Best 50cc saw in the world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care who you send that 260 to, it will always be a turd! I don't know what Stihls problem is, but they can't build a 50cc saw to save their butt!!
I'm a Stihl man, but it's true!! The 260 has been dead for a long time and the 270 was a joke before it started!! And yes, I HAVE run them.

Man your back must hurt!:cheers:

I don't care who you send that 260 to, it will always be a turd! I don't know what Stihls problem is, but they can't build a 50cc saw to save their butt!!
I'm a Stihl man, but it's true!! The 260 has been dead for a long time and the 270 was a joke before it started!! And yes, I HAVE run them.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. No, it's not my favorite work saw, but a turd they are not.

No shirt? I forgot about the 346 limiter in the coil. Makes modding more spendy. The muffler I assumed, like any saw mod. :monkey:

Any other option on the 026 other than an 044 carb? Seems a bit of a steep step UP for the baby 50cc.

If you could find a good carb guy, I'm sure he could install a bigger jet or drill that one out on the 026 carb. As Brad said, it is more work but sure worth the effort.

That does sound like a big step for a 50cc saw but it works, must be on a ported saw though, I dont' see a stocker gaining near as much.

I was considering a 5100 before the 044 carb swap, now I'm happy with my old 026.:D I might add a 5100 later on though.

066 and 088 carbs on 026s work good also but they are not for work.:D:D:D

Last edited:

Step away from the pain killers......:jester:

Drink a few beers with them and be like>:dizzy:

If you could find a good carb guy, I'm sure he could install a bigger jet or drill that one out on the 026 carb. As Brad said, it is more work but sure worth the effort.

That does sound like a big step for a 50cc saw but it works, must be on a ported saw though, I dont' see a stocker gaining near as much.

I was considering a 5100 before the 044 carb swap, now I'm happy with my old 026.:D I might add a 5100 later on though.

What did you end up doing for a choke with the 044 carb?

Andy step away from the keyboard.......Your eyes are getting blurry!!!

What did you end up doing for a choke with the 044 carb?

I modded the factory air filter and have it rigged for now, I need to play with it some more but I've been running the 211 hard lately. I got the 044's choke shaft and plate out and sealed the holes with some clear poxy, may end up using some JB weld after I get it all worked out.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. No, it's not my favorite work saw, but a turd they are not.

Call it how you want Brad, the 50cc class seems to be the "redhead stepchild" to all but Dolmar! I am still waiting to run a 5100!
I've run 026's, ms260's, 346xp's and so on. They have all left me wanting more. The 350 impressed me as it weighed less and had tourqe to finish the cut.

Now, I respect my choice is not popular at all!! With a LOT of GOOD arguments, the plastic crankase being number one. To which I will not dissagree about any of them.
But I want a saw that will cut, doesn't bog, I don't have to baby and runs forever.
Well, it ran four years before modding, it's going on two after modding.
If you don't think I have a clue what I am doing, not a problem. PM Bowtie, and see what he has to say about that "lowly 350". He also got to run the 046 that day. He's got no reason to lie. I don't know why they are so far off the mark, but I will say the same thing about the 346xp(oe) Brad, "turds"!!!!!!

I modded the factory air filter and have it rigged for now, I need to play with it some more but I've been running the 211 hard lately. I got the 044's choke shaft and plate out and sealed the holes with some clear poxy, may end up using some JB weld after I get it all worked out.

I think the plastic shaft that pushes the choke in the 260 filter could be extended to operate the 044 carb. But I've still not messed with that. I have the 260 choke plate removed.

Call it how you want Brad, the 50cc class seems to be the "redhead stepchild" to all but Dolmar! I am still waiting to run a 5100!
I've run 026's, ms260's, 346xp's and so on. They have all left me wanting more. The 350 impressed me as it weighed less and had tourqe to finish the cut.

Now, I respect my choice is not popular at all!! With a LOT of GOOD arguments, the plastic crankase being number one. To which I will not dissagree about any of them.
But I want a saw that will cut, doesn't bog, I don't have to baby and runs forever.
Well, it ran four years before modding, it's going on two after modding.
If you don't think I have a clue what I am doing, not a problem. PM Bowtie, and see what he has to say about that "lowly 350". He also got to run the 046 that day. He's got no reason to lie. I don't know why they are so far off the mark, but I will say the same thing about the 346xp(oe) Brad, "turds"!!!!!!

Yeah, ya need to run a 5100, they sure have that torque you are after.

I think the plastic shaft that pushes the choke in the 260 filter could be extended to operate the 044 carb. But I've still not messed with that. I have the 260 choke plate removed.

I've only played with it a few times, it's back apart on the bench for now with the light bulb over my head blinking on and off. Everytime I want to mess with it something else comes up. When I get this one right, I'll do my other one the same way but with a different top end.

Back