Best bar for milling with ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipkolterman

Reaction score
I would like to try chainsaw milling with my stock MS261. All pine. Small trees 10 to 16 inches at the largest. I have the stock 20" sthil rollomatic E bar. I notice that some of the mills indicate that a laminate bar will not hold up so I was thinking of getting a new bar for the ripping chain. Anyone have a recommended bar? I notice that there are not a lot of 20" 3003 mount .063 gauge .325 pitch bars on the market.

I'd also be interested in any ripping chain recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

As said already too small will just ruin the poor little saw. I use my 038 mag if not too big a log but i also have a 066 for bigger logs. Its a very addictive hobby so might as well hite the bullet and get a bigger saw.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Sounds like the wrong tool for the job.

Try this. Think of the muscles and the gorgeous women that will swoon at your appearance and beg to feel the biceps and pectorals.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm just getting started, and my experience is limited to the first three logs I've milled, so take that for what it's worth... I also searched around this site to see if my saw was up to the task. And then I went ahead anyway.

For reference, I have a MS261-CM, the stock 20" bar and RM chain, and the Granberg Small Log Mill. Also tried the Archer ripping chain from Amazon. Cutting spruce, 14-16" diameter or so.
  • First log I cut was from a dead tree, and I cut from the top section that was mostly rotten. Great log for just figuring things out, but it cut way too easily and made a poor representation of typical. Too bad they all aren't that easy!
  • Second log was decent wood. Slowed down a lot - about 1 foot per minute. Bogs down easily, saw and chain both running very hot, but I made it through it going slowly and giving the saw a break several times during each cut and a long break after.
  • By time I finished the third log... I went home and ordered a MS660.
It was enough to get me excited about chainsaw milling, especially after finishing my first 2x4s and a couple of 6x6's.

If you gotta do it to convince yourself that it is worth spending more money on a setup more dedicated to milling... I know the 261 will do it at least three times. ;)

Good luck!

If you are going to use a small saw, watch some videos on free-hand milling. You can cut some good boards if you have a steady hand. I tried it with my 261 one time and cut out a pretty good 5x5 piece of red cedar.. If you were going to use it for something nice, it would take some smoothing out, but the saw and the method work well.

Latest posts

Back