Best burn temps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the stove top thermometers lately and it saeems there is no consensus on what temp is best for burning. A couple made by the same outfit have the "best burn" area as 2 different ranges. Kinda makes it hard to pick one to use when they are different. So, for you experienced burners, what temp is best or what range of temps works best?

Thanks,
Rob

My thermometer is just stuck to the Metal door on my stove. The best burn is between 300* & 500*, Any more than 500* and the stove starts to smell like it is overheating. Less than 300* and the Fan won't come on!

The question is who to believe?

The manufacturer of our fireplace states in manual A temperature of 500º C (932º F) and up, with a visible flame, in the upper part of the firebox indicates a maximum efficiency. What is AND UP mean? My thermometer is Dark orange at 900 degrees. Also the firebox is behind a facade so I can not put a gauge on the firebox. The nearest location would have air gaps between firebox how much does this effect the reading.
The only way to get a reading off the stainless steel chimney vent and the only area that is single layer vent is at top of firebox 1.5' behind facade, I need a laser probe.
A chimney sweeper told me optimum temps are 400-800 degrees. This is far different from manufacturer. At 900+degrees the stainless tubes Secondary air tubes are glowing red. How long would these last while glowing red all the time?

When we're home it's 3 splits or less burning WOT. I have to say our stove is not adequate for our sf-age but this is the workaround for me.

Certain people just had to have this stove right away and just couldn't wait for a larger model. So #### it I bought it.

It's mostly always in the red zone...I could care less if it burns out the stove.

So far the stove has held up very well and the flue pipe/chimney stays very clean. It's a QF4300st.

i bought the 11 dollar RUTLAND stove thermometer. i keep it about 18-20 inches from the top of the stove. I run the burner so that the thermometer stays 300+. I read somewhere that anything below 260 is Creosote territory. The only time i let it run below 260 is when the logs have quit burning, and i have a FULL bed of coals. Also, my flue doesnt have a damper, and my stove doesnt have a Catalytic Converter. Provided the weather isnt very damp, My Chimney stays rather nice. When its rainy, i then have to run a little hotter to try and compensate for the moisture buildup. i Also Tear my Chimney apart every 2 weeks to check it out just to be safe. If it needs the brush, or rake, ran through it, i do so.

AS you can see from photo the thermometer is on face but probe is measuring temps in air space about 4 inches above the firebox. The firebox has a layer of steel above the firebox also. The probe is also about a foot from the chimney vent. So like I said we do not have a real accurate way of measuring the temps.
The orange gauge is currently reading about 600 degrees. Last year we ran fires about 500-800 and used fireplace for heat source 24 hours /day. At end of season we had about just about a quart of fine ashy material fall from inside of 16 ft. chimney when it was cleaned.

The dark smoky debris on the door glass was due to faulty install by installer they did not check for proper air seal.
attachment.php

What temp range you should run you stove at is determined by your stove manufacturers specs. The manufacturer of a cast iron stove recommends a completely different temp range than the manufacturer of a steel or soap stone stove. Check your stove manual for your manufacturers temp range recommendation.

Shari

Last edited:
Thermometer-safe to put on top of stove?

On the two stoves I have had 400-500 degrees F is the optimal running temp for getting the house toasty. I have one of those metal dial thermometers like on the pic up above. I have always thought these belong on the flue pipe, but with it being double walled it is not an accurate reading as far as the pipe temp. Is it just supposed to read the heat off the stove as it rises up? Last night was the first burn of the season and the stove started having that burning hot metal smell. I moved the thermometer to the stove top and sure enough it jumped from 200 degrees to 500 real quick. Is it safe to keep it on the stove top or should I move it some place else like on the side for instance? Quadra-Fire pedestal with a glass door. Thanks.

I also Have the same thermo pictured above, It is made to go on the pipe but I can't get to my pipe, so I stuck it to door on the stove. I have checked it with a Infra red temp gun, and what the $11.00 thermo says is almost exactly what the temp gun said.

On the two stoves I have had 400-500 degrees F is the optimal running temp for getting the house toasty. I have one of those metal dial thermometers like on the pic up above. I have always thought these belong on the flue pipe, but with it being double walled it is not an accurate reading as far as the pipe temp. Is it just supposed to read the heat off the stove as it rises up? Last night was the first burn of the season and the stove started having that burning hot metal smell. I moved the thermometer to the stove top and sure enough it jumped from 200 degrees to 500 real quick. Is it safe to keep it on the stove top or should I move it some place else like on the side for instance? Quadra-Fire pedestal with a glass door. Thanks.

Normally you have the temp gauge on the top of the stove somewhere. Could be the top of the side, front or just literally on the top.

Back