Best all around saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lone wolf
I mentioned the Chain Brake, because I wasn't sure what the OP meant by:

"and not loaded up with all the new safety bs that they come with now"

A Chain Brake was the only thing that came to my mind, that would fit that statement, and to ME, a Chain Brake is "Safety BS" WELL Worth having, even more so if one expects to be working from a ladder, in all fairness, I don't know if a chain brake is the Safety BS, he was referring to or not, it was all that I could think of.

Honestly a Chainsaw is one of the most Dangerous tools that the average person is ever likely to use, and MIS-USE, and it is simply Amazing that the government HASN'T come up with more Rules, Regulations and Requirements, to protect the Stupid from themselves. The thing is, the most Dangerous thing about a Chainsaw is an Inexperienced, Uneducated, or Careless OPERATOR:(.

Doug :cheers:
They will come up with more rules but it will take an incident to one of their family before they care.l

Deleted member 149229
D

Deleted member 149229

They will come up with more rules but it will take an incident to one of their family before they care.l
I’m a retired machinist with 8 full fingers and 2 full thumbs. I try to keep the same safety outlook when I start a Saw, “This thing wants to hurt me.” What scares/amazes me is being around somebody using a saw that acts like it’s nothing more than a string trimmer. I can’t wait to leave so I don’t see anything.

lone wolf
I’m a retired machinist with 8 full fingers and 2 full thumbs. I try to keep the same safety outlook when I start a Saw, “This thing wants to hurt me.” What scares/amazes me is being around somebody using a saw that acts like it’s nothing more than a string trimmer. I can’t wait to leave so I don’t see anything.
I have seen my share of carnage. Electric lines being the most deadly.

lone wolf
View attachment 668270
I like the people that explain to you how to put a rope on the tree and pull it 120* from where the lean and weight are. I’ll never claim to be a feller but I will claim to resist being stupid.
Well if you had three ropes ,2 trucks on 2 ropes and an anchor rope to keep it from going back the wrong way then I would feel better.

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
This saw should fit the bill nicely! Non of that safety bs on this one, and you won't need no stinkin' ladder for limbing either! OOOOOhhh Baby!!!!

View attachment 668276

Well this does have a Chain Brake, so there is some of that Dreaded Safety BS, But it Does have some "Reach" to it ;)

[photo=medium]5402[/photo]

NSEric

NSEric

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
On a more serious note get a 50-60cc pro saw they will cut up big trees just fine. Your use sounds like what most guys do locally, no one has anything bigger than a 365 around here, unless your cutting for a living you don't need huge saws.
Im more familiar with husky's than stihl's so I'd recommend a husky, anything between a 346 and a 359, that's what the guys cutting fire wood are running locally. I know a couple guys still using 254's, 257's and 61's they're good too but are getting kinda old so good used ones are hard to find.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just did some comparisons and found out there's no difference between a husky 266 and 268 but the only thing see is the 268 has a air filter upgrade. There the same cc, weight, hp.

Being a retired elevator engineering lead tech, and a class A machine builder, lathes with 144" chucks I had my share of living with danger. I fit right in with cutting trees I've done it all but coal mining.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a Husqvarna 353 but consider it for limbing and small trees. I been wanting something in between my 353 and 266se I think my 162 se should fill the gap nicely.
But looking at the saw specs the husky 359 looks good too.

The saws weight never bothered me before. I can understand it now.

Dph1256

Dph1256

ArboristSite Operative
I mentioned the Chain Brake, because I wasn't sure what the OP meant by:

"and not loaded up with all the new safety bs that they come with now"

A Chain Brake was the only thing that came to my mind, that would fit that statement, and to ME, a Chain Brake is "Safety BS" WELL Worth having, even more so if one expects to be working from a ladder, in all fairness, I don't know if a chain brake is the Safety BS, he was referring to or not, it was all that I could think of.

Honestly a Chainsaw is one of the most Dangerous tools that the average person is ever likely to use, and MIS-USE, and it is simply Amazing that the government HASN'T come up with more Rules, Regulations and Requirements, to protect the Stupid from themselves. The thing is, the most Dangerous thing about a Chainsaw is an Inexperienced, Uneducated, or Careless OPERATOR:(.

The only other safety feature I can think of would be safety chain

Latest posts