Best chainsaw to keep in the truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hustihler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just joined the site yesterday(after looking in from the outside for about a year). This is a great site and I've learned tons from you guys already, but the topic I'm concerned with today is if you could pick one chainsaw to ride in the truck/truck box what model and why. I ask this question because I'm a firewood cutter(home and relatives-about 10-15 full cords a year) and a lot of my wood is scavenged from craig's list and the local want ads. Last year I missed out on some great locust, due to not having a saw in the truck-what happened was I responded to an ad in the trading post and went and looked at the trees after work, well it was a dream score all the standing dead timber was in a wide open field with easy access with a truck and trailer and the landowner was as nice as apple pie. To make a long story short, another gentleman(with a chainsaw) came by the next day, while I was at work, and laid claim to all the wood. I couldn't be mad at the landowner or the other firewood cutter( the wood was first cut first served). The point of my story is, I did have some extra time that day I looked at the trees to lay some wood on the ground, and lay claim to it first; but I had no saw with me(all my saws were at home-1 hour away). I want to prevent this from happening again this year, so I've been trying to put together a "portable firewood cutting kit" for my truck and I need help with chainsaw selection.

Here's a list of my criteria/questions:

1) 50 cc or 60 cc? I think 70 cc saws are just too big for this application, I think
2) has to fit easily into a standard Full size truck toolbox w/ other gear(Box is on a 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins quad cab std. bed)
3) Most of the trees I scavenge are 20" or less mixed hardwoods/softwoods if package deal in removal, and the occasional 24" diameter
4) Saw will spend 95% of its life in truckbox when not in use or being maintained, so saw needs to be dependable
5) What size bar and chain and why-I'm thinking 18" will be a happy medium
6) Has to have a very good power to weight ratio
7) Has to be Husqvarna or Stihl-sorry I don't mean to start a brand war, especially on my first ever post. The reason I chose these two because of familiarity and dealer support, I'm sure Dolmar/Makitas, Jonsereds, and Echoes make great saws, but not for me
8) Has to have a decompression valve, I know this is a much debated topic but they work for me

Saws that I have used/own/owned-
Current line-up:Stihl 024 Super AV will be selling/trading soon on a Stihl 261, Husqvarna 346xp new edition, Stihl 009L, Stihl MS440 magnum
Saw I have experience with: Husqvarna 575xp, Stihl 660 magnum, Stihl 210(sucks), Stihl Farm Boss 290(my least favorite saw ever), various Poulans and craftsman(sold all of them)

Saws on my list of candidates for truckbox duty:

1) Stihl 361
2) Stihl 036 pro
3) Stihl 360 pro
4) Husqvarna 359
5) Husqvarna 353
6) Stihl 026 pro
7) Stihl 260 pro
8) Husqvarna 555(if they ever come out in my neck of the woods)
9) Husqvarna 560xp/562xp(if they ever come out in my neck of the woods)
10) Stihl 034, but I don't know if they came with decompression valves
11) I am open to other Stihl or Husqvarna choices, but these two brands only
****The only saw on this list I've had any trigger time on is the Stihl 034, so I would love to hear from you guy's that actually owned and used these saws, please no classic unjustified Stihl or Husqvarna bashing, I actually like them both the same.

I hope I don't stir up too much controversy with my first post and when I searched thru the forum I did not see any threads on this subject, I also realize I could put one of my current saws in the truck, but I need a good excuse to buy a new saw, lol! Thanks in advance.

Sorry but you are crazy for wanting to put a Stihl or husky in your tool box.
Buy an older Homelite XL12/XL Cheap, dependable, and will last you forever!
Or even a McCulloch 10-10

Last edited:
My tool box locks so I'm going with lone wolf's recommendation of the 346 xp. It's small enough to leave plenty of room for other tools as well.

i usually have the 026 on the P-side floor for that unexpected wood score,but if i have a tree in mind then i pack the 660 and a couple of different length bars

I think a muffler modded Wildthing with a sharp chain would be perfect, I wouldn't loose sleep if it did grow legs and wonder off...

