Best CSM powerhead???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
First off, let's just establish that I have never run a CSM. However, my buddy with his Woodmizer is finally retiring, so I am considering getting a CSM for "boutique" milling 1-5 prime logs per year. If you had an unlimited budget, what powerhead would you buy?

I've got a MS 461 now. Do I need an 880? Remember, budget unlimited. Husky, Dolmar, etc.?

If unlimited... Why not ask your friend if you could take his band mill off his hands when he retires?

What brand of saw can you get parts/service for locally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodmizer bandmill ~$18K, and already sold. AK mill ~$2.5-3K at the most. You do the math... Especially, since I only do a couple of "boutique" logs per year.
I can get service/parts/maintenance locally for anything. Thanks for responding. Please keep the opinions coming.

If going over a 36" mill a 880 or 3120. If under that a 395.

I would be buying a 3120 Husqvarna for sure. Then a nice 4ft to 5 ft bar with a ripping chain. And of course a CSM to fit the bar you choose. That would be a package that would saw anything you want for table tops whatever. And if you have a regular chain as well you will then be able to saw the large tree with the 3120 as well. Tons of power and they last. Now I am not bad mouthing Stihl I own three of them but they do not seem to mill as well as my Husky's do. They get hotter and do not like to be on the Alaskan setup. My old Husky's seem to like the Alaskan setup with no issues. Get the 3120 check the videos on you tube of the 3120 in action both in logs and milling.

First off, let's just establish that I have never run a CSM. However, my buddy with his Woodmizer is finally retiring, so I am considering getting a CSM for "boutique" milling 1-5 prime logs per year. If you had an unlimited budget, what powerhead would you buy?
Wait for BobL.
Since I bought my 088 w/ 36" Alaskan Mark II for $450 I have a biased opinion.
BUT - make sure you can easily adjust the chain, swap the chain, add fuel, and add oil when it is mounted. Inboard clutch is mandatory to me.

Now I am not bad mouthing Stihl I own three of them but they do not seem to mill as well as my Husky's do. They get hotter and do not like to be on the Alaskan setup. My old Husky's seem to like the Alaskan setup with no issues.

I'm curious, as I'm sure the OP is as well. Which Stihl saws do you own that you've milled with?

lf its milling, ms880 for sure. You want inboard clutch and adjustable carb H needle. Both of which you won't find on a 3120xp. Could you imagine on those long cuts not being able to richen the H-jet? Don't know what Husky was thinking there but someone dropped the ball.

The 3120 will run plenty rich for most with the fixed H. The outboard clutch helps with keeping heat from the case. The front tensioner is a bit aggravating but the rest is not a deal breaker. A 3120 can be had for $300 less new.

That's another issue, the chain tensioner. Look the 3120xp aint a bad saw, just these three pitfalls lMO cross it off the list when looking for the perfect milling saw.

Agreed. 880 or 3120 with a quiver of bars and chains for any occasion. I'd also have a refrigerator full of porters and stouts and a stand up urinal in my shop while we're at it.

The 3120 will run plenty rich for most with the fixed H. The outboard clutch helps with keeping heat from the case. The front tensioner is a bit aggravating but the rest is not a deal breaker. A 3120 can be had for $300 less new.

I'm looking for one of these 3120's for $300.00!!! I'll take three!!!

Surprised no one has mentioned the 084?
BTW, WoodMizer has just release info on the LT-15 WIDE.....with the large engine, under $10K and will cut a 36" wide slab!

Scott (Wood Mizer Lt-10 is fun too) B

I'm looking for one of these 3120's for $300.00!!! I'll take three!!!

Surprised no one has mentioned the 084?
BTW, WoodMizer has just release info on the LT-15 WIDE.....with the large engine, under $10K and will cut a 36" wide slab!

Scott (Wood Mizer Lt-10 is fun too) B

I said $300 less than a 880;) somewhere around $14-1500.

That would be nice but still won't do a 45" wide slab. The 84 is getting hard to find several parts for. He did say unlimited budget so maybe a Honda 4 stroke engine driving a 60-72" bar.

LT10 and LT15 WIDE both look like awesome "hobby" mills. One for pure low cost - high performance and one low-cost HUGE slabbing mill. I would take either one if someone were to give me one or if I could find a good used one (unfortunately, nobody seems to want to sell these things used) BTW, you scare me when you say LT10 too much fun. It looks like a very attractive mill for my needs!

HudSon HFE is a decent mill at a reasonable price. LinnLumber mills will sell you kits, parts or complete mill as well, good mills as well. As far as CSM a Logosol M5 and a 660 or a husky 395.

LT-10 is a fun little 'hobby mill'....cool thing is it paid for itself in the first two weeks making 20" natural edge slabs.....that is what makes things FUN! Not spending tons of money to cut away most of the material you are trying to save.

Every two passes with a CSM, you lose a whole 3/4" board(or thicker if you are needing to use a .404 chain).....I don't lose a board until make my 8th pass. Less sawdust equals more slabs/boards, and less waste! That said, I do have a CSM set-up, not super large stuff...but good enough. I use a Jonsered 2094 w/32" and a Stihl 064 w/36"
I do have plans on getting a 50+ inch Alaskan MKIII....powerhead might just be one of those two until I can find bigger on a budget.

Scott (no unlimited funds in the real world) B

I'm totally sold on bandsaw mills. Now the real question seems to be: Should I buy a low-end (LT10) mill for myself or would I be better served just paying an experienced sawyer with a bigger mill 1-2 times/yr for services rendered. If I were older and closer to retirement, I would get an LT40 diesel hydraulic, for sure.

The best part about a CSM, is that I could buy a huge powerhead, and then I could show a couple of huge slabs to my wife, and she would totally approve of my purchases! She totally gets the beauty of lumber. She's an artist after all (pottery, painting, etc.)

Latest posts

Back