best homeowner chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfishingman

Reaction score
Good Morning-
I presently own a Sears (dont laugh) 16 inch 38 cc saw with a semi chisel stihl chain on it. It has treated me well for the last 5 years in doing simple yard care as well as dropping some decent trees but the oil pump has died and it will be cost ineffective to try to fix it.
We just bought a larger property and I want to upgrade from the Craftsmen level. I have been looking at Stihls in the 50 cc range with 18" bar as well as the Husky Farmboss in the same range.
I am not planning on doing any major forestry jobs but want something reliable with the power needed when the opportunity arises.
Any suggestions or guidlelines.
Dave

The 3 saw plan

Hello,
In my opinion, if you can afford it, get on the 3 saw plan. Buy a small 14"-16" saw for limbing, an 18"-20" medium sized saw for generally cutting and a 20"-24" big displacement saw that has some A$$ when needed !!!! If the money is not falling out of your pockets, you can always buy the medium size one first and add the other two after the money tree grows. I use the 3 saw plan and it works great for me.
BASSO

Welcome to AS, Flyfishingman!

Which dealer made the best impression on you, the Stihl or Husky guy? You'll get lots of opinions on what saw to buy here, and can get lots more if you do a search, but comparing the top of the line saw brands is just like a Ford vs Chevy argument. If I were you I'd select the dealer first and then worry about which 50cc size saw to select.

All that said, I run a MS 270 and like it a lot. You can save some weight and pick up a 260, or get a little more power and move up the the 280. Let us know what you decide to do.

The three saw plan is great, and is what I'm working toward. I agree about starting 'in the middle' and adding the upper and lower ends when you can.

Before someone says that the only saw that will do your job is the MS361 :laugh: , I have to put a plug in for the Dolmar 5100s. I think that would make a great starting point.

In the 50cc range, i'd go for the Dolmar 5100 in a heartbeat. If you want to jump up from that the 361, 357, adn 359 are all very good choices.

Dolmar 5100-1st choice with 18" bar
Stihl 280-----2nd choice with 20" bar
Both running 3/8 chain
I reach for these 2 saws more then any.Can't go wrong.

MS361 or Husky 357xp is the obvious choises.......:chainsawguy: :rockn: :rockn:

...or maybe Dolmar 5100S....:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Buy a good used Stuhl or Husky, like an XP Husky 272, or a good Stihl, 034, in that range.

Need 50cc's? Look no further than a 5100S.

I considered them all in the 50cc size.
Look no further than the Dolmar 5100S. $389 plus shipping online. $399 plus tax at a shop.
I think The Dolmar is the way to go. Compare it's specifications, price and reputation here to the Stihl 260 Pro or the Husky 353.
Another reason to get the 5100S......

....Because Thall says so!!! :rock:

Mitch :popcorn:

pro saw?

We just bought a larger property and I want to upgrade from the Craftsmen level. I have been looking at Stihls in the 50 cc range with 18" bar as well as the Husky Farmboss in the same range.
I am not planning on doing any major forestry jobs but want something reliable with the power needed when the opportunity arises.
Any suggestions or guidlelines.Dave

Ok, I know that I'm probably going to pay for this comment, but hear it goes anyway. I'm not sure that you really need a pro saw like a Dolmar 5100 or Stihl 260. I do think that you would be happy with a 50cc saw since you are not going to do any major forestry jobs. A Stihl MS250, Husky 350 or even a Echo CS 440 will probably handle the job and can probably be had for less than $300. Now if money isn't of any concern, then sure go ahead and buy a 361.

hello

i have ran a 5100 and they are a good saw and well built.

i have a 395xp,372xp,338xp,142, and a 10 year old 55 and 2 346xps.

the 346xp is my favorite saw with its high rpms.

i am not sure but i am going to check into it, i think the 346xp may out cut the 5100 and they are priced about the same.

talcott

p.s. i like the SWEEDES.

A husqvarna 350 will be an excellent saw to have.

Its got a little less power than a 353, which I've ran and consider it to be a fine saw for what its supposed to do.

Good Morning-
I presently own a Sears (dont laugh) 16 inch 38 cc saw with a semi chisel stihl chain on it. It has treated me well for the last 5 years in doing simple yard care as well as dropping some decent trees but the oil pump has died and it will be cost ineffective to try to fix it.
Dave

If it is a Poulan based saw of recent vintage the oil pump should only cost around $25.00, tops and most likely all you need is the plastic gear $8-15.00. There are no special tools needed and the repair can usually be done by a novice in less than 1 hour. Any Husky or Jonsered dealer should easily be able to get the parts. If a person has done a few(dealer/mechanic) then it should be a easy 15 minute repair. Good luck.

Back