Best 50cc saw in the world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outdated BS - sorry, but the 346xp is way better, and the winner of the 50cc contest.

The somewhat distant runner-up is the 5100S, no Stihl is even close in that class......:givebeer:

Hey Troll, are you feelin all right? Did you bump your head? The 5100 a distant runner-up? Come on now, I know everybody has their opinions, but give credit were credit is due!!

The 260 can be just as quick if not quicker, it's a better built saw imo also.
Didnt say i liked the 346 better its just a different saw. I prefer the 260 myself. The 260 pro in my house is the wife's precious I have only ran it a few times. I very rarely run anything under 70cc unless Im in a tree. I would also add is a pretty un biased opinion as Im swicthing my go to saw fromStihl to husky but the 346 is nice but I still like the 260 over the 346.

Last edited:
Hey Troll, are you feelin all right? Did you bump your head? The 5100 a distant runner-up? Come on now, I know everybody has their opinions, but give credit were credit is due!!

Hey, the Troll has a 5100s (or rather, his deceased wife's) and he has a 346xp/NE. I think he is more than qualified to make that stement about the 50cc saw class. If it were my wife that passed away, I would be bonkers myself.

So why don't YOU give the Troll some credit, eh?

Hey, the Troll has a 5100s (or rather, his deceased wife's) and he has a 346xp/NE. I think he is more than qualified to make that stement about the 50cc saw class. If it were my wife that passed away, I would be bonkers myself.

All right, point taken. Next round's on me! :cheers:

Has he ever used either saw??? .....Last I heard they weren't even broke in yet .....

Btw ....I have both the 2153 and 5100 ...Make mine a 5100...

Thought so.....361 is the baddest saw from 50cc to 59.0cc swweeeettt

So, what you are saying is that a Ford 302 would be in the same class as a 358.

That's absurdly ridiculous. Reminds me of Bushes compassionate conservatism. Sheese. Dumb Dumb dumb. You are just making stupid noise. Only good thing is you at least own a good saw. Maybe there is hope.

50CC class is close to 50cc. If you want to call it 49 to 51, that's fine.

Realistically you will find there is a 55CC class saw between the 50 and the 59.

I have degenerated disks in L4/L5 and L5/S1. Bilateral sciatica. Some days are better than others. I do not know how many Rx drugs later, I screwed up my gut from too many NSAIDs. Several MRIs and 13 doctors later, NO SURGERY (I refused to have spinal fusion), years of physical therapy and a lot of screaming insurance comanies threatening to cut me off, I can still walk and cut wood with my saws.

I can run the 361 all day. I could only run my 460 for two hours tops. I have a two hour limit on the 044 as well, though it is lighter than the 460 was. I need to replace the AV bumpers on it, as they are getting stiff. I suppose I should look at selling my 044 and getting a 372 or a 441. The real limiter is usually my tendonitis, not my back. AV is my friend. As are ice, and the hot tub, back and arm braces, and some luck.

Honestly, I didn't notice much difference in weight between the 361 and 044, with 20" on both, myself! But yes, I am noticing the 046 isn't as much fun as it was two years ago!!!
And yeah, the 'tabs, are taking there toll on me as well!

I would take a modded 357 over a modded 361 anyday.

Matter of fact I am modding another 357 as we speak.

Thanks for the honest answer!

I don't know if anyone really cares, but.... I have run 359's 360's 357's 372's 6400's 7900's the list goes on. There are two saws in my mind that rock this category: 262 xp which is really out of the category and the Dolmar 115. I have a woods ported 115i that has felt better and outcut any of the newer saws even the new 5100. I'm sold on that model and they're cheap.

I am a HUGE fan of the 262, but they are old, hard to find and not without their problems! Coils being number one and small bar mount number two.
I have also heard good things about the 115si and 116si. But they are not all that common either.

I have an older 026, a 5100 and now a 346NE (all stock).

The 026 has been a good saw for maybe the last 14 yrs or so, but is a little more tired than it was.

The 5100 is much smoother and stronger than the 026, but I have never warmed up to the feel of it esp the slow return to idle. AV good, but the saw always felt a bit clubby. (Now the 7900 I love.)

I am really liking the 346, which is waking up a little each tank. Nimble and well balance with explosive response.

If I was pulling an 18 inch bar buried all day the 5100 is probably the stronger of the two (I would rather use a bigger saw anyway for that). But for up close trimming and small bar work -- say up to 12 inches diameter -- the 346 is by far my favorite now of the three. It's a nice refined little package and the eager power makes me grin. (I think the silver side cover looks stupid, though.)

I generally don't run anything smaller than my 7900s, but I look for excuses to run the 346 - a little shredder with a 16 inch bar and 3/8 square. AIr filter seems to stay very clean, and it cuts a lot of wood on a tank while smoking and smelling less than any other saw I own even for it's size. I didn't think I'd use the compression release, but it makes starting it absolutely effortless so I find myself using it. It is a bit louder than the other two saws of it's size,but since it's so small it's not an issue. (My redmax 3200 (32cc) sounds a little like a weedwacker when I run them back to back.)

I even bought a carving bar and run 1/4 pitch chain on it partly to find more excuses to run it. Never did that with my 026 or 5100.

I bought it out of curiousity and because the dealer gave me a good deal, and now I am really glad I did.

Last edited:
I have a 346XP OE and now a 254XP. 254 has become my main firewood saw...absolutely love it. She's been beaten but runs very well...I'd like to see what she does next to a 5100. Definately faster than the 346 in anything over 10".

thanks....ill keep my 59 cc saw in the 50cc class then...not 60cc....so by that rule of someone.. the 440 and 361 are in the same class....not

I ignore your reality and substitute my own:dunno:

Back