Best Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've probably used them all at one time or another over the years. Even used to buy the old Zip Penn ( now Cutters Choice). Good price, but softer than the others. Sharpens nice though. Stihl, like has been mentioned is probably best, but since joined AS have been using Woodland Pro 30RC chisel for all my saws. Like em all really. The old Windsor chain was really good. Maybe it's me but the Oregon seems to have gone down hill some in hardness. Sharpen all my chains by hand and have an expensive Belsaw sharpener. Just prefer it for some strange reason. Part of the mystique(CAD) I guess. Main thing as has been stated "Keep Em Sharp!!!"

Stihl 33RSC is probably the best chain that I have used.

Carlton RC30 that is sold by Bailey's as Woodland Pro,did I get that right?, is very close to the Stihl chain in my estimation, and the Carlton costs less.

For some reason I have never had good luck with Oregon chain.

I run Woodland Pro .365 LP on the 339 XP and that is the best cutting chain for that size that I have ever used.

I also run .325 Woodland Pro on the 346 XP with good results.

Bottom line Stihl