Best bar for the pro user who cuts & bore cuts hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your pick?

Cannon? Sugihara? Stihl? Looking for the best option possible for a pro user

Stihl's have always treated me fine. Used both the narrow and wide tip, didn't really notice a difference.

Have a couple Total Super bars coming just to try some thing different.

Stihl's have always treated me fine. Used both the narrow and wide tip, didn't really notice a difference.

Have a couple Total Super bars coming just to try some thing different.

Reason I asked is a customer was asking for an alternative to Oregon bars. They were having Sprocket tip premature failures. (Premature can be a relative thing I understand). Also it's been unusually cold this winter here and Maple is really hard when subjected to sub zero temps for extended periods of time! I have ordered a couple of Sugihara's to evaluate with them. Both the solid sprocket nose and reduced weight sprocket nose versions. Might try a Stihl bar, just use one of those adapters from Bailey's. How different can the design of those sprocket noses be?

That is the same experience I had with Oregon bars. Plus the rails wore faster. So for me they weren't the best bang for the buck.

On the stihl's knock on wood I have not blown a tip in 10 plus years. I think because they are grease-less, they may have done a better job of design in the bearing area.

I run Stihl mounts on all my Husky's also. Easier to keep less spares on the truck. That said on the 372's I have found the need to lengthen/open the slot up a 1/2" towards the tip end so I can still run the same drive # chains as on the stihl's.

And yes frozen Hard maple is a pain.

But as always YMMV :)

Can someone give me info on the oregon pro bars ?? Any count ?? Any count means any good I need to start talking properly on here :)

meh, I don't like um. don't last long. stihl bars are very good, so far I like the sugi and total......I believe the total is the stiffest of the three. oregons are floppy.

The Oregon pro bars that aren't painted the ones you're talking about? I think the Canadians use them a lot more than in the US.

Latest posts

Back