Best bar size: 20" or 60"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Woody

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This one is for all you guys that are tired of the "Should I use an 18" bar or a 20" bar on my yada yada yada"

Since I blew a hydraulic seal on my Ford tractor yesterday I decided to do a little Spring cleaning today. I mounted my 60" superbar on the 3120 to cut up one of the big oak logs down at the sink hole (compliments of the previous owner of my place and an ice storm).

Chain was a 3/8 full skip .063 square ground chisel. This was the first use for the bar and chain (ebay special over a year ago, chain is new) and boy was I impressed. The chips flying out the bottom of the saw at WOT was impressive.

The log measured 48" at the widest point for each of the 2 slices I made. I had to bring the little saw (Makita 9000, 36" bar) to finish it off in order to keep the big one out of the dirt. The final cut will take the whole bar since the trunk Y's over its remaining 3 feet.

Last edited:
Had the 36" on the 066 yesterday. Carrying a 36" sucks. I like carrying the 24" much better. However, it's fun to see how many chips pile up on your boots with a 36 in a big log. A 60" superbar....drive it to the log in a truck.

Mark

Big Woody said:
This one is for all you guys that are tired of the "Should I use an 18" bar or a 20" bar on my yada yada yada"

Since I blew a hydraulic seal on my Ford tractor yesterday I decided to do a little Spring cleaning today. I mounted my 60" superbar on the 3120 to cut up one of the big oak logs down at the sink hole (compliments of the previous owner of my place and an ice storm).

Chain was a 3/8 full skip .063 square ground chisel. This was the first use for the bar and chain (ebay special over a year ago, chain is new) and boy was I impressed. The chips flying out the bottom of the saw at WOT was impressive.

The log measured 48" at the widest point for each of the 2 slices I made. I had to bring the little saw (Makita 9000, 36" bar) to finish it off in order to keep the big one out of the dirt. The final cut will take the whole bar since the trunk Y's over its remaining 3 feet.

Wow, thats alotta tree and alotta saw there. Impressive machinery there and that old tree looks to be in some serious trouble.............

I have 60" bars for most brands but I have never needed one in my area. When I head up to Baraboo this year maybe I will pack a few of the 60" bars and run my 1 man saws in the 2 man class. I will say they are quite tip heavy

Bill

Big Woody said:

Dayem!! That's one hung saw. I think I've got bar envy. :dizzy: :chainsaw: :)

Back