"Best" Chain Grinder for the money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have looked at quite a few of the older posts about the various electric chain grinders (Maxx, Oregon, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and others), and of course there are various opinions on which one is the "best". My basic question is which one is the best for the money spent today? If one wants to spend $500 or less, which one should I buy? If I could spend $1000 (plus or minus), then which one should I buy? My main criteria for using the grinder is that it is somewhat easy to use (once I get used to it) and it puts a good, sharp cutting edge on each tooth without a lot of re-adjustments having to be made while working on the chain.

Plus, I see there are a dealers weighing in on these older posts and they mention their price as of 2005, 2006, etc. etc. My question to these dealers is: What is the price of your grinders if I wanted to buy one today?

Thanks for the information.

Is this for personal use or commercial? For me the HF works fine since I hand sharpen 75% of the time. For a business I would say the $500 or < would be more than adequate.

RD

I am a home owner. 10-15 chords a year and I love the Northern Tool chain grinder. It is easy to use and keeps my chains very sharp. :cheers:

If you want reliable tools without a lot of fussing, avoid the knock-offs.

Best under $500 - spend the rest toward an ABN/CBN wheel. (This is almost identical to an Oregon 511AX).

attachment.php

If you want to spend more:
attachment.php

All on the Baileys site.

Philbert

As Philbert has mentioned go the Speed Sharps or Oregon grinders. After the issues I had with my MAXX leave them alone, too many inconsistencies for the price. ABN/CBN wheels worth the money for sure - no noticable airborne fine dust either.

I agree with Philbert and MCW, spend a little more if useage is going to be anything more than for a couple personal saws. I have the Northern Tool version and while it does a pretty decent job.....I have a firewood processor and sharpen quite a few chains and the more precise tool would be nice.

I also have a Northern Grinder. There are some mods. you can do to it to make it more consistent, but i only use mine when i rock a chain. I prefer to hand file, so mine doesn't see a whole lot of use.

As Philbert has mentioned go the Speed Sharps or Oregon grinders. After the issues I had with my MAXX leave them alone, too many inconsistencies for the price. ABN/CBN wheels worth the money for sure - no noticable airborne fine dust either.

One question I have when I think about the fancy (read expensive) wheels like the cbn ones is this:

When I mount a new stone on my 510 or prosharp or any other grinder I own, I need to true up the edge because it never runs perfectly true to begin with.

What does that mean with a wheel that cannot be trued like these high tech wheels?

i have the cheapest prices on the oregon 511AX besides free freight cannot beat that in the united states

besides when people order them they may get a surprise in the package also

Last edited:
"Best" Chain Griner for the money (part 2)

Thanks to those of you who have responded. To answer the questions posed so far: This grinder will be for personal/farm use to sharpen the chains of a MS260 and MS361. I currently have a Oregon brand bar mounted sharpener that holds the file. Even though I have figured out a good way to hold the bar/sharpener in the the vise, the sharpener has a tendency to move up/down on the bar while making the strokes with a file, which as all of you know leads to inconsistencies between teeth and as a result poorer cutting performance. So, I need to upgrade to something less frustrating that gives consistency between each tooth during the sharpening process. The last few years I have been cutting about 20 face cords of firewood per year not to mention all the tree and fence line clearing and burning of brush that is never ending. So, the saws/chains get a lot of use during the fall, winter, and spring (almost every weekend). I will add that I like to buy quality, which had better mean the product will last a long time. I am not a big fan of any type of China knockoff.

I'm a home owner, 8-10 cords a year. I have both the northern and the Harbor frieght.. the northern is much better. gave the H.F. to a friend who does a lot less (to much plastic), I bench mounted mine & cut a 1x3 to bolt to it also and have 2 c-clamps to make it portable. very satisfied w/it...

i have the cheapest prices on the oregon 511AX besides free freight cannot beat that in the united states

I hope that it is a PLEASANT surprise!?!

You do have a good price on this. Is that a photo of a 511A or 511AX on your site? The Speed Sharp model shows a different chain vice.

Thanks.

Philbert

I currently have a Oregon brand bar mounted sharpener that holds the file.

I think that that is a good training tool to get the idea of the right angles down and to build confidence. Maybe also to true up the angles every few filings if you hand file. Granberg also makes a versison of this: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15200&catID=

I started with one and soon felt comfortable enough to hand file with the simple hand guides (below), but I use a grinder (Oregon 511A) for heavy sharpening and damaged chains. Sold my bar-mount filing guide on CL.

attachment.php

Philbert

Last edited:
+1. It's basically identical to the Oregon 511.

People on A.S. say this a lot, and it is surprising based on the general contempt that knock off saws get on this site. I have looked closely at them and the castings are clearly similar in appearance.

But side by side, there a big difference in the physical size and appearance of the motor - a critical element. I have to believe that there is also a difference in the electrical components you can't see, and the longevity of the units.

If someone has more testing ability than me, and access to both grinders, it would be interesting to compare things like amperage draw, torque, etc.

The knock offs might still be a good choice for some users where price is the critical factor. I just hate cheap tools and get frustrated trying to make them work right.

JMHO

Philbert

Last edited:
The knock offs might still be a good choice for some users where price is the critical factor. I just hate cheap tools and get frustrated trying to make them work right.

JMHO

Philbert

You are right on. I also hate cheap knock off tools. Have also read reports that the grinder wheels on these chinese grinders are cr*p. If price is a major factor, used Oregon sharpeners can be had on Ebay for about 1/2 of new, but are not abundant.

One question I have when I think about the fancy (read expensive) wheels like the cbn ones is this:

When I mount a new stone on my 510 or prosharp or any other grinder I own, I need to true up the edge because it never runs perfectly true to begin with.

What does that mean with a wheel that cannot be trued like these high tech wheels?

I just had my first Speed Sharp replaced under warranty as the motor output shaft was slightly bent. This only became noticable with the heavier Dinasaw wheels. In saying that though, the new grinder is as smooth as silk with the Dinasaw wheels and balance not a problem. It runs very true and is grinding evenly on the whole wheel.
If you need to true it though then I think you're in a bit of trouble :)

best chain grinder for the money

What type of pricing and do you ship to canada?
Thanks

Back