Best Bar length for the 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite bar length for this saw? Will be cutting Douglas fir mostly. This saw will be paired up with a ported 562xp with a 24" bar.

The 550xp will be running Stihl 26RS (Yellow .325 .063 Rapid) No safety ($305 for a $100 feet of this stuff)

Was seriously considering the T540XP, but too many say that top handle saws need to stay in the tree and ground work is an accident waiting to happen. Europe bans top handle saw to the general public. This must mean that they can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Rear handle saws are dangerous as well. You are less likely to do one handed cuts with a rear handle saw.

I don't plan on climbing trees.

mine wears an 18" as it is used primarily for limbing. I tried 16" and my back did not like it.

I run an 18" on my ported 550 and a 16 on my 026 and kinda like the 16 on a 50cc saw better, but really not much of a difference.

I have a 550XP and use a 16" X 3/8" X 60 DL X .050" Stihl RS.

I use this on all my 50cc saws

Keep a 16" as your main bar, and keep a longer one as well, if you occationally need it. There is no good reason to stay with only one bar length.

Run an 18" with 3/8 chain full time on my 550. Limbing, bucking, felling. The 550 is a remarkable saw!

Back