Belt driven stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millbilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been playing int the tree world for over thirty years now. Most of my equipment is older, but its mine and its paid for. Anyway I have an older vermeer 630A, the cutter wheel is turned by 2, two ribbed belts. The pair of belts sell for a little over $80 and last from 5 stumps to 60 depending on conditions and the type of teeth.

So I got to thinking, since my belt had become glazed and would slip at the drop of a hat and didn't have anytime on them at all and I was sick of replacing them. Then the light came on lets try "belt dressing". All I can say is, WOW!

It was an incredible experience, the machine went hammer down, balls to the wall with minimal power loss. I can't believe no one has ever tried this, or if they have I never heard anyone talk about using belt dressing.

Good idea if it's slipping prematurely. . I have a sc252 it doesn't slip unless your deep in the dirt. I guess it's better the belt slips than the engine die. Mine has the double belt too. I bought it used and the guy had a gates hi power II A 64 belt on it ,, got one on amazon for $26 I think it's a little shorter than original but easily adjusted to work great.

I've been using belt dressing on the engine to jackshaft belt on my carlton 8018 for sometime. It allows you to run them a little looser. Easier on bearings. Ive also switched from the banded 6 V belt to 6 individual kevlar belts. They fit into the pulley grooves a little deeper and you can run them looser with minimal slippage.

MOE...good post and very astute advice re running them looser to be easier on bearings, thanks !

I've been using belt dressing on the engine to jackshaft belt on my carlton 8018 for sometime. It allows you to run them a little looser. Easier on bearings. Ive also switched from the banded 6 V belt to 6 individual kevlar belts. They fit into the pulley grooves a little deeper and you can run them looser with minimal slippage.
That's a good idea on the 6 individual Kevlar belts, do you have a belt/part # for them? Also, have you ever had to replace your jack shaft of jack shaft bearings?

That's a good idea on the 6 individual Kevlar belts, do you have a belt/part # for them? Also, have you ever had to replace your jack shaft of jack shaft bearings?
Sorry I did reply sooner. I have replaced a jack shaft bearing. Thete are two sets. The outer suppors the jackshaft itself and is a common qmc style bearing. Get it from a bearing supplier. The inner bearinds support the cutter wheel boom and I have not touched those

Here is the v belts I used. They are kevlar. They are 1' bigger than belt from rayco but there is enough adjustment.

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_150540323.jpg
    IMG_20151114_150540323.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back