best chainsaw inthe world (to me atleast)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyrebel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hows is everyone doin on this fine day with crappy weather:msp_thumbdn:

well to get to the point i am kinda in a pickle now with which saw to buy. i have done a generous amount of research on nearly all saws in this 60cc to 70cc class'. i have narrowed my hunt down to the jonsered 2165 and the 2172

both of which are great saws and worthy of being classed as "pro saws" i currently own a husky rancher 460 which is a fine saw but wasnt meant to duke it out with the pro class but its gotten me thru alotta wood without even a hiccup. now this saw seems to almost have enought power for my needs but i have CAD (ya i have been watching this site for a long time now and finnally joined

i do have enough money for either the 65 or 72 but not much more by any means ( she already wnts to kill me haha but what can i say)
so i was teeterin more to the 2165 with the fact i should have enough ka-honays to run the 28in bar i plan to save only for the biggest of stems. mostly be running a 20" bcuz thats all shell need most of time.

the trees i run into up here is hickory, red oak, sycamor, pine, lotta ash an maples, birch an beech walnut, exct. but i obviously try to take the hard wood(prefferably ash but the darn beetles ar killin em here in the very western most corner in Mass. some range in size from 10" to a blip over 4ft.

so is it worth me spending about 150 more to invest in the 2172? or save the money to get spare chains bars gas, oils an more?

i bought cheapos before but nothing close to the jonsereds/huskys, and the local husky/stihl dealer is only in it to make a buck an he really makes you feel it which is sad that the two biggest baddest an best names get a bad wrap from them an their poor intrests. BUT my local jonsered shop is run by one man. an hes one good man, takes care of you an any problems may have personally(he owns the shop an everythin else and has a family) so i'll be proud to hand him my hundreds of dollars.

sorry for all that talk im almost embarresed haha just excited to finlly have the honor to post on the renowned site here:bowdown:

i love both the saws here, but im 21 with a fiance', house, my chevy, got her a new civic, arctic cat wheeler, an of corse the dogs haha. so basically my money i spread far an thin but im proud of what we got together, so i really gotta make this decision count, thats why of corse i came to the best in the business, please help me in anyway i greatly hugly appreciate it:blob2:

Well Boys, the season is finally in, the smiles are only beginning:rock:

Picked up a 2171 dismorning, 2172 rerplaced it. I was told they are both the same saw, or were . 2172 has a bigger piston and more umph for a hundred fifty more, plus is an updated version, the weight difference in negligable and if you can afford it, more power, less time=more bang for your time.

Those two choices are a pick em. You'll not do wrong with either, but if your going to be runnin that 28 much, I would go with the 2171. If your looking for value on the dollar, I would go with the 65. Great saw.

Supposed to be great saws. :rock:
I just shopped the 60-70cc class, myself. Dunno what you plan to pay for the saw, but it sounds like dough is kinda stretched already for ya. I just got a Makita 6421 (same exact saw as Dolmar 6400) for $472 via special order at Home Depot. It goes for $600+ everywhere else I've looked. At $472, I don't think one can beat it in terms of bang/buck in the 60-70cc class. Many will tell you its the best saw in its class at any price (I don't know enough about these things to make that claim). Just giving you a heads-up, since you seemed value-oriented . . .

Good luck w/ your choice.

I picked up a 2165 around christmas. It's a great saw. I cut a few cord in January and haven't had the chance to run it since - the wood pile is just starting to show again with the snow melting.

I'd say save the money and get the 2165 unless you really need to pull a 28" regularly. That being said, mine came with a 20" and after cutting in my pile in January, I ordered a 16" as the 20" was longer than needed in my grappler pile.