Your over thinking this, just my .02

This is what I was thinking too. If all you need it for is to lay claim to the wood and come back later a Wild Thingy will do the job and won't be a big loss if it were to grow legs.

You could very well find a good used 346 or 026 for that matter. I feel the way others do as either of those 2 saws would do great. They are certainly a lot of fun to use. Good luck,welcome to AS, and congrats on your first post.

My tool box locks so I'm going with lone wolf's recommendation of the 346 xp. It's small enough to leave plenty of room for other tools as well.

Yes good choice I have one and did not use it till we got the Irene storm last week and I can tell you when you are tired or working long hours this little beauty really shines. Now the best bar and chain combo I have found is 16 inch bar with the stock husky chain.I like the MS 440 also but for speed in small stuff the Husky is sweet.

A used Stihl 029/290, that has been spray painted black to disguise it.

The reason I say this is a few reasons.

-It will cut a variety of sizes of wood
-Will run an 18" bar well
-If you leave a pretty clean Stihl or Husky in your truck IT WILL get stolen
-Cheap to replace when it gets stolen
-Black paint will some what prevent it getting stolen.
-And when it gets stolen, you wont be sad or even feel bad

Last edited:
A used Stihl 029/290, that has been spray painted black to disguise it.

The reason I say this is a few reasons.

-It will cut a variety of sizes of wood
-If you leave a pretty clean Stihl or Husky in your truck IT WILL get stolen
-Cheap to replace when it gets stolen
-Black paint will some what prevent it getting stolen.

Just dont leave the truck alone with the saw in it simple as that

Saw choice

Well if I was doing a truck box saw i would look at two saws from Stihl and two from Husky. My Stihl choices 026 with two bar 20" or a 036 and a 20" bar. My Husky choices would be a 55 with a 20" bar or 445 with a 20" bar.The advantage to a 20" bar is the saw is able to do any size of tree up to 36" if the operator has the skill and some patience:smile2:

Wow, you guy's give some great advice and are very quick to boot, so thanks for all the replies so far. To clarify a few things, yes I will be using a locking truck box and if in the event someone does break-in my truck box, my insurance company will cover me( I already called them about it last week about it, as long as I have receipts and pictures, my family has been dealing with this same company more years than I am old and they are great). I also would take the saw out when venturing on vacation and trips to more metropolitan areas. I also like having a saw in the truck because I live out in the country and have a 45min-1hr communte to work and storm and wind blown trees have known to be an issue, so that added security is a bonus as well. As far as my selection and overthinking this, once I got away from the Poulans and Mac's(I'm not trying to be disrespectful here) I just cannot go back. I am also interested in a saw that I currently do not own, I'm ready for something new-since I've found this site I have developed this CAD that everyone talks about on here. To explain my list further I have grown accustomed to using pro/semi-pro saws, because even though I'm not a professional, my 9-5 aka 7:30-4:00 job is very physically demanding and when I do get an opportunity to cut some wood I want it done with a tool that's easy and a joy to use. Some of the "want-ad" wood that I get is just a single small tree, that it would be more beneficial to me to just cut up into blocks and load onto my truck bed instead of coming back with a truck and trailer. Thanks again and look forward to more posts

I carry a Stihl MS 460 with a 32" Oregon light weight bar at all times in the crummy...protech crossbox in a Toyota Tacoma. It's mostly for blowdown and danger trees on haul roads, and the occasional old growth fir log for firewood. I still have enough room to fit my TS 420 line/culvert saw, cork boots, hard hats, 4' stakes etc etc. I say throw one of your existing saws in the box.....maybe rotate em every now and then. One thing to remember is that handbars WEAR BADLY riding in a box, even rubbing on the rubber floor in my box. If you aren't careful you can wear the case too, I've taken to putting a layer of epoxy on the bottom of the handle bars as a barrier to the wear from sliding around.

I say look into a 6421 that baileys has with the big bore setup in 80cc. 80cc with a 18" bar is hoot:rock:

Latest posts

Back