Best chainsaw to keep in the truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point of my story is, I did have some extra time that day I looked at the trees to lay some wood on the ground, and lay claim to it first; but I had no saw with me(all my saws were at home-1 hour away).

Noble thought, but if you bucked it up with the intention of coming back later there is a strong probability it would be gone by the time you returned. In a situation like that, only limb, cut and split what you can take with you then.

in the event someone does break-in my truck box, my insurance company will cover me( I already called them about it last week about it, as long as I have receipts and pictures, my family has been dealing with this same company more years than I am old and they are great.

I will guarantee you that there is a deductible on your policy and there will not be first dollar coverage on your items that may be stolen. Relying on a policy that may not cover your loss is poor insurance against loss.

I would think minimum 60cc saw with a 20" bar for that duty. I like 70cc and up personally so for me a 70cccall with a 28" bar would probably be it for me.

I own 135 chainsaws! And when its time to make the chips fly i find myself grabbing my Husqvarna 266xp. I believe it is the all around best firewood cutting saw you will find! And you can run a shorty, but will have no problem with a 24in bar as well! Mine is a 37 year old saw, and I will admit I have hopped the beast up a bit with a bigger carburator and an exaust mod! But this saw will go neck and neck with anything you can purchase today if not leave it in a pile of chips! And with proper maintenance is a very reliable chainsaw and just sounds badass when idling or on top end when 2-stroking! 😉

I have for decades preferred an 034 or 036 for what you are saying. Very compact for a 60cc saw and will fill a 50cc saw niche with a 16inch bar or a 70 cc saw with a 20in..The right tools for the jobs go a long way. I would carry that or similar , both bars if you like 16Inch, + a 10 to 14in compact saw with 3/8 picco for ground clearing and smaller wood that likely will dull the chain quickly. Those little bars and chains are quick to resharpen and much cheaper to replace. Preserves the longer bar saw to keep cutting the big stuff fast without stopping for long sharpening sessions and extends the life of the more expensive parts. Plus u have a backup saw should your main saw get pinched or fail before finished. Been there, done all that several times. It sucks needing a full load of wood in a short time without a saw that will cut it.

I carry a MS250 with a 16" bar in my truck and it comes with me almost all the time in the tractors and always comes with in the combine. I'm not really worried about it getting stolen as I'd have bigger issues than that if it drove away while inside the combine lol.

It lives in the extended cab part of my little Ford Ranger and has come in handy tons of times to be able to just jump in and go with everything I need when the need arises.

12 year old thread! Following it anyway, in the market for a truck saw myself. Likely going to be my 034.

In the 12 years since this thread was started, canned premix fuel has become popular. Whatever saw one chooses, canned premix is a good idea, unless it's being used all the time.
Likely a great idea or straight no eth fuel.

If you guys are looking for an 034 I have two coming up should be ready to roll out this week all fresh pistons, rings
ect... cylinders have been off, tank handles blah blah blah. One is ported and Likely another will be by Tuesday. Machine work on ported jugs is standard practice for these and popup Meteor piston kit for them. Most pistons were cut 020 to fit the chamber closely.

Latest posts

Back