Belay Loop on saddles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was wondering what the usage of the Belay loop is for on the back of tree saddles? i have been climbing for 4 years now and havent a clue what its used for. please explain

Holds my suspenders up ...

i was wondering what the usage of the Belay loop is for on the back of tree saddles? ... please explain

Mine is only used as the attachment point for the full fall protection top portion of my Buckingham Master Classic saddle. Something I use most often to keep my saw from pulling down my saddle when hung on the side.

I suppose it could be used to belay a climber with a separate line. Using it to train a newbee might be a thought.

i was wondering what the usage of the Belay loop is for on the back of tree saddles? i have been climbing for 4 years now and havent a clue what its used for. please explain

I think it's for what they call Aussie repelling? Some of the guys from down under might be able to chime in on the usage. I think swat teams use it so they can shoot while repelling too. Not sure on any of that but if you were interested you can always try google. I hear you can find some neat stuff on that site.

belay loop is used for just that belay. Training a newb, wanna climb fast to the top shoot a line high down though a friction device or a strong/smart groundie and climb.

Could prolly work for a the for the Australian rappel, but i did read somewhere the are for a static load ONLY.

Aussie rappel ~ run and shoot ...

belay loop is used for just that belay. Training a newb, wanna climb fast to the top shoot a line high down though a friction device or a strong/smart groundie and climb.

Could prolly work for a the for the Australian rappel, but i did read somewhere the are for a static load ONLY.

That it is called a "belay loop" would indicate to Capt Obvious that it was the intention.

A running rappel is best accomplished from the standard front bridge because you need to make a turn at the end of it or do a face plant at the bottom. Taking fire while on a rope is not a good place to be, it's used more in shows than in actual combat.

sorry bout that. i shoulda specified a bit more as to what the question was pertaining to. why would you even use it in a tree care application? if its a pro work saddle then why does it have a training loop?

I happen to know, for a fact, that it all started with these two guys named Wes n Cody. They were working on covert ops with the Aussies and needed a good way to train commandos to shoot while rappelling. So the rear mounted belay loop was what they came up with. Many saddles still come with this loop as more of a tradition thing. The loop would still work for this purpose although no one talks about it for obv reasons.

how can that make sense when some saddles have the loop yet they state its not rated for fall arrest???

I have one on my Petzl saddle. It's not rated for fall arrest either. Mine was intended for use with a secur suspender which is used to attach a croll chest ascender for SRT and rope walking applications. At least that's what the handbook says it's for.

Those two really are something. There accoplishments in life and in our industry are truely amazing.

Dang and I was told it was the pull cord to deploy the built in parachute on my safety saddle, actually maybe that was on my super hero accessory belt? Great now I have to read the instruction booklet again.

as far as 'professional' on the saddle I only have two comments
1) Just cause you bought one surely DON'T make you one.
2) Would you have bought it if it said 'knee shaking scaredy newbie' on it? I surely don't think so.

so like just cause the other guys name is 'Arial Arborist' do you think he flies trees or trims trees on planes......
and his avitar is a tractor so is he a delussional landscaper who really wants to be a tree dude?

nuthin personal Arial- just having some fun after work, enjoying this comical thread.

Scrat

i bought my viking/puma as an upgrade from my previous back up saddle which was a buckingham butt strap that hurts soo bad to wear that i cant even focus. i say buy your saddle for comfort. im a strong beliver that working in comfort helps you to focus on the job at hand and not on the pain your hips are in with the crappy saddle your wearing.

thanks for the replys. i figured my viking/puma saddle has the belay loop for static loads and not fall arrest while other saddles have one for fall arrest. in TCC comps, do you attatch your belay to the back loop or the front? does the judges give you the option to choose? also in secured footlock do you need a fall arest portion or can you attatch to the belay loop? thanks

i bought my viking/puma as an upgrade from my previous back up saddle which was a buckingham butt strap that hurts soo bad to wear that i cant even focus. i say buy your saddle for comfort. im a strong beliver that working in comfort helps you to focus on the job at hand and not on the pain your hips are in with the crappy saddle your wearing.

thanks for the replys. i figured my viking/puma saddle has the belay loop for static loads and not fall arrest while other saddles have one for fall arrest. in TCC comps, do you attatch your belay to the back loop or the front? does the judges give you the option to choose? also in secured footlock do you need a fall arest portion or can you attatch to the belay loop? thanks

Fall arrest attachments MUST be dorsal or ventral and at the level of your sternum. A loop on the back of a climbing saddle then DOES NOT qualify as a suitable fall arrest attachment.

In TCC's there are 2 events in which belay is used. In the speed climb or speed belay a ground person tends slack below your prussic so the name is a little misleading. There is no separate belay line attached to your harness. In foot lock, climbers must be belayed on a separate line and this line again must conform to the fall arrest attachment requirements. In fact it is now common practise to have climbers complete foot lock in a full body harness, supplied by the organisers.

The only practical use a loop of the type you describe has for a skilled climber is as an attachment for an SRT shoulder harness with a chest croll. Or as a nifty way to hang your harness on a coat hook......:D

Back