Best method to hide tree stumps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancouverbc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the trees I cut were too close to thompson river. The slope is 45-50 degrees and hard to measure. Presently, I put moss on the top so they dont scream out to everyone that they have just recently been cut. Maybe burn them but I guess that screams that I have guilty conscious and know the rules. I guess if you are really bad and take one out really close to river you could excavate the whole thing or at least grind it below surface. for context, my
neighbour cut a whole swath of trees right to river and has not been bothered even cut a bunch of trees on my property.

Last edited:
I'm going to move this to the Forestry and Logging forum. You'll probably get quite a few answers to your question.
You might not like the answers but they'll be based on actual experience with current law and custom.

Now I've never ever done this... ever... did I mention I'm 3rd gen gyppo...

If its one or two trees you can use the moss trick just cut your stump very low, and use lots and lots of moss, then toss a few limps and branches and what not over the top. Cover any skid marks with more moss and maybe a few ferns (no not the ones in your shorts).

This will keep most people from noticing that you have snaked a few decent trees out, it however won't keep anybody thats looking for stolen timber from noticing, in fact its kind of a red flag.

Also like I said this will only work on a handful of trees, if you plan on clear cutting then you might as well just do it and hope no one cares, or at least try and get a permit.

This is by no means condoning illegal activity...

While you're at it plant a seedling on the north side of the stump.

Ashes to ashes, you know.

it however won't keep anybody thats looking for stolen timber from noticing, in fact its kind of a red flag.

Boy howdy! We got a few winners hereabouts who cover the stump but just leave the face cut lying there like a formal announcement. I'm guessing that they never learned about causes and effects.

Boy howdy! We got a few winners hereabouts who cover the stump but just leave the face cut lying there like a formal announcement. I'm guessing that they never learned about causes and effects.
I burn leftovers in wood stove. I have to laugh at my neighbour who clearcut right to bank of largest fish river in our province and left the trees on the slope and even went 30 ft into my land.
Meanwhile talks about how much he loves trees and is outraged that other neighbour logged right up to his property line. He also cut down the only old growth cedar for miles around and just left it to rot.

Last edited:
Something tells me there will be a problem in about 20 to 25 years

The OP is a biologist. You would think that he'd be able to make the connect between streamside cutting and erosion. Apparently not.

I moved this thread here in hopes that some of you who are up to date on these things could school this guy a little. He needs it. Soon.

seen lots of homes go down the sauk and the stilly, usually after some yokel cut the timber right up the the river. They some times left a few cotton woods in a vain hope of erosion control, or they just didn't want to deal with cutting them for very little profit... Few years ago some genius decided to re direct the river, spent a few weeks with a dozer and an excavator digging a new channel to steer it away from his land... it worked... except now he's in prison.

Kind of tough Bob since he's in BC and I don't know the small forest landowner rules there. If say it were in WA a few can be taken. I've been told by a Forest Practices Forester firewooding the occasional tree in an RMZ is okay. Also if you're under 20 ac you can harvest a certain percentage. There are also hardwood conversions. IE hardwood cut and replanted with conifer. Small landowners cutting in RMZscan be a very dicey legal grey area. Allot also depends on how big of crusader the Forest Practices Forester is.

Him being in BC I haven't a clue about their rules. I believe they have Riparian Management Zones (RMZs) or different name but am not familiar with their rules.

Just because your neighbor didn't get pinched doesn't mean he still won't and you won't either...

My two cents,

Wes

Good information, Wes. I just thought it might be a good idea for the OP to have a better handle on what he's doing and the possible consequences.

The fact that he wants to hide his stumps speaks for itself.

Maybe some of our Canadian brethren can sharpen him up a little before he gets himself into serious trouble.

I was depressed the day I took the trees down. I honestly didnt expect to get much view. The result far exceeded my expectations.

seen lots of homes go down the sauk and the stilly, usually after some yokel cut the timber right up the the river. They some times left a few cotton woods in a vain hope of erosion control, or they just didn't want to deal with cutting them for very little profit... Few years ago some genius decided to re direct the river, spent a few weeks with a dozer and an excavator digging a new channel to steer it away from his land... it worked... except now he's in prison.

Was that the one on the Sauk ?

It was a site seeing a dozier in the Sauk right along Seattle City Light propriety on the westside of the river about 3 miles down river from Darrington I was floating down counting Steelhead reds for SCL

I was also a board member of the Skagit Watershed Group at that time when the guy changed the Sauk around

northmanlogging remember that little slide that blocked the Stilly about 8 or 9 years ago and re-rooted the Stilly River thru that housing development

I was a member of SIRC and was up in the egg beaters over looking what happen for hours on end

Was that the one next to skaglunds hill... took out 4-5 houses or so? Some genius is building a big fancy house just a little west of there, maybe 30 yds from the river.

vancouverbc
I was depressed the day I took the trees down. I honestly didnt expect to get much view. The result far exceeded my expectations.
In a few short years you might just have "riverfront" veiws and you can sell your house with the tag "easy beach access"

Was that the one next to skaglunds hill... took out 4-5 houses or so? Some genius is building a big fancy house just a little west of there, maybe 30 yds from the river.

In a few short years you might just have "riverfront" veiws and you can sell your house with the tag "easy beach access"

Or maybe he could jack it up, slide pontoons underneath, and have a houseboat. Just in case.

Back