Best plan for fuel for winter 09/10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreng

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a house with a few acres of woodland attached, birch, rowan, willow and some planted spruce. Most of the stuff is smallish (I am at 67N!) I am pondering the best plan for getting fuel in for winter 09/10.

If a tree is felled and left lying with leaves on I assume that the leaves will accelerate the drying process - true?

Would it be best to log, split and stack under cover before this winter, or leave everything lying until after snow melt in the spring. That way it would all be that much lighter to deal with.

Does green wood split easier than dry?

Any advice much appreciated.

I have recently purchased a house with a few acres of woodland attached, birch, rowan, willow and some planted spruce. Most of the stuff is smallish (I am at 67N!) I am pondering the best plan for getting fuel in for winter 09/10.

If a tree is felled and left lying with leaves on I assume that the leaves will accelerate the drying process - true?

No, any moisture lost through the leaves ends when the leaves wilt - a few hours at most. You won't save any time by letting the log lay after falling it.

Would it be best to log, split and stack under cover before this winter, or leave everything lying until after snow melt in the spring. That way it would all be that much lighter to deal with.

Don't leave logs laying very long and definitly not overwinter. Get it split/stacked and covered, but only on top. You need the sides exposed to allow air to move through and dry the wood.

Does green wood split easier than dry?

Depends on species. In general, I prefer splitting green. Wood also dries fastest after it has been split

Any advice much appreciated.

Harry K

OK - thanks guys, I will set about it - at an appropriate pace of course.

Back