Best overall OWB / Manufacturer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am heating both levels(main and basement) of a 2100sq ft ranch with garage in basement, 800 sq. st of the shop, domestic water. I am guessing that I will be in the area of 4-5 cord? Thats a guess at this point so close to spring. I keep house at 69f shop is constant 40 or so( only turn fan on when in there) , heat just radiates in there when I am not working. House is 2x6 wall with 9' ceilings, R-19 walls, R 36-52 ceilings, haven't redone since built 15 years ago-uneven. More than happy with unit so far. Made in Beatrice, Neb, I went with gasifier because of lower overall wood use, and fear of "greenies" trying to make me remove it at a later date.Also gasifier burns cleaner so I can use in summer for domestic water if choose.Started the burn mid oct to heat domestic water.

GO WITH a gassifyer

i had a central boiler and while it saved me tens of thousands over a lot of years, im replacing it with a gassification unit, empyer pro, next week.

the OWBs burn too much wood and smoke to much when you are loading them, in my opinion.

I have a gassifier in my basement. Mess indoors is not a [problem for us since it sits in an unfinished basement. Any heat loss from the unit rises to the living areas above.
I can't imagine having to do all the work that an older style OWB requires. We will probably get by this year with just under 4 cords burned for heat/DHW heating 2200 sq ft of which 1/2 is barely insulated(old farmhouse). Sure, I cut about 10 cords last year but I now have wood supply on hand for the next 2 years.

100% agree with the positives of burning dry wood. Our 1st year burning was not well prepared and had to burn less than ideal wood...this year it's all under 20% MC and it's like night/day difference...at least for our unit. As for smoke, except at the start of a burn...you will see little or next to no smoke out of our chimney....actually we frequently see steam.

I don't understand how a unit can change from downdraft to updraft burn.

Nature's Comfort NCB-175. $5780-$1500 credit = $4280
Just started on 1 Jan this year. I am using mixed seasoned and green wood only because I don't have enough seasoned since this was a sort of impulse buy trying to get the credit before the end of the year. The only time I get alot of smoke is for 15 min when first loaded. Have used maybe 2 1/2-3 cords so far. Water temp at 170, heating 2800 sq' well insulated with HW baseboard also DHW. Love this thing so far! With oil at $3.25/gal and wood free except for my time I'm glad I have this unit. Absolutely 0 problems so far but it hasn't been very long.

I have a gassifier in my basement. Mess indoors is not a [problem for us since it sits in an unfinished basement. Any heat loss from the unit rises to the living areas above.
I can't imagine having to do all the work that an older style OWB requires. We will probably get by this year with just under 4 cords burned for heat/DHW heating 2200 sq ft of which 1/2 is barely insulated(old farmhouse). Sure, I cut about 10 cords last year but I now have wood supply on hand for the next 2 years.

100% agree with the positives of burning dry wood. Our 1st year burning was not well prepared and had to burn less than ideal wood...this year it's all under 20% MC and it's like night/day difference...at least for our unit. As for smoke, except at the start of a burn...you will see little or next to no smoke out of our chimney....actually we frequently see steam.

I don't understand how a unit can change from downdraft to updraft burn.

Pretty simple, really. All about directing the exhaust flow where you want it to go. Updraft mode, bypasses the refractory chamber.

Latest posts

Back