Best Chain ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi i have been cutting for awhile and have always used Stihl chain, What have you found to be the best for holding an edge ect... Also i bought a GB GN40 High Tech Titanium and although it is for a stihl it has a hole for the sprocket tip and the stihl bars dont. will i have to grease the new bar or not ?

yes and no, it might last a bit longer when greased, but on other side, if you grease it will be sticky and all crap will stick to it... so, your call...

computeruser said:
It's your call. Some folks do, some don't. The topic has come up before and there doesn't seem to be any firm consensus on whether it is a MUST, a SHOULD, or a WHO CARES.
Right, I have stopped caring about it!

chainsaw1 said:
Hi i have been cutting for awhile and have always used Stihl chain, What have you found to be the best for holding an edge ect... ...
No reason to change if you are already using Stihl chain - they have thicker chrome than the others, and seem to hold the edge a bit better....:blob2: :blob2:

Grease the tips ? Only if you do a lot of plunge cutting.
Other then that. Naw bar lube gets there.
I like the Stihl chains. Cost a lot more then others.
Would like to try out Carlton chains

Over the past 31 yr., I've used Oregon and Stihl chain. I am all Stihl now, as it is almost in a different class than Oregon, or that's how it seems to me. Holds it's edge much longer, in my cutting. I have used both square and round ground chisel...same deal with both, Stihl is best.

Except for skip chain and milling chain which my dealer doesn't carry, I'm staying w/ Stihl chain...but I just buy by the loop and only a few loops a year.

It's nice when you buy so little that money is not a consideration... :rockn:

Chaser

manual said:
Grease the tips ? Only if you do a lot of plunge cutting.
Other then that. Naw bar lube gets there.
I like the Stihl chains. Cost a lot more then others.
Would like to try out Carlton chains

Stihl is still the best IMHO, but I have no problem running the GB/Carlton chains!!! Halfish the price and run about 3/4's or so as long between sharpenings. Get a couple loops manual, I think it will suprised, if not impress you.
Andy

Based on the chains and reels I have bought, the stihl square comes new with a considerably sharper edge than the Oregon. Since I can get stihl reels for barely more than oregon the decision has been easy.

The old man who ran a sharpening service I use to go to only stock carlton chains and I felt they were a step up from the oregon chains I had purchased at the box stores..Not mention he was bout the same price if not cheaper.

I work with lots of machinery and so use to greasing every bearing I come acrosss so yes I grease my bar tip everytime I flip it over.

Mike

aw come on people, is greasing the tip of your chainbar REALLY so difficult? some of ya make it sound like a major chore or hassle....cripes...

its literally takes 5 seconds!!!!! 5 whole seconds out of your life. I grease mine when i refuel, does'nt slow me down , is'nt a pain in the ass, is'nt a hassle....5 seconds done!.

:monkey:

:hmm3grin2orange: hahahaha, whaaaaat are ye walking all your gear into the woods? ROTFLMAO!!! come on....lil grease gun sitting in the truck, does'nt take up any room...lol lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yup... I'm a funny guy.:ices_rofl: :popcorn: :rock:

I just view it as something that really doesn't need to be done.

Plus my grease gun weighs about 8 pounds HAHA!:hmm3grin2orange: j/k

Gary

I have been using Bailey's Woodsman Pro chains ( manufactured by Carlton). They hold up for me a lot better than Oregon chains. I rather spend more time cutting than sharpening. The price is better also.

I keep my mini grease gun next to my bar oil and fuel mix. Takes but a few seconds to give my ailing Oregon bar a friendly squirt.

I like stihl chain the best. Rm works the best in most of my conditions. I would take Sandvik second when I can find it .I am not sure if Sandvik is availuble under another name now or what since they sold out. I haven't made up my mind on Carlton.Seems to hold an edge alright but I think it might be a bit brittle from my experiance. Carlton safety chain doesnt work for boring. Stihl RM2 isn't the ticket for good boring but seems to get it done for me ok if needed. Oregon non safety chain seems ok if the price is right,not worth the price of Stihl. I used a fair amount of Windsor in the past which was softer metal but didn't see to bad and was easy to sharpen. I look for value deals when I buy. If I were a high volume tree service I would stick mostly with Stihl RM on the ground and RS in the air.
I run without greasing bars most of the time. Occaisonally I grease a bar when servicing it. I had a Husky 55 that the chains seem to last as long or longer then bar tips .I tried greasing and not greasing and noticed no differance. Why spend the extra money and carry that stuff around if there isn't enough of an advantage. My Toyota SR5 doesn't have a lot of extra space when hauling 1/3 cord of wood a few chainsaws and gear.

Latest posts

Back