Bench mounted chain sharpeners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neverenough

neverenough

ArboristSite Member
jokers said:
Hey I like my Silveys as much as the next guy but have to admit that the Tecomec/Oregon grinder is the workhorse that most small shops and arbos and loggers running round ground use. There is nothing wrong with it`s durability. It`s primary shortcoming is that the operator needs to be skilled enough to know that he needs to compensate for the changing centerpoint as the wheel decreases in diameter. Using a borazon wheel overcomes this issue but most people don`t want to make the investment.

My Maxx grinder which has only ground about a hundred chains has a bearing noise in the motor. It sounds like the outboard bearing so getting at it should be easier than the inboard bearing. Maybe I just got a less than perfect one?

Russ

I'm just getting to the centering part of using mine. I set it up for a new wheel, and I've only dressed it once. I think what I'm going to try for centering as the wheel shrinks is, get 6" of new chain and set it up in the vise. I figure that if the wheel touchs both sides the same, with a new chain, the vise should be close to centered. Right??? or am I completely missing the mark here.

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Behind the chain vise is a set screw that centres the chain in the vise. Centre is also effected by the shims between the faces of the vise.
I usually treat each side as though it were another chain, measuring each cutter with a plastic vernier caliper.
John

neverenough

neverenough

ArboristSite Member
So you set up one side at a time, not centering so that when you move the vise from one side to the other, the wheel is hitting the chain the same as the previous side???? So the "centering" I'm after is, centering on the cutter, not the chain???

WESCOMAN

WESCOMAN

ArboristSite Operative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypo Logger
Square ground chain off the roll doesn't cut any better than round chisel off the roll.
Gypo Logger said:
......True!, but......

A well filed round ground chain cuts as fast as sq. chain for work, it's just that sq. chain is much smoother.John

.......Ahhhhh Bullsh!t! Maybe your square ground chain, but not mine! If ground properly, square ground chain is much faster.

LMAO :laugh: -

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey WESCOMAN,

If you add [/QUOTE] to the end of the statement from Gypo Logger, it will show the whole statement as a quotation within a box. It makes it much easier to seperate his statements from yours and is consequently easier to read.

Yeah old Gypo really believes that round is just as fast as square, that`s why he has $2K usd in a Silvey Pro Sharp. :laugh:

Beware the trolls!

Russ