Best Aftermarket Piston Cylinder (Husqvarna 288xp) for the money? Any thoughts on HyWay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 110# compression on my 281xp. The cylinder and piston look pretty good. I could probably re-ring it and get back to good compression. Since I have it torn down though, I may as well make it a 288xp. My first glance was china aftermarket at $30. But... I don't trust China and I can tell most here don't either. So what would be the best bang for buck? I see HyWay shipping from Greece at around $100 for this kit. Does anyone know where it's made? Meteor also offers a kit at around $140.

I have 110# compression on my 281xp. The cylinder and piston look pretty good. I could probably re-ring it and get back to good compression. Since I have it torn down though, I may as well make it a 288xp. My first glance was china aftermarket at $30. But... I don't trust China and I can tell most here don't either. So what would be the best bang for buck? I see HyWay shipping from Greece at around $100 for this kit. Does anyone know where it's made? Meteor also offers a kit at around $140.
Meteor has a proven track record.

Hyway is made in china.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Check the ring locating pin first these seem to fail on older pistons first, things only last for so many hours. I’d rather go new.

Lube it with a moly paste during assembly. Burnish moly into the cylinder before assembly. Add oil through the intake and exhaust port when it’s assembled. Most of the wear occurs during startup.

I proved doing this on my sons dirtbike he raced. Inspection after race season the piston and cylinder looked new.

I wonder if Husqvarna has done a life test on how long pistons and rings last in there saw engines. Cutting firewood the saw sees more hours of use over logging board feet. Is there any knowledge in there owners manuals about maintenance and overhauling? Under heavy usage.

Hyway is made in china.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I just got a reply back from an ebay seller in Greece and he says they are made in Taiwan.

It may be worth spending another $40 for the Italy made Meteor kit at $140.

Meteor and Hiway are cast at the same factory in Taiwan. Meteor is then sent to Italy for plating and Hiway are plated in Taiwan
Wow. Meteor is cast with "Italy" on the side of the cylinder implying made in Italy. So only plated in Italy?

Back