Bench mounted chain sharpeners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WESCOMAN

WESCOMAN

ArboristSite Operative
I am in the market for a professional electric chain sharpener. Anyone have a favorite? I am looking at the Stihl model and also the Oregon 511A. Any others I should be looking at? Thanks.

lumberjach

lumberjach

ArboristSite Operative
In my expierience any of them will cut a chains life in half. If I were to go with one I would say you have narrowed it down to a couple of good choices.

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use the oregon 511A, its been good to me, though I dont use it too often these days. I havent been cutting enough wood to justify grinding a chain to use the grinder. it does do a great job though.

woodsrider

woodsrider

ArboristSite Member
Billy_Bob said:
I was just looking at these, but very expensive, so I'll need to ask Santa...
http://www.madsens1.com/sub5.htm
Whoa....I could buy a lifetime of chains for the price of that Silvey grinder!! I think I'll have to stick with my cheesy hand files and roller file guide!
38819001-Ti.gif

Gravely Grinch

Gravely Grinch

ArboristSite Operative
I bought a 511 from Madsens a couple of years ago, money well spent. It works great. They only grind one direction tho....away from you. Some simple wiring and a DPDT switch fixes that.

Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Watch ebay for the Silvey,
another one to look for is a Simgington "SP" Where Z4luch when you need him.
They come up on ebay and there is no other grinder that can compare to the silvey.
Ask that putz Gypo Loggster about one?

Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Here's one that went for 400 shipped on the used area offered by Z4lunch.
attachment_27093.php

Here's another one I sold for 150.00 to Vinnie
attachment.php

They are out there. But don't buy those cheapy one they will ruin your chain faster than Tommy Fales will.

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
woodsrider said:
Whoa....I could buy a lifetime of chains for the price of that Silvey grinder!! I think I'll have to stick with my cheesy hand files and roller file guide!
38819001-Ti.gif

While this may be true, once you get a chance to see a square ground chain in action you may change your mind!

Used Silveys can be found if you look and are patient!

Last edited:
Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Lawn Masters said:
I use the oregon 511A, its been good to me, though I dont use it too often these days. I havent been cutting enough wood to justify grinding a chain to use the grinder. it does do a great job though.

The sell or trade it to cover other needs/obligations.

Bill

neverenough

neverenough

ArboristSite Member
I picked up a one year old Tecomec, which is exactly like the 511A, for $75 at an auction. They work quite well for the non pro user. Best edge I have ever had on a chain is right after grinding, I touch it up with a file. Better than any factory edge (not much, but none the less, better). Search, on this site for things like Tecomec, electric chain grinder, 511A, ect... and you will find loads of info. Yes, there are much better grinders out there, but, IMO, unless you cut and sharpen for a living, you will be just as happy with the lower cost models like the Tecomec and 511A. Strictly my opinion, but....

Vman

ArboristSite Operative
Marky Mark said:
Here's another one I sold for 150.00 to Vinnie
They are out there. But don't buy those cheapy one they will ruin your chain faster than Tommy Fales will.

that tecomec does the job good for me (for a heavy home-owner user) only sacraficed 1 really old chain to get it figured out.

Marky Mark....hows the trappin'?
Vinnie

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
neverenough said:
I picked up a one year old Tecomec, which is exactly like the 511A, for $75 at an auction. They work quite well for the non pro user. Best edge I have ever had on a chain is right after grinding, I touch it up with a file. Better than any factory edge (not much, but none the less, better). Search, on this site for things like Tecomec, electric chain grinder, 511A, ect... and you will find loads of info. Yes, there are much better grinders out there, but, IMO, unless you cut and sharpen for a living, you will be just as happy with the lower cost models like the Tecomec and 511A. Strictly my opinion, but....

Hey I like my Silveys as much as the next guy but have to admit that the Tecomec/Oregon grinder is the workhorse that most small shops and arbos and loggers running round ground use. There is nothing wrong with it`s durability. It`s primary shortcoming is that the operator needs to be skilled enough to know that he needs to compensate for the changing centerpoint as the wheel decreases in diameter. Using a borazon wheel overcomes this issue but most people don`t want to make the investment.

My Maxx grinder which has only ground about a hundred chains has a bearing noise in the motor. It sounds like the outboard bearing so getting at it should be easier than the inboard bearing. Maybe I just got a less than perfect one?

Russ

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Gravely Grinch said:
I bought a 511 from Madsens a couple of years ago, money well spent. It works great. They only grind one direction tho....away from you. Some simple wiring and a DPDT switch fixes that.

Do you have a wiring diagram for this mod? Is it the diagram that has you add a switch to the existing circuit? I`ve done this to one of my grinders but would like a cleaner installation.

I`ve looked at the switches on a couple with factory wired bi-directional motors and they have nine terminals, three rows of three. Wouldn`t that be a TPDT switch? I know enough about wiring motors to be dangerous. :D

Russ

Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Vman said:
that tecomec does the job good for me (for a heavy home-owner user) only sacraficed 1 really old chain to get it figured out.

Marky Mark....hows the trappin'?
Vinnie

Hey Vinnie,
I never cold find that diagram to make that grinder go backwards, did you work on that. The trapping is a little slow right now since the crops aren't all cut. There's plenty of time to lay steel and hang fur.

As Russ stated that's all the grinder most need, but once you run a Square ground chain your hooked for life.

Russ it's nice that the site is back to normal the best thing was HK.