• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Bench or wall mount chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for something decent. I also have plenty of saws, parts, or projects to trade if that's something that will get the right grinder to my shop.

Honestly I'm not sure of the difference between the 511a and the 511ax. Which one is better in your opinion. If you'd like to pm some prices or pics that would be cool. Or if there's anything that you might want to trade also.

100 threads on the pros and cons of each grinder. I will be making a new thread for side by side comparison of all of them. Maybe you want to hold out for the good long thread I'll make and you can make your choice...

Looking for something decent.
Looking on advice for something to buy, or looking for a used one to trade?

Either way, I would recommend that you look at full-sized (5-3/4 inch wheels) grinders, and stick with name brands (Oregon, Tecomec, etc), which are supported, hold their value, and for which replacement parts are available. Some guys will tell you to buy the $100-$120 clone grinders. Some will tell you to hold out for a Silvey (no longer made) or a STIHL ($$$).

Honestly I'm not sure of the difference between the 511a and the 511ax.

The Oregon 511A has a simple cam lock vise that holds the drive links at one spot. The 511AX replaced this with a self-centering vise, that holds multiple drive links, but some guys had trouble with the vise after heavy use. The current model, 520, uses a multi-point cam vise. There is also a hydraulic clamp version that some guys find very convenient. Made in Italy. Some of these are also available under the Tecomec name, or sold by Bailey's as 'Jolly Star', etc.

The quality of the wheels is also important.

Sometimes these show up used in CL or in the Trading Post. If we were closer we might look into some type of deal, but the cost of shipping can really make things unattractive.

Philbert

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Chain-Grinders-Wheels/Bench-Mounted-Chain-Grinders/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-oregon-chain-grinders-2015.270287/

100 threads on the pros and cons of each grinder. I will be making a new thread for side by side comparison of all of them. Maybe you want to hold out for the good long thread I'll make and you can make your choice...
Yep I just realized that after I read your post and did a quick search. Kinda sounds like the ax is the better of the two but I'm sure they'll both work fine. I'll wait and see what you've got to say.

Looking on advice for something to buy, or looking for a used one to trade?

Either way, I would recommend that you look at full-sized (5-3/4 inch wheels) grinders, and stick with name brands (Oregon, Tecomec, etc), which are supported, hold their value, and for which replacement parts are available. Some guys will tell you to buy the $100-$120 clone grinders. Some will tell you to hold out for a Silvey (no longer made) or a STIHL ($$$).

The Oregon 511A has a simple cam lock vise that holds the drive links at one spot. The 511AX replaced this with a self-centering vise, that holds multiple drive links, but some guys had trouble with the vise after heavy use. The current model, 520, uses a multi-point cam vise. There is also a hydraulic clamp version that some guys find very convenient. Made in Italy. Some of these are also available under the Tecomec name, or sold by Bailey's as 'Jolly Star', etc.

The quality of the wheels is also important.

Sometimes these show up used in CL or in the Trading Post. If we were closer we might look into some type of deal, but the cost of shipping can really make things unattractive.

Philbert

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Chain-Grinders-Wheels/Bench-Mounted-Chain-Grinders/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-oregon-chain-grinders-2015.270287/
Thanks Philbert, I'll have to check around a little more.
By the way, last year in the Christmas giving thread you gave me a bar clamp for sharpening and I use that thing EVERY time I sharpen and love it. The only thing is the little round piece that swivels and does the actual clamping comes off now. I tried to crimp it back on with some pliers but it doesn't want to stay. I have to say though, I've used it many many times and on some uneven surfaces which is why the round part comes off now. Thanks again for that.

The only thing is the little round piece that swivels and does the actual clamping comes off now.
A not-uncommon problem! Apparently, replacement parts are available for some clamps, if you know the brand and model. As I recall, that was 'no-brand' clamp. But the attached might give you ideas.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-12-26 at 9.53.34 AM.png Screen shot 2015-12-26 at 9.54.50 AM.png Screen shot 2015-12-26 at 9.55.44 AM.png

A not-uncommon problem! Apparently, replacement parts are available for some clamps, if you know the brand and model. As I recall, that was 'no-brand' clamp. But the attached might give you ideas.

Philbert

View attachment 473322 View attachment 473323 View attachment 473324
Thanks Philbert, I never would have thought that you could just get a replacement piece like that. It's not really a major problem but if I can replace it, it would be nice. I thought of just gluing the piece back on but then I'd lose the swivel factor.

Unless you are buying for a shop, where it will be use several times a day, a clone will more then do the job.

Learning how to use the grinder is the trick. Some shops with expensive grinders, run by some kid that doesn't even own a chainsaw, will ruin your chain real quick.

What are you looking for? Several of mine will be up for sale soon. Most likely a 511a and 511AX. Might also have a Silvey or Simington hit the market soon.

I'd be interested if you have a Silvey round ground grinder that needs a new home. Much to my wife's dismay, I'm starting a saw sharpening service and I need a machine capable of grinding miles of 3/8" chain. Email works best for me - [email protected] - thanks in advance!

I need a machine capable of grinding miles of 3/8" chain.
The Oregon / Tecomec grinders will do that. Plus, you might be able to buy 2 for the price of a Silvey and keep different wheels on each. A lot of guys keep 3 grinders set up for 1/8" wheels, 3/16" wheels, and 1/4" or 5/16" for depth gauges. Saves a lot of time if you are sharpening as a business.

Philbert

I'm a stickler for top quality and have a Silvey 300 with a borazon wheel and a Bell K-245 - so I have 2/3 of what I need - do you have a good Silvey that needs a new home?

Latest posts

Back