best loader for the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADAMH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
new to the forum....

I am starting up a firewood business, and want the best loader to load split firewood from a pile on the ground into a dump trailer.

Currently i have a Massey ferguson 245 2wd tractor with loader, but it sucks in the snow..tried weight boxes and just cant get enough traction.

I was thinking of getting a simular size 4wd tractor....

however.... I have been looking a new holland LS150 or Ls160 skidsteer loaders. With a rock picker type tine bucket..

what would you guys suggest? I am kinda leaning towards the skidsteer...

it will be operated on flat ground mostly in the winter..and 100% as a loader..so the PTO option of the tractor is not a factor.

has anyone used a skidsteer as a loader for firewood? how well has it worked for you? what type bucket would you suggest?

Thanks
Adam

Have you tried chain on your tires or filling them with liquid?
I have a NH Boomer TC45 with industrial lug filled tires (although it is 4wd) and use it for back dragging snow with no problems. It's kinda tough going thru deep, heavy mud.

If you go the skidsteer route make sure it will lift high enough and check out what the tip weigh is at full extension.

unless your loading you wood from a paved surface i can only assume you will loose cliants due to dirt mixed in with the wood. skid loaders dont work good in areas where you could have a small piece of fire wood burried under the mud, due to no suspention the tires just slip and slide . its really no fun loading wood with a skid loader. for you i would look into a small wheel loader. kubota 420. kumatsu wa30. and so on and so on.

Check out the ASV30 loader. The rock tine bucket would work but a tine grapple would load your wood and provide additional capabilities. Most used machines come with a standard dirt bucket and you can add to that. Early machines (2000 - 2001) listed on the web in the 10 - 12 k range.Watch eBay.

And this loader will go anywhere you want to go when you want to go without tearing up the terrain. See ASV30 VS ASV50 thread in the large equipment forum. Some excellent pictures posted by several people. Best of luck to you in your search!

why load with a track loader when itt dont matter if you distroy the surface your driving on ? lol i thought track machines were used for less turf damage. atleast thats when i use my machine. tires for a wheel or skid loader are about 600 for all 4. tracks for a track loader are 8000.00

I run a LS-180, It's a solid, solid machine. New Holland is leading the competition in terms of stability and arm reach.

I don't, however, use it for firewood. If you were loading it from a concrete pad, it would be best. However whatever you use it for you won't be able to beat it.

It will cut down your loading time signifficantly as opposed to a wheel loader. You can turn around in about one 10th of the time.

You can also get tracks for wheel models. Throw them on whenever the snow or mud hits and you'll be unstopable. If you try to run it without tracks in mud or in greasy conditions it's just about useless.

The track loader will give a wider range of capability than the compact tractor wheel loader. Maneuverability is certainly a strong advantage of the track loader over the wheel loader. Tracks for the ASV50 are $4100, less for the ASV30. The New Holland is a solid machine for sure.

I suggest that you go on line at asvi.com, call the 800 number and request the videos. The ASV machines are built only as dedicated designed track machines. All others are existing machines that have track assemblies added. The side by side comparisons would be useful for someone considering the purchase of a loader. I researched the subject for a long time before commiting. If undecided, rent a machine for at least a week if an extended demo is not available.

You dont want a skid steer or any tracked type skid loader for dumping split firewood into a dump truck. If your sides on the dump truck are high enough to hold atleast a cord of wood you will not be able to get that skid steer to dump at that height. Skid steers are used for small access solutions, in a firewood lot you should not have this concern

We use a Massey tractor for loading firewood. It takes me only 4 scoops for each full cord and less than 10 minutes for the truck to be loaded. A skid steer would take 3 times as long as this and would require manually loading/placing the wood were it needs to go on the truck so it doesnt fall out the back end. You want a tractor for this. Need a large counter weight on the back of the tractor. I can get you pics of mine if you want. Shouldnt need 4x4

A New Holland Skid Steer is very able to dump into a dump truck. Worst case scenario you can even pile up some dirt for a little ramp to get yourself higher.

loader pics

this is what I use.
I have the 14 yr old daughter run the skidsteer and pick the logs up by the end. Its fun to cut wood when the logs are held off the ground about waist high. Works real good for loading into the dump truck. All the small stuff just falls through(snow,sawdust,bark and dirt). This style tracks cost me around 2500 and takes about 45 minutes to put them on by myself and 5 to take them off. I like the flexibility of both tracks and tires. There are just too many ways to name that you can use a skidsteer.I need someone to show me how to make these pics open in the text:help: :hmm3grin2orange:

He is asking about loading split firewood into a truck not whole logs laying on the ground. For me I need the weight of a heavy machine. Come Fall we have one huge pile of firewood. averaging 800 cords per yr. I dont think a skid steer would be able to get the traction trying to push into our mountain and very few would be able to lift high enough to put a full cord into a dump truck with 10ft high sides. My F450's have to have atleast 10ft high sides to hold a full cord. Its different than setting big logs, since firewood is loose and light so you need the sides up higher than what you see above

Last edited:
He is asking about loading split firewood into a truck not whole logs laying on the ground. For me I need the weight of a heavy machine. Come Fall we have one huge pile of firewood. averaging 800 cords per yr. I don't think a skid steer would be able to get the traction trying to push into our mountain and very few would be able to lift high enough to put a full cord into a dump truck with 10ft high sides. My F450's have to have at least 10ft high sides to hold a full cord. Its different than setting big logs, since firewood is loose and light so you need the sides up higher than what you see above

I load the split wood with it also, I just didn't have any pics of that. Thats what I was talking about when I said the small stuff falls through the tines.Yes it depends on how high the sides of the dump trailer he is using. The only time the tracks don't work well is on icy ground. If it is in a cutting area with bark and sawdust and other junk that helps with the traction. I prefer the skid steer cause its fast and maneuverable.

sounds good. are you able to get a full cord into a dump truck with your skid steer?

Im thinking about buying a skid steer and would be great to be able to reduce the number of loaders we have if a skid can do it all.

I have had firewood loaded into our f650 which is great for hauling just about anything. And we use a New holland lx665 and ls190 both have no problem loading up wood. We dont sell firewood but I load all the large pieces of wood with that equipment. We just got a Faver grapple and that on the LS 190 I am able to pick up 10ft long giant pieces of Oak. IT has the counterweights on the back to keep it on the ground. Sorry if I jumped around while writing that.

why load with a track loader when itt dont matter if you distroy the surface your driving on ? lol i thought track machines were used for less turf damage. atleast thats when i use my machine. tires for a wheel or skid loader are about 600 for all 4. tracks for a track loader are 8000.00

Actually that is only 1/2 of what they are used for...you just hear more about this subject though..they out perform a skidsteer in thick or loose materails ANY DAY...but for this purpose look into a mini loader like a CAT 906 size....

http://catused.cat.com/en/Equipment...ers-Integrated-Toolcarriers/906/For-Sale.aspx

Yea a skidsteer is nearly useless in wet and slippery terrain. When u want to turn, u lock and skid one side hence the name, thus you are taking away half your power and say you are turning right, the right side just sits and spins instead of turning the machine

update...

put some chains on the tractor..and filled the tires with calcium...

tractor works great!!

cant get it stuck in any snow now!!!

thanks guys

Latest posts

Back