Best Chainsaw in the $300 catagory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biglurr54

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased my first house last month. One of the big selling points was the fact that it has a Woodmaster OWB and 30 acres of forest just asking to be cleaned up and select cut. I purchased a used Homelite SuperXL for $40.00. It is showing its age but it cuts like a bear when it's running. The problem is it keeps flooding and leaning out and having issue with the tensioner. I am dropping it off at a local repair shop that specializes in the older Homelites. I love how this saw will chomp through anything. 62cc's of loud endless power. Unfortunately the saw is not working more than it is working so i would like to get a new saw as a primary and have the Super Xl all greased up and ready to go as a back up or for big stuff. My question is what should i get. I need to clean about 10 cord a season. My budget is about $300.00 and I will be clearing mainly hard woods about 6-8 inches in diameter with the occasional larger tree. I want something reliable and well built that i will be able to have serviced and order parts for. My father has an older Stihl and can't get ignition for it. All the repair shops say they won't work on the saw. I don't want a disposable saw. Let me know what would be best for my uses and cheapest!

You got a great deal on the Homelite. Get her fixed right and you won't need to buy another saw. If you do purchase a new one, I'd consider getting a Stihl MS290 w/20" bar. They're running around $350 new with 2 year warranty.

I would say the 290 as well but not the 20" bar with out modding the muffler and changing to a 7 tooth sprocket to pull it. A 18" bar until the warranty is up then mod the muffler and go 20" if you want. great saw all around though

MS250 = $299
Was my 1st brand new saw.
Ran it for 3 yrs. Never an issue. Always started hot or cold.
I fell, limbed and bucked 6"-16" Box Elder with it mostly.
Cant really expect more out of a 45cc clam shell....for the price IMO

Ran a 16" RMC B&C

I would say the 290 as well but not the 20" bar with out modding the muffler and changing to a 7 tooth sprocket to pull it. A 18" bar until the warranty is up then mod the muffler and go 20" if you want. great saw all around though

Mine came with a 16" bar, and it works pretty well for everything around here. There have been a few times that a 20" would have been nice, but most of the time it would get in the way.

I have an old TimberBear Mac (610) with a 20" bar for the bigger stuff. It's a cinder block with a chain, but the price was right... FREE :hmm3grin2orange: The guy was trying to sell it for $50, but couldn't figure out why no one wanted to buy a non-running saw. He ended up sticking it outside with a free sign.

Okay, back on topic here. You can find MS290's on CL all day for around $200-250. Most haven't been used that much.

Did you guys miss the 6"-8" part? Why carry a bigger and heavier saw for that small of wood? A nice high revving 50cc saw would cut his work in half, compared to his old Homey. Nmurph rebuilds 346s and sells them. IMHO, there's not a better option for this size wood. They're within his price range too.

Last edited:
Did you guys miss the 6"-8" part? Why carry setting a bigger and heavier saw for that small of wood? A nice high revving 50cc saw would cut his work in half, compared to his old Homey. Nmurph rebuilds 346s and sells them. IMHO, there's not a better option for this size wood. They're within his price range too.

Agree with Brad- why buy a over weight homeowner model when you can buy a fresh rebuilt pro model for the same money. nmurph has had several 346 in the classifieds. I just talked my buddy into buying one from him over the weekend. For what he wants to cut there is nothing beter than the rebuilt 346 for the money.

For what your requests require I will have to make a nomination for the Husqvarna 445. This is new and when I purchased mine, I did make small carburetor adjustments.Was to lean however, this is a great saw for the monies being spent. Great anti vibration, and goes a long way on a tank of mix.well balanced(to me) with a 16BC.One pull when warm starting.I know that I enjoy using it, Ken

Did you guys miss the 6"-8" part? Why carry a bigger and heavier saw for that small of wood? A nice high revving 50cc saw would cut his work in half, compared to his old Homey. Nmurph rebuilds 346s and sells them. IMHO, there's not a better option for this size wood. They're within his price range too.

Agree with Brad- why buy a over weight homeowner model when you can buy a fresh rebuilt pro model for the same money. nmurph has had several 346 in the classifieds. I just talked my buddy into buying one from him over the weekend. For what he wants to cut there is nothing beter than the rebuilt 346 for the money.

Same here. When I seen the OP, I was thinking used 50cc pro model would be perfect.

