Best bar length for a 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 660 would run just about any length bar. Some better than others. Myself, I would look at the project and say to myself, "What bar am I going to need to solve this?" Issues of balance and handling would not play into the equation. I have other saws that are balanced and handle well. When the "big iron" comes out, it is because there is a specific need. A saw that size is not comfortable and light to handle no matter what size bar it's wearing so in most cases it will be wearing a long one.

Agreed. It's a big heavy saw, no matter what bar. Which is perfect some times! Not the saw I would go to for small trimming, no matter what size bar I put on it.

Don't know what it is about the caps, but somehow I can manage to unscrew the oil cap on that saw while using it. Done it several times now.

it has a perfect neutral balance with a 28" ES light bar. I think they go perfect together. You can stretch it to the 32 light if you really need it but the 28 is really heaven to handle. It's like a standard 20" on an 044.

Shaun

mine balances pretty good with an oregon 32 light bar ,its also a good length when bucking firewood to pivot the saw handle off your hip without crouching over View attachment 230236

I just keep a 36" bar on my 660. I run a 28" or 25" on my 441R CM and I have a 056 MagII that can back up all of them. I have been wanting to put the 25" on the 660 with an 8 tooth and let the chips fly! Should be fun

Steve

mine balances pretty good with an oregon 32 light bar ,its also a good length when bucking firewood to pivot the saw handle off your hip without crouching over View attachment 230236

I have that same bar on one of my 660's and personally, I think it is a complete POS. I don't even take that particular saw out anymore due to that bar wagging off the power head like a limp d***.

I have that same bar on one of my 660's and personally, I think it is a complete POS. I don't even take that particular saw out anymore due to that bar wagging off the power head like a limp d***.

No beatin around the bush with this...

Try a 25"ES bar and semi chisel chain. It turns the 660 power head into a handy little weapon.

I'll give it a good home for you, if you don't want it anymore. ;)

it is flimsy compared to a stihl es bar ,mine are .063 guage that size is a little stiffer than the .050 and the wider guage brings more oil to the end of the bar ,everythings a compromise ,for firewood and ocasional falling it works ok for what i do

Latest posts

Back