Best 50cc when modded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mastermind 346 XP

Just got my 346 back from Randy. For starters, the wrap job on the box was beyond anything one could expect. Almost didn't want to cut it open. The saw arrived just minutes before a black line of storms rolled through NW Alabama. A true Frog strangler. So after putting things back where they belong, I put a 16" 3/8 B&C on and fired her up. No wood to play with, so I'll get pics tomorrow. I really like doing business with the 1911 totin Monkey.

Just got my 346 back from Randy. For starters, the wrap job on the box was beyond anything one could expect. I really like doing business with the 1911 totin Monkey.

I bet those dried banana peels really make for a good packing material.

Just got my 346 back from Randy. For starters, the wrap job on the box was beyond anything one could expect. Almost didn't want to cut it open. The saw arrived just minutes before a black line of storms rolled through NW Alabama. A true Frog strangler. So after putting things back where they belong, I put a 16" 3/8 B&C on and fired her up. No wood to play with, so I'll get pics tomorrow. I really like doing business with the 1911 totin Monkey.

1911. I don't leave home without it.

Later
Dan

And that would defeat the captive bar nuts. I suppose that's a small tradeoff if you really need/want dual spikes on a 550.

Captive bar nuts sound cool in theory but in practical terms they're really not that exciting. At least with the Husky ones they are easy to convert back to standard nuts unlike the Stihl versions.

Captive bar nuts sound cool in theory but in practical terms they're really not that exciting. At least with the Husky ones they are easy to convert back to standard nuts unlike the Stihl versions.

I have no need for captive bar nuts - I "carry" spares anyway, and have only needed a single one once!

They are a pain in the butt as far as I am concerned. I have never lost one of the non captive ones so what's the purpose? Unless it is so you can't see how far you cover is on and get the brake band jammed in the side of the clutch like I did on my 562 2 days ago. Being able to see the studs tell you if it is on straight, I guess that does not matter EH? CJ

I've now done over ten 550XPs. So far not one has had any issues at all. They do exactly what they were intended to do, once ported they do it faster. The 346XP is a fantastic saw, but it's gone, and the days of Autotune saws are here now. I don't see the 550XP as a saw to be shunned at all. The one in this video was on it's first tank, I bet once some fuel was put thru it it picked up quite a lot more. When you need a stopwatch to see which saw is faster, it's a moot point in a real world working saw.

[video=youtube;Z897fnSfxUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z897fnSfxUw[/video]

I'm not a slick operator that can run a touchy, high strung saw. I like a saw that is forgiving in the cut when I lean on it. That said, when I build a small displacement saw like the 550XP I'm looking to add torque to an already high revving engine, hoping to find some sort of balance between speed and torque. I think we've found a good recipe for this model......your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing a MS261C on my bench. I figure it will have both torque and chain speed. :msp_thumbup:

thats the video i was talking about, thanks mastermind!:rock:

50cc's???!! You guys are a bunch of power mad crazies! Only lumberjacks need anything bigger than about 40cc's.

Check out this video of my trusty huskvarna 435 xptork. It pulls a 28" just fine through oak.

[video=youtube;NuNBp5uei7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NuNBp5uei7o[/video]

:biggrin:

Just tested in 13" ash. Best 1 cut times

ported 50cc 346 7T 325 narrow kerf chain 17.00 I had to tune the saw to get this good.

stock 50cc 346 with stock muffler 7T 3/8 15.09

ported 50cc 346 same as above 7T 3/8 12.22 same chain run on stock 346. ;)

50cc's???!! You guys are a bunch of power mad crazies! Only lumberjacks need anything bigger than about 40cc's.

Check out this video of my trusty huskvarna 435 xptork. It pulls a 28" just fine through oak.

[video=youtube;NuNBp5uei7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NuNBp5uei7o[/video]

:biggrin:

That's the biggest/ maddest 435 I have ever seen.:hmm3grin2orange: And to think I have overlooked them.:dizzy:

Just tested in 13" ash. Best 1 cut times

ported 50cc 346 7T 325 narrow kerf chain 17.00 I had to tune the saw to get this good.

stock 50cc 346 with stock muffler 7T 3/8 15.09

ported 50cc 346 same as above 7T 3/8 12.22 same chain run on stock 346. ;)

So K? Who ported this 17 second beast?

So K? Who ported this 17 second beast?

Sure as hell not me. Same saw and porter on the 12.22 3/8 cut above. :msp_wink:

My 45cc Dozerdan 346 with 3/8 would have ate this 50cc saws above lunch. :msp_tongue: Let alone the 50cc Dozerdan one that was even faster and had more torque in the cut. :msp_thumbup:

Sure as hell not me. Same saw and porter on the 12.22 3/8 cut above. :msp_wink:

My 45cc Dozerdan 346 with 3/8 would have ate this 50cc saws above lunch. :msp_tongue: Let alone the 50cc Dozerdan one that was even faster and had more torque in the cut. :msp_thumbup:

And that's why we call him Dan "The Man" Henry. :msp_thumbup:

Randy my EHP redmax 49cc 5000 in the same log when it was 14" round and 1" bigger around was in the 10's with 3/8 square work chain that was to aggressive for saw and would have been good on a 90cc saw. :msp_tongue:

:hmm3grin2orange:

For me, they are basically just in the way for most use - but each to their own! :msp_smile:

That might explain why the weight issue is so important to you. Maybe you should try to use the saw in a manner that might mitigate some of the weight at times. :msp_wink:

A saw without proper spikes is a bad back waiting for an inopportune time to shut down the operator. Even for a firewooder.

Latest posts

Back