1.) nmurph for a rebuilt husky
2.) used Dolmar/Makita 6401 you can find them at home depot off rental or on craiglist... they might break the bank though...
3.) used Stihl MS260/026 pro. They have great power to weight ratio. (the 029's are too heavy for the power they have) $200ish
4.) used Stihl 009-012 ($100)

I have about the same setup you do... I'm on 10acres with another 80 down the road I selectively cut. You'll want something in a medium to big size for felling and bucking and then a smaller saw to limb up the trees while they are down. Running a 15-20lb felling and bucking saw will wear on you after a while. I'm sure others will jibe me for the 009-012 suggestion but they are great reliable limbers and you can usually get into one super cheap. the 026/260 is a great pro saw and the 026's can be found pretty easily for under $300. when I was looking everyone suggested the 6401... 64cc's of fun and they are about the same weight as the 56cc 029 and don't need a muffler mod to begin with.

1.) nmurph for a rebuilt husky
2.) used Dolmar/Makita 6401 you can find them at home depot off rental or on craiglist... they might break the bank though...
3.) used Stihl MS260/026 pro. They have great power to weight ratio. (the 029's are too heavy for the power they have) $200ish
4.) used Stihl 009-012 ($100)

I have about the same setup you do... I'm on 10acres with another 80 down the road I selectively cut. You'll want something in a medium to big size for felling and bucking and then a smaller saw to limb up the trees while they are down. Running a 15-20lb felling and bucking saw will wear on you after a while. I'm sure others will jibe me for the 009-012 suggestion but they are great reliable limbers and you can usually get into one super cheap. the 026/260 is a great pro saw and the 026's can be found pretty easily for under $300. when I was looking everyone suggested the 6401... 64cc's of fun and they are about the same weight as the 56cc 029 and don't need a muffler mod to begin with.

Makita 6401 is a good suggestion- its a pro grade saw pretty hot out of the box for it size. I got mine at from Home Depot Rental for $225.00 And you have options down the road with that model if you want to get more out of it- 79cc oem pc. If your only gonna have one saw- I would rather have too much than not enough (within reason) not suggesting a 2101xp here.

You guys should be receiving your comission checks this week!!!

OP, I don't have one ready, but that can be fixed in a day or so. PM and we can talk it over.

You guys should be receiving your comission checks this week!!!

OP, I don't have one ready, but that can be fixed in a day or so. PM and we can talk it over.

just giving credit where credit is due- to the seller and the saw model. I have a high regard for both:rock:

Another vote for the used pro saw. If you get an older husky or stihl 50-70cc saw in decent condition it'll both outcut and outlast any new $300 saw.

Some good advise so far, but this is AS and no one has bit on....

... My father has an older Stihl and can't get ignition for it. All the repair shops say they won't work on the saw. ...

Again this is AS. Post up the model, and maybe somone on here has the parts, and better yet someone on here may get that saw running for you, and save you some money.

If not and since you already have at least 1 Stihl b&c from your fathers saw, I would stay in the Stihl line, find something that can run the same bar & chain as your father's saw and you get 1 power head w/ extra goodies :biggrin:

Nothing wrong with Huskies or Dolmars, but if you can have a second b&c it can make life easier. You will eventually picnch one (we all have), and if the spare b&c is handy you just unbolt the stuck one, through on the spare, and cut the other out. This also makes having the saw shop sharpen your chain easier drop a chain off and still be able to cut.

Any Stihl 26/260 - 29/290 would be good, I'd try for a used 26/260 if your father's saw uses the same b&c. Most are the 3003 mount, smaller saws 3005, then Just need to know the pitch, & gauge.

dw

Makita 6401 is a good suggestion- its a pro grade saw pretty hot out of the box for it size. I got mine at from Home Depot Rental for $225.00 And you have options down the road with that model if you want to get more out of it- 79cc oem pc. If your only gonna have one saw- I would rather have too much than not enough (within reason) not suggesting a 2101xp here.

Thanks... I had to throw the 6401 in there. It's cheap off rental and they still have plenty of life. I got mine from a guy who didn't know what he had (spent less than $100), and it had maybe 3-4 tanks of gas through it... :msp_biggrin:

The 6401 is kinda a back pain if your cutting a ton over one long weekend... Especially for those of us who will recognise they're not in the best of shape (me). I am 260lbs and 6ft3 and even I have problems dealing with a 16-20lb saw all day long. I'm don't do this for a profession just to heat the house and shop. I cut about 5-10 cords a year in about 3 weekends time. Anyhow, I still recommend a good small saw for limbing...

to the OP... Get a good saw you'll use for felling and bucking, one small saw to trim the tree up, and one back up (ie: your XL).

Latest posts

Back