Best Gloves to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I spent all last week cutting up stuff and moving logs. Last monday I bought a set of Stihl Proscraper gloves. They seem awesome compared to the 8 pairs of mechanics wear gloves that fell apart. Well sure enough after a week of using them there is a hole in one of the fingers. Do you guys know what is the toughest glove to work with that isn't like wearing a welding glove. I'm tired of wasting $$. Thanks.

I bought some at wal mart that seem to hold up well. I think they are well lamont, and are all leather except for the back of the hand, its some sort of stretchy mesh type deal.Have been real good.

Try the cheapie Stihl gloves. They have the none slip palm. About $5 per pair and seem to last longer than any thing else out there.

Pretty decent for climbers too.

The best chainsaw gloves and skidder cable pulling gloves I have found and they last and last through very rough work are these Shubee Hulkster Gloves:

https://www.shubee.com/gloves/the-hulkster-anti-vibration-glove.html

They are about $14 bucks. They make grabbing things like firewood, chainsaws and pulling chains and cables very comfortable and give you a much better grip.

You simply have to try them to believe how nice they work. I bought one pair used them for several weeks then bought a 6 pack so that I wouldn't run out.

My opinion,

Sam

Atlas.

Cheap, relatively durable, comfortable, and cheap. I buy em by the 12 pack on amazon and use them for everything.

I have been using Kinco gloves from the local farm store.

About $8 pair. They are insulated/waterproof & wear like iron.

I just bought 2 new pairs & the first lasted 3 winters worth of cutting & spliting.

They will keep you WARM when its cold out (below 0)

Made with pigskin leather & canvas construction.

Cant beat em.

Kinco style 1958

I used to have the same problem with wearing out the cheapies in a week or less.

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=WK-1958

Atlas.

Cheap, relatively durable, comfortable, and cheap. I buy em by the 12 pack on amazon and use them for everything.

I have a pair of the Atlas Fit 300 gloves with the blue palms, and they are by far the best gloves I've used for stacking firewood and loading wood on the splitter. I just use leather gloves when I'm running the saw.

I've been looking for a source of elk skin gloves for quite some time...
Was given a pair and fell in love.
Mainly used in welding gloves.

Well, evidently I haven't looked in a while...googled a bunch of them.

The man that gave me my pair said they were $50...I believe him now...

They were worth a hundred.

Check with your local fire dept. We use "rescue" gloves that have a thin kevlar palm. They look just like mechaincs gloves but won't rip or tear. You can handle broken glass and run your palm across a saw blade and it won't leave a mark, but thin enough that you can check someone's pulse while wearing them. Think they are in the $30-40(Canadian) dollar range.

I use deerskin gloves to cut(usually stihl brand) and then switch to the $1.99 a pair heavy leather gloves to load/unload.

I spent all last week cutting up stuff and moving logs. Last monday I bought a set of Stihl Proscraper gloves. They seem awesome compared to the 8 pairs of mechanics wear gloves that fell apart. Well sure enough after a week of using them there is a hole in one of the fingers. Do you guys know what is the toughest glove to work with that isn't like wearing a welding glove. I'm tired of wasting $$. Thanks.

I know what you mean!!! I paid $24.00 for a pair of Youngstown "HEAVYDUTY" gloves. They SUCK ,stitching started to unravel after a couple times of use.The best deal I found was Harbor Freight the gloves that are dipped in rubber. If you catch them on sale you can get them for .99. I always went by the saying" You get what you pay for" Well those Youngstown gloves were not worth it. It seems they ought to put the stitching more on the upper finger& palm instead of palm side. When I've Buckedup my wood the bark seems to be WAY TOO hard on the gloves. As far as the rubber coated gloves, sure there not the best quality but, I at least get a season or Two out of them and their cheap, plus if it rains I can grip my saw purty good.So if my math is correct I bought 5 pair of rubber gloves @ .99 a pair, and if they last me 1 or 2 seasons I should get 5 to 10 years of wear and they only cost me $5.00. Just my 2

I've been using a pair of Youngstown - best gloves I've used so far, many sessions of cutting & stacking with no visible wear. Some insulation, probably too warm for summer. Lots of dexterity, no-slip grip. I'm buying a few more pairs.

I get these gray and yellow ones at Home Depot for 10 bucks. They last about 2 weeks or so when working steady.

I like the nylon gloves but after awhile they smells like stinky butt :dizzy:.

Last edited:
Back