Best 50cc saw in the world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing wrong with having a 50cc saw. You really cant go wrong with the Stihl, Husky or Dolmar. Seems like 380 is a fair deal for a new saw, def not used though.

Would you or buy an F350 to get groceries?

Absolutely not, I'd get a Cummins instead!

I bought my Echo CS-520 off of Ebay last winter for $300. It always starts on the 2nd pull and will cut just as fast as an MS 260 (not to mention it starts a lot easier than a 260 does).

Stihl 026.

In 1991 there was a massive ice storm that hit the north east, our area lost power for over a week, and caused tons of damage. During the clean up from this storm about 3 million Stihl 026's were sold locally. I still service many of these 026's weekly, they are 18 years old been in constant use for the most part. There are faster, lighter, more powerful 50cc saws, but i wonder how many will be still in service 18 years from now, and how many of those 026's from 1991 will still be around.

The best 50cc Saw with no hesitation is the Stihl MS270

Yea, look at the specs and others will talk about other saws. You have to actually RUN the saw to know, and I have run the 270 hard and heavy and in the worst possible conditions. It cuts like a champ and there is absolutely zero vibration feedback. Cut all day and the rest of your body is screaming, your arms are fine.

Maybe it’s the ergonomics added in, but it has no affect weight wise. Arms are never tired.

If you want, you can move up a notch to the MS280, same frame, larger bore (but that’s like a 55cc if I remember right.)

:laugh: If that is the best, Lord help who ever has the worst !

Last edited:
I think the best 50cc saw in the world is the slow, overweight, noisy, mac 10-10.

It's 10x better than a dolmar 5100...........if you use it as a boat anchor:greenchainsaw:

I bought my Echo CS-520 off of Ebay last winter for $300. It always starts on the 2nd pull and will cut just as fast as an MS 260 (not to mention it starts a lot easier than a 260 does).

odd, my 026's start in 2 pulls, assuming I hit the choke switch in time.

Then the best 50cc saw would probably be the little built 346xp/NE that BookerDog had at the PNW GTG. I did not see it, nor run it, but I heard rave reviews about it from some hard nosed old timers. I dunno what he has into it though. Over $650?

I would like to get a 346xp/NE, but I may stoop to getting a good used 026 Stihl to have one brand of saw, and stick with the inboard clutch. I would love to see a Dolmar 5100 in a store around here. :monkey:

I've had and ran the 028 super and it was not very impressive at all IMO. My buddy bought the new 346. He let me run it and it ran good. No way in heck would I trade off my 270 for 1. The 270 is my go to saw over the 361 even for up to 16''. I like the power and cushion of the 270. JMO:cheers:

Then the best 50cc saw would probably be the little built 346xp/NE that BookerDog had at the PNW GTG. I did not see it, nor run it, but I heard rave reviews about it from some hard nosed old timers. I dunno what he has into it though. Over $650?

I would like to get a 346xp/NE, but I may stoop to getting a good used 026 Stihl to have one brand of saw, and stick with the inboard clutch. I would love to see a Dolmar 5100 in a store around here. :monkey:

A ported 026/260 can be made just as fast.

last i checked my 361 was 59cc......why is it not considered a 50cc saw.

Becasue it is 9cc over 50.

49.5 would be ok, 50.5 would be ok, but the 361 (as fine a saw as its reputed to be) is not a 50cc class saw, its a 60CC class saw.

I agree you can make a 260 a screamer, and they are super nice handling saws! But why wouldn't stihl port them or do something to keep up with the competition? The 260 is underpowered as is stock, I ran mine with my 345 a 45 cc home owner saw , it was very close, the 260 should smoke it! Stihl needs to do something IMO great handling saw, built strong, needs more power!

I agree you can make a 260 a screamer, and they are super nice handling saws! But why wouldn't stihl port them or do something to keep up with the competition? The 260 is underpowered as is stock, I ran mine with my 345 a 45 cc home owner saw , it was very close, the 260 should smoke it! Stihl needs to do something IMO great handling saw, built strong, needs more power!

At Stihl, the 260 was destined to be discontinued and obsolete long ago. But sales and demand was so good they kept making and selling them. No need to redesign a great seller, regardless of what we think. 2010 EPA regs will finally put the stake in it for good.

The replacement was supposed to be the 270... dunno what Stihl will have in the 50cc line. The 362 will be the new 60cc saw, and the 441 is already the 70cc. saw. The 211 is the new 30cc saw. No 40cc or 50cc saw news from Stihl yet.

Latest posts

Back