being double tied into a spar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also thought this was a must read for this topic. Plus good picture of entire setup.

Just copy and paste and take the space out between (tree and buzz) and it should work fine. it wont let me post the exact link on here

www.tree buzz.com/pdf/tie-in.pdf

That link was used in post #9 on this thread. FYI, you can use the url address instead of the url name it will not be censored (don't tell anybody). Here's how to enter it in a post: :cool:

http://74.220.17.2/pdf/tie-in.pdf

Plas -

Here's a good article & "good picture" that should answer your question":

Tie-In Technique

- Jack

That link was used in post #9 on this thread. FYI, you can use the url address instead of the url name it will not be censored (don't tell anybody). Here's how to enter it in a post: :cool:

http://74.220.17.2/pdf/tie-in.pdf

My bad, guess I should have read all the way thru, howh do you get the url address vs name???

My bad, guess I should have read all the way thru, howh do you get the url address vs name???

Actually what you want is the "IP" address for the "URL". There are several lookup services. Here's one example:
http://www.who.is/whois/arboristsite.com/
Just type in the name of the site and look for its "IP ADDRESS" on the web page.

PLEASE excuse the tempory hi-jack, Plasmech!!!
Now back your regularly scheduled programming (thread):

being double tied into a spar question

Last edited:
yeah it can be done a variation of ways. With the pulley and ring is what Rich Hattier found works best for him. The revolver isnt necesary so much. I have heard that the smallest ISC biner the gator or the gecko, works well as it noses right in there. I like the biner and eight because it is only one thing to unclip and manage. the pulley is two pieces to try to handle with gloves and frozen fingers. But I think it does work well. I have not had any issue with the revolver twisting around.
I keep my tether long for a variety of reasons but it can sometimes be tricky working it through a crotch.

I tried a gri gri finally. And I would have to say the decent felt really choppy and I could not really feather it or feel comfortable to engage it while I was swinging or jumping. I have not tried a cinch.

i like climbing on the thicker poison ivy or 16 strand lines.

yeah it can be done a variation of ways. With the pulley and ring is what Rich Hattier found works best for him. The revolver isnt necesary so much. I have heard that the smallest ISC biner the gator or the gecko, works well as it noses right in there. I like the biner and eight because it is only one thing to unclip and manage. the pulley is two pieces to try to handle with gloves and frozen fingers. But I think it does work well. I have not had any issue with the revolver twisting around.
I keep my tether long for a variety of reasons but it can sometimes be tricky working it through a crotch.

I tried a gri gri finally. And I would have to say the decent felt really choppy and I could not really feather it or feel comfortable to engage it while I was swinging or jumping. I have not tried a cinch.

i like climbing on the thicker poison ivy or 16 strand lines.

I'm new to the GG, too. I've found to "feather it" is frustrating, too. So, I treat it the way I do an f8. The instructions specify the GG is meant to be two-handed. That is, pull the lever, then control the rate of descent with the right hand - much like with an f8. Then, it definitely works better than f8, because when you let go you don't end up on your back, 50 feet down.

I've used an f8 all my life for a descent - the GG is a step up - but I'm still working on getting most out of it - you really have to think different.

Last edited:
yeah, i think that is what i didnt like about the gri gri. That you had to use two hands to decend with. It was hard on like a limb walk and i have one hand on the tree and then with the other hand operate the lever just right. Like either too much or too little.m im sure it comes with practice.
I guess I just am so used to how a hitch functions from climbing dDRt. Being able to set up a RADS is the one huge advantage of a gri gri or a cinch. I have not been able to figure out how yet with the F8 Revolver set up.

yeah, i think that is what i didnt like about the gri gri. That you had to use two hands to decend with. It was hard on like a limb walk and i have one hand on the tree and then with the other hand operate the lever just right. Like either too much or too little.m im sure it comes with practice.
I guess I just am so used to how a hitch functions from climbing dDRt. Being able to set up a RADS is the one huge advantage of a gri gri or a cinch. I have not been able to figure out how yet with the F8 Revolver set up.

The GG does have its ups and downs. I think that it doesn't work as well with a 1/2" as it would with a bit smaller line.

For SRT, you can utilize it in ways that you can't utilize a hitch.

Rope weight is an issue. I sometimes will pull up a bight and clip it off to my harness, so that I have 10' of rope pulling down instead of a lot more.

I will just close the cam with my hand rather than the lever, if I am not putting too much weight on it, and don't have too much rope hanging down.

It is not a be-all-end-all tool, but it has its place, especially with RADS. Easy to shoot high in the tree, through a good crotch, and tie-off to the base of tree/ POW/ LD. Climb a little and you're ready to limbwalk for canopy raises on conifers.

A gri gri can only be utilized in a RADS type of system though right? As far as Ive seen its the only way to go directly up a rope while remaining clipped in to the gri gri. A hitch can be used as or in conjunction with acenders quite easily.

Back