Best 50cc when modded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotjava66

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know 50's were just discussed in stock form, my question is which one if you intend to have it woods ported etc? Weight is also a big factor here, back problems are pushing for using a smaller saw for most cutting. Been using a modded 372xp and will keep it for bigger stuff, love the power and speed though, want the same in a smaller saw. Also had an older 346xp, really only used it for trimming etc because the 372 is so much faster. Nice saw, but lacking in torque. Was going to have it modded but a family member wanted to buy it so shopping for new. I am not stuck to any brand, just want the best working saw. I like the weight of a 550xp, people seem to like them. Are they still just mm saws or are there guys porting them now. How do they stack up to other modded 50's? There are some pretty mean ms261 builds on here, I like them as we'll but they feel a bit heavier. Have also looked at some 5105's, like the look and feel but have not seen much on modding them. Need to get some more input before I buy so let's hear it.

I have been reading much of the info on this site for several months and it has become very clear that the saw you just let go of is THE saw. I am pretty stuck on STIHL but that 346xp is the ONE Husqvarna that has really got my attention. I have herniated discs in my back and I also need LIGHT power.

Anyone compare a ported 346xp vs a 550xp with MM? I think it would be pretty close and would love to see that video.

The Husky 353 when modded runs fantastic and great torque. Less money than 346

I would think you would want to start with a saw that has a filled crank, stuffers they seem to call around here. Though sheet metal plates can be used to accomplish the same thing.

I will stay away from naming a particular saw but there is a good chance a few years out performance will be more from stock than now.

Fran

maybe this will help,, this is my masterminded 346xp after about 10-12 tanks through it,, this IS redoak that I am cutting

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41A6Ax1U1YI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To me and my liking the 261 from Randy is my favorite. The 346s all lacked torque compared to it.

I would think you would want to start with a saw that has a filled crank, stuffers they seem to call around here. Though sheet metal plates can be used to accomplish the same thing.

I will stay away from naming a particular saw but there is a good chance a few years out performance will be more from stock than now.

Fran

whuuh?:msp_unsure:

The 261 already has great torque for a 50cc, and I for one would like to see what M-Tronic does for it. Do you prefer your 372's inboard clutch?

Either the 346 or 261. In my experience, the 346 trumps the 550 once ported.

Does the 346 stand noticeably above the 550 or is it a stopwatch thing? Is the 346 about the same weight as a 550? Have not checked specs yet. Does the 261's torque advantage worth the extra weight? That was my biggest beef with my older 346, the need for a light touch.

Does the 346 stand noticeably above the 550 or is it a stopwatch thing? Is the 346 about the same weight as a 550? Have not checked specs yet. Does the 261's torque advantage worth the extra weight? That was my biggest beef with my older 346, the need for a light touch.

I would say more of a stopwatch thing, but the 346/2153 is also such a classic - one of the best designs ever with a known long-term reliability success record.

The 550XP is a hotrod right out of the box, so stock it's a clear winner.

The Stihl 261 is smooth, torquey, and has superior air filtration. Also, some non-Norwegian's prefer inboard clutches. I think the captive bar nuts are a great idea.

Three correct choices IMHO.

Tried a fresh out-of-the-box 550xp w/16" bar and .0325 pitch chain in 16" oak log at the dealer's. Plenty of chain speed and torque to pull that setup. Impressive. Never run a 346xp or MS261.

How much weight you talking about 6 oz how much does the kick stands weigh that's needed on the husky saws :msp_wink:

MS 261 with simple mod's has the same power as a 60 cc saw and if it gets ported has the power of 70 cc saws with the weight of a 50 cc saw; those are words from saw porters here on AS !

DSC_7471.jpg

changing out .325 for 3/8

Tried a fresh out-of-the-box 550xp w/16" bar and .0325 pitch chain in 16" oak log at the dealer's. Plenty of chain speed and torque to pull that setup. Impressive. Never run a 346xp or MS261.

Having a brand new 346 xl modded up in NE Tennessee. With the increase in torque and HP I wondered why most of the 50 cc saws stayed with the .325 pitch chain. I would never put .325 pitch chain on my modded 371 xp. I feel there are more aggressive full chisel options in 3/8. So going to swap the 346 to the 3/8 sprocket/chain and see how it cuts.

Latest posts

Back