Good luck in your decision.

i really appreciate all of the input, an i did make the move, ended sinkin my moola into the 2172:blob2:d4m!! talk about a fire breather.

out the door got it for $786. an Mr. John did nbot have the 2165 instock he sold 3 within days of eachother(shows how amazing an desirable these fine pieces of eqiupment are)

i do not think that i could be a happier man at the moment(maybe if she felt as i did about the whole thing)haha

is that a fair price you think? he gave me both files an guides, spare chain also

right you are Hedge,

C'mon Sunfish! Even I got one... And I'm a Stihl guy! It's one of the "bucket list saws":laugh:
I'M a Stihl guy too but the 372xp and 346xp are the best Backup 2 saw plan you can have Ha Ha. Seriously my 372 gets picked up just about every time I need a bigger saw and the 346 does fair in a bucket when I don't have time to gas a little one ,or the limb is big and needs a quick,smooth cut. repped you for that crossover from our beloved Stihl's.:hmm3grin2orange:

I dont know where to begin with the 372... but I can tell you all the hype and praise that it has received, is well deserved! It does sound like the 365 would suit you well though, I think either one will do you many years of reliable service.
I am considering a 365, and I dont even need one haha. Husky makes a fine saw, that is for sure.

To bo honest one of the only reasons i considered the 2172(372xp) was because i know that i can put my trust in everyone here, you simply cannot beat real world situation and conditions that test a saw beyond anything.

through what seems to be millions of all the threads everyone had on the saws i had a very hard time specifically trying to find a fault in them in anyway possible, and almost every other saw out there has tons of negatives that everyone posts about. some of which are personal opinions but whether your a hardcore stihl, husky, dolmar or alittle of both its one of the few things we all agree on:msp_scared: 372xp and cs2172 are two of the most sought after and somehow still living legends:rock:

my saw plan right now is one of my ole' mans muculloch 1635s, rancher 460, and now the 2172, they always got the job done, an with this purchase i honestly feel like a little boy with a new toy haha:blob2:

in a way i am glad that my local husky/stihl dealer was asking too much for the 372xp and said the 365 was discontinued, because i would have never met one of the best guys in the business, that gave me a brand new 2172 for $786 OTD price, an the 372xp was $935 OTD

BE SAFE CUTTIN GUYS, HAVE FUN

To bo honest one of the only reasons i considered the 2172(372xp) was because i know that i can put my trust in everyone here, you simply cannot beat real world situation and conditions that test a saw beyond anything.

through what seems to be millions of all the threads everyone had on the saws i had a very hard time specifically trying to find a fault in them in anyway possible, and almost every other saw out there has tons of negatives that everyone posts about. some of which are personal opinions but whether your a hardcore stihl, husky, dolmar or alittle of both its one of the few things we all agree on:msp_scared: 372xp and cs2172 are two of the most sought after and somehow still living legends:rock:

my saw plan right now is one of my ole' mans muculloch 1635s, rancher 460, and now the 2172, they always got the job done, an with this purchase i honestly feel like a little boy with a new toy haha:blob2:

in a way i am glad that my local husky/stihl dealer was asking too much for the 372xp and said the 365 was discontinued, because i would have never met one of the best guys in the business, that gave me a brand new 2172 for $786 OTD price, an the 372xp was $935 OTD

BE SAFE CUTTIN GUYS, HAVE FUN

Congrats on your new saw. Glad you went with the 2172. Not that the 2165 wouln't get the job done but a 28" bar will work better with more cc's behind it. Now if you would just post some pics for pic hungry guys like me that would be great!

yeah pretty much had my mind made up on the 2165, but when there wasnt anymore in stock an i had to WAIT till wednesday an the 72 was right there before my eyes(for the price i was expecting the 65 for) i just couldnt resist:hmm3grin2orange:

now, i do have a pretty deep backround with saws an things like, but is the 2165 just a smaller bore yet same stroke than the 72? how would the 65 feel as tho it had more torque?

can anyone please confirm wether the husky 365 is still in or totall gone? the other dealer had told me that it was 100%discontinued

if there was a survey to be taken, what does yall think would be the top three saws in production after 2000? taking whatever in to consideration

and im sry rob neither do i know how to but my fiance' dropped an broke the $300somethin camera off the fireplace mantel breakin it

Latest posts

Back