Best attatchment for 4x4?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Wondering what is the best attachment to make 4x4 lumber. I got an old hayrack that needs some work, a few 4x4's are shot. Buddy has a Granberg 36" CSM, thinking about cutting 4" slabs and not sure how to go from there.

I got some cottonwood logs I saved. They going to bow easily or should I cut into some ash logs? Will be using MS660 with 32" bar, not sure if I will need a ripping chain, cottonwood is pretty soft. Did see some attachments on Northern tool that ride on a 2x6". I could probably weld something up too. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what a hayrack is, but cottonwood works pretty well as lumber in the vertical or something non load bearing. Wouldn't work so well as a load bearing beam, would sag.

Not sure on ash, don't have it up here so I've never used it. Use a Woodmizer so no idea on how to do it with a chainsaw. I just know it's really slow going!

Cannot comment on the wood, but for the mill. A combination of both the 36" GB mill, and the mini mill, or one that you fab up to do the job of the mini mill. either would work fine. make first cut with the 36" with a ladder or the like, and make your edge cut with the mini. from there you can go back to the 36" set at 4" and just make slabs rotating to finally achieve a 4x4.. may have given too much or to little info. either way don't hesitate to ask more. and more info will trickle in soon :) also check out you tube for some videos on chain saw milling

Happy milling!

I think I remember my dad using cottonwood 4 x 4s in a hayrack, or several. My memory is that cottonwood doesn't last that long, several, maybe 5 to 10 years that way out in the open. If it can be kept dry, i.e., stored under cover always when not in use, it could last longer. The floor joists in their house are cottonwood also and they are maybe going on 50 years old. Might even be from the same tree. It was a big one.

As for cutting them, my great uncle had a sawmill at the time. I have not gotten into cutting any 4 x 4s myself to give much advice. I have a 'beam maker' but not a lot of experience with it.

These are 6X6's. I used a cheap Haddon lumber maker. It bolts to the saw bar with 3 allen screws. You screw a 2X4 to the log and the Haddon fits over the 2X4 as a guide. You could use you Alaskan and mill several slabs, then screw your 2X4 to the top one and cut several 4X4's at a time. The Haddon cuts up and down so the log has to be off the ground so the tip doesn't hit the ground, Joe.

Google Haddon Lumber Maker or the Beam Machine, they both work the same way. When I bought my lumber maker back in the 70's it was $19.95. It's over $100 now. I think the Beam Machine might be heavier made and is a lot cheaper in price.

Hayrack....not mine but u get the picture
images

The beam machine is about $43, mini mill or Haddon is a$100-130.

Is there more stability on the 2x6 vs the 2x4 of the beam machine?

Thanks for the replies. If I can even get 10 years out of the Cottonwood, that is good for me. Usually just haul logs and brush with it. I picked it up for $150, so not into it for much and would like to keep it that way. It sits more than it gets used.

Hayrack....not mine but u get the picture
images

The beam machine is about $43, mini mill or Haddon is a$100-130.

Is there more stability on the 2x6 vs the 2x4 of the beam machine?

Thanks for the replies. If I can even get 10 years out of the Cottonwood, that is good for me. Usually just haul logs and brush with it. I picked it up for $150, so not into it for much and would like to keep it that way. It sits more than it gets used.

Ah. We call those hay wagons.

You are replacing the decking?

We do quite a few trailer decks in poplar, lasts better than spruce. Not as good as iak, but at $10+ a linear foot no one is that rich.

You could also cut your 4 inch slabs and then freehand cut to width with nothing more than a chalk line.

I agree. If you aren't concerned with perfection, freehanding to a chalk line will get it done cheap and quick. The beam machine will give you a decent guide, but they are tough to keep perfectly square.

The cottonwood I have worked with is very similar to black poplar. Doesn't do great in the weather, but will last a few years, longer if you seal the top and end-grain with some type of oil-based product. Ash is much, much better, in every regard.

I've made deminsional lumber berfore. I know I can't spell. Use the mill to cut 4" slab. Then grab a haddon lumber maker for like 75 bucks on ebay. I'll tell ya what they are awsome. Might not be furniture grade cuts. But there awsome for a 6x6 8x8 hell even a 13x13 lol. They kick ass when your ass don't wanna kick.

Ok, I think it is between the Hadden and the Granberg, what is better, using the rails to guide the granberg, or using a 2x6 on the Hadden?

I like the Haddon just because of the history behind it. And it's smart simple and effective. Rails will stay truer to form. The 2x6 does warp over time.

I have used every variation. They all work quite well. But I will say the granberg has a nice light weight and is better if you take the time to make a permanent guide board that won't warp on you. Another note is the the drag is less with the granberg. But you could alway grease up the haddon...

Back