Best 50cc when modded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My actual money is on 346XP and 2253

The 2253 just may end up being the first saw I have 2 of. We'll see, but I would like to have one in full race trim.

One thing I need to do is find a decent set of spikes for the 550. Didn't someone on here make a set work off a 562 or something.

The single 562 spike works fine on the 550 just elongate one mounting hole slightly.

p/n 577 93 52-01

Last edited:
MS261 with 20" bar and .325 chain.

[video=youtube_share;HxMPgN_2Mvs]http://youtu.be/HxMPgN_2Mvs[/video]

Brad I didn't think balsa was indigenous to your area? :givebeer: Or is that compressed peat?

Last edited:
One thing I need to do is find a decent set of spikes for the 550. Didn't someone on here make a set work off a 562 or something.

The single 562 spike works fine on the 550 just elongate one mounting hole slightly.

p/n 577 93 52-01
Here's the 562 spike on a 550:

2013-06-14_17-30-21_339_zps317bee46.jpg

Unfortunately the 550 clutch cover does not have the mounting holes for the 562 outer spike.

Why do you want dawgs at all on a saw that small?

I know it might be foreign to you Niko but saws this small can actually be used for falling. Spikes are a necessity for accurately lining up cuts but also from an arm fatigue and production point of view. People seem to assume that only big saws need spikes. If you are dropping a few trees a day to cut up for firewood I can assure you that you'd never notice an issue. Try dropping 700 trees a day and you'd know why spikes such as those on the 550XP are absolute garbage.
The spike on the 550XP is probably fine for perfectly round small trees but the second you get odd shaped trunks, bifurcated trunks etc etc you need spikes that will bite in at multiple angles. In my experience this is one area that Stihl does very well and the stock spikes on MS660's etc are some of the best in the business. The OEM Husky HD spikes for the 365-390XP are also very good. I converted a set of Husky HD spikes for my 7900 as the stock spikes on the Dolmars are also very average, particularly in our hardwoods.

No, but maybe something custom can be made.

photobucket-43256-1370036069129_zps5666d749.jpg

Looks good! Just ordered a set of 562 spikes, did you drill mounting holes in the clutch cover? My saw isn't here so can't look and compare.

Sawtroll, I honestly have not spent a lot of time running smaller saws but I like spikes to
A. Protect front of saw
B. Aid in felling the smaller trees I am cutting for firewood these days
C. Reduce fatigue while bucking or when cutting in odd positions
D. In this case since running an 18" bar will give appx 16" of usable bar
E. They look mean :rock:

Maybe after running the saw a bit I will change my opinion, who knows.

Looks good! Just ordered a set of 562 spikes, did you drill mounting holes in the clutch cover? My saw isn't here so can't look and compare.
Just to set the record straight... that's my 562 with the large outer spike. I only posted the picture so you could see what the spike looks like. The 550 doesn't have the mounting holes and I'm not sure there's even room to put in a couple. To fabricate something for the 550, it would need to attach to the bar bolts.

:hmm3grin2orange: I knew that post would stir things up, and get some reaction. None of the arguments are new to me - I just wanted to point out that you don't always need them.

For me, they are basically just in the way for most use - but each to their own! :msp_smile:

:hmm3grin2orange: I knew that post would stir things up, and get some reaction. None of the arguments are new to me - I just wanted to point out that you don't always need them.

For me, they are basically just in the way for most use - but each to their own! :msp_smile:

Longer bar ...........Longer bar ............ :cheers:

Same here, know all about your thoughts on them lol. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back