BEST 60cc saw ever built !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a dump find, given to me by a friend. First inspection shows it has a good top end, already fired it with a shot of fuel down the plug hole. It's missing a few things, like the fuel line, clutch cover, bar and chain ( I have a 24 inch bar for it ), 1 engine mount is bad, inner cover for the starter is missing as well. The coil wasn't firing at first but did with some work, so fixing that is next on the agenda. All in all, it has real possibilities! The top cover has 1 broken mount at the front of the cover, and it needs a new air cleaner. Almost forgot the operator presence lever is broke.20220901_103028.jpg20220901_103039.jpg

14" wood to me is 50cc saw territory.
And your fatigue comment depends greatly on what saws we are talking about.
18"-20" wood is still 50 cc saw territory if your running a a 346 xp or 5105 or 2153 . Also anything over 14-15 # gets old when you limbing . Felling or bucking is a different matter . Even for us Elder Saw Enthusiasts ! :laughing:

I agree with everyone that said the ms400. Technically not a 60cc saw, but based on one and handles like one...more like 70cc power.

Mine makes little financial sense, I put a wrap handle kit on it and put 461R oiler guts in it. I Finished it off with some port and machine work to the cylinder. Handles like a 362, but can easily run a 32" in softwoods. It mostly runs a 28" lightweight bar...that's some fatigue prevention, a lightweight saw with enough power to run a bar that doesn't make you ever bend over.

I have found most 60cc class saws just kind of "portly".My Makita 6421 is heavy for sure,but cuts great.I also owned a Stihl 361 back during the craze,and honestly found it to be over-hyped.First real saw I ever bought new was a Poulan 3800.My favorite 60 cc ever though was actually 57ccs ,a McCulloch Titan 57. I find myself using a 50cc more and more,and skip the 60 cc saws in bigger wood and go with a 70-74 cc saw.

I have found most 60cc class saws just kind of "portly".My Makita 6421 is heavy for sure,but cuts great.I also owned a Stihl 361 back during the craze,and honestly found it to be over-hyped.First real saw I ever bought new was a Poulan 3800.My favorite 60 cc ever though was actually 57ccs ,a McCulloch Titan 57. I find myself using a 50cc more and more,and skip the 60 cc saws in bigger wood and go with a 70-74 cc saw.
The 361 really needed a muffler mod to work right and it was a pain to gut and open up. Real turd until you do. The 360 was a turd too as was the 362. 400 is the best stihl under 70cc saw ever made IMO.
I've always thought the 60cc class was a bastard size. Not light and trim like tge 50cc saws and without the grunt of a 70cc saw. 400 kinda changes this, but to me it's still a tweener. For a one saw fire wood guy or for falling medium sized soft woods it works awesome.

My uncle who is 87 ended up with my 361.It is his go to saw when he does cut firewood.I bought it new around 2005 I think. I do like the looks of the 400 ,and the yt videos look really impressive. maybe someday I will get to use one.

Old thread, but it's interesting to see how opinions change as new saws come out.

The Echo 590 is a decently powered saw, if a bit heavy for its displacement. I have a 257 conversion with a 262 top end, and I find very little difference between the two saws, except for the Husqvarna being a pound lighter. So I would have to say that Spike 60's assessment that the 262 is overrated in power is correct.
I have a pioneer p40 that's definitely more powerful than both of those saws but it's in a different displacement class. It also has the advantage of reed valves which gives it power everywhere.

This weekend I'll be putting those saws up against a Homelite xl76 in excellent cosmetic shape that I found in the junkyard. So far that saw has surprised me with its power even though I know it could benefit from a new set of rings. All saws are wearing 3/8 full chisel chains, so it should be an interesting comparison.
The Stihl ms400 looks impressive, but it should be for its price. It's also a different class of saw displacement wise, so not really a fair comparison.
In the future I'm going to have to look for an ms361 and do a muffler mod, I like my 257-262 but it's hard to find parts for.

The 60cc class saws have their place, if you're not cutting anything over 2 feet in diameter they do just fine. Around here you rarely come across anything bigger than that. Would that be the only saw I own? Heck no. Once you've used a high revving 45 to 50 cc lightweight saw you realize they definitely have their place in the arsenal. But that's a subject for a different thread.

Old thread, but it's interesting to see how opinions change as new saws come out.

The Echo 590 is a decently powered saw, if a bit heavy for its displacement. I have a 257 conversion with a 262 top end, and I find very little difference between the two saws, except for the Husqvarna being a pound lighter. So I would have to say that Spike 60's assessment that the 262 is overrated in power is correct.
I have a pioneer p40 that's definitely more powerful than both of those saws but it's in a different displacement class. It also has the advantage of reed valves which gives it power everywhere.

This weekend I'll be putting those saws up against a Homelite xl76 in excellent cosmetic shape that I found in the junkyard. So far that saw has surprised me with its power even though I know it could benefit from a new set of rings. All saws are wearing 3/8 full chisel chains, so it should be an interesting comparison.
The Stihl ms400 looks impressive, but it should be for its price. It's also a different class of saw displacement wise, so not really a fair comparison.
In the future I'm going to have to look for an ms361 and do a muffler mod, I like my 257-262 but it's hard to find parts for.

The 60cc class saws have their place, if you're not cutting anything over 2 foot in diameter they do just fine. Around here you rarely come across anything bigger than that. Would that be the only saw I own? Heck no. Once you've used a high revving 45 to 50 cc lightweight saw you realize they definitely have their place in the arsenal. But that's a subject for a different thread.
I had an 036 that would run a 28 inch bar buried in a ponderosa of equal dia and keep right up with my MS 440 magnum in the same log. I sold it to a friend and regretted it since. I may get it back soon, so alls well!

Well I got to run the xl-76 today in some big oak, wow what a powerhouse. It would give a 262 a run for it's money, the reed valves give it power everywhere. It's happy revving or lugging, doesn't matter to it, a 24 inch bar would be no problem on the saw.
I can see why buckin had one ported, they are quite the competent saw if you don't mind the lack of AV and chain brake.

Well I got to run the xl-76 today in some big oak, wow what a powerhouse. It would give a 262 a run for it's money, the reed valves give it power everywhere. It's happy revving or lugging, doesn't matter to it, a 24 inch bar would be no problem on the saw.
I can see why buckin had one ported, they are quite the competent saw if you don't mind the lack of AV and chain brake.
I have a JonseredS 621 (56cc) and it does well. Some had 230lbs compression stock.
Holds its own for sure!!

I have a JonseredS 621 (56cc) and it does well. Some had 230lbs compression stock.
Holds its own for sure!!
Run my Pioneer 11-60 60 cc saw once or twice a yr for sentimental reasons . It certainly does bark & has a ton of torgue due to the reed valves . However , without an actual chain break use is limited lol.

Back