Best chain for Stihl 260 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.

Hopefully they're relatively close in price? I'm hoping they'll give me the RS rather than the RM2 that comes with it. I need a case and chaps as well - hopefully I can find a good deal on Ebay...

I have a brand new loop of stihl 26rs-74 18 inch .325 for my 290. I haven't used it yet because I am getting a new sprocket. The cutters are huge. Saws under 59cc?? with green badge on brake are required to come with saftey bar and chain. I have 2 loops of oregon I use now. I once heard that stihl was harder to sharpen than oregon but kept an edge a little longer. I have an 18inch which is a little annoying to sharpen when you don't use it all. But it is a nice size to have. A 16 inch bar should not use less oil than a longer one it will just be oiled better. The oil pump does not know how long your bar is, it just pumps steady. The adj oiler might be good if you are running small bars and think you have too much oil. My 290 is on max and is a little dry with 18 inch.

The rm2 can be for all intents and purposes converted to RM by grinding off the saftey link using a bench grinder. Just be careful to not get the piece too hot so as to distemper the chassis.

It's much quicker and safer to make the conversion in the manner I linked-to earlier in this thread...

I've got a couple that came stock on a couple of saws.  The chains have been converted and cut much better, but are nonetheless relegated to nasty work.

Glen

RSC and RMC chain

Try to get RSC chain instead of ordinary RS. The "C" stands for comfort, and the low-wib feature really makes a difference. :) I am not certain that they are available in .325, though.
Oregon has used the same principle for many years, and I wonder if they had a patent that now has expired ?

Anyway I think you should give the 95VP a chance, as Tony Marks suggested.
If you use the search function, you will find a lot of info on it. It is a very fast and smooth chain, and a lot of people are very happy with it! :angel:

RM <i>is</i> (supposed to be) yellow-linked.&nbsp; The other question I can't answer, but doubt they do.

Glen

Picco Micro

TreeCo said:
I've only seen the yellow link on RS chain. Do they make a RS chain in 3/8 mini? or is there a RM that has a yellow link?

Dan

No, as far as I know they do not offer RS in 3/8 mini (lo pro). However they make the Picco Micro with or without bumper links. The one without may be "yellow".

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Try to get RSC chain instead of ordinary RS. The "C" stands for comfort, and the low-wib feature really makes a difference. :) I am not certain that they are available in .325, though.
Oregon has used the same principle for many years, and I wonder if they had a patent that now has expired ?
:

Never heard of that. Is it new?

Latest posts

Back