Best 50cc when modded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's more like .5lbs....I'm old and broke down. I need to save every ounce I can.

Well I'm still young and I've been running a 288 or 395 lately cutting small firewood. I limbed a beech the other day with the 288 and a 24". I don't like to bend over much to cut wood.

Well I'm still young and I've been running a 288 or 395 lately cutting small firewood. I limbed a beech the other day with the 288 and a 24". I don't like to bend over much to cut wood.

I honestly like my 261 ported. Unbelieveable torque for a 50cc saw. many people agree. Just saying:rock:

Wow, funny this thread popped back up since I just picked up a 550xp. Sent it off to Mastermind to have it woods ported, excited to get it back and try it. Went with the 550 over the 261 based on the feel of the saw. Liked both though, dont think you could go wrong with either one.

Wow, funny this thread popped back up since I just picked up a 550xp. Sent it off to Mastermind to have it woods ported, excited to get it back and try it. Went with the 550 over the 261 based on the feel of the saw. Liked both though, dont think you could go wrong with either one.
Never ran a 550 but Im sure your right.

Out of curiosity. I just took the very aggressive 3/8 square chain with lowered rakers that I ran on the DP muffler 440 046 both stock, poulan 445 475, husky 372. I put the 3/8 72dl chain 7T on my EHP redmax 5000 that was built for cutting pulp wood and higher rpm use up to 16.8k for cookie cutting. I have been running it a super fat 13.8k for years now even at gtg's. Not seeing much use in my stable with maybe 5 tanks or so and owner before me put 150 tanks through it in 3 weeks use.
Anyhow cutting the same ash log 14" wide, 13" deep I have been testing the above saws in. The ported redmax 5000 was right there with them in the mid to high 10's.

046 was in the 9's, rest 10's, 372 low 11 range if memory serves me right.

I honestly like my 261 ported. Unbelieveable torque for a 50cc saw. many people agree. Just saying:rock:

That is my only concern in going with the 550 over the 261, that I won't be happy with the torque. Hoping Randy can work his magic and give the 550 some grunt for a heavy handed cutter like myself.

That is my only concern in going with the 550 over the 261, that I won't be happy with the torque. Hoping Randy can work his magic and give the 550 some grunt for a heavy handed cutter like myself.

.325 chain and an 8 pin rim......

Nah, gotta run 3/8. Already got some loops made and a Sugi lightweight bar sitting on the bench.

I can relate.......I would rather run 3/8 on any saw I'm using a lot. But .325 is a bit easier to pull.

Jon square ground a few loops of .325 that we use to limb with.......holy ####. :msp_w00t:

I can relate.......I would rather run 3/8 on any saw I'm using a lot. But .325 is a bit easier to pull.

Jon square ground a few loops of .325 that we use to limb with.......holy ####. :msp_w00t:

Kind of hard to use a round chain for anything anymore ,isn't it :msp_biggrin:

One thing I need to do is find a decent set of spikes for the 550. Didn't someone on here make a set work off a 562 or something.

Last edited:
One thing I need to do is find a decent set of spikes for the 550. Didn't someone on here make a set work off a 362 or something.

I agree. The single spike on the 550 is absolutely useless and hands down the worst spike I have ever seen on a pro chainsaw. I now have no paint left on the front of the crankcase and a beat up muffler. This is a relatively low hour saw too. The filter is also crap compared to the Stihl HD2's like on the 241/261 etc.
It probably sounds like I hate this saw but I don't, Husky just needs to pull their finger out and play catch up in a few areas.

Latest posts

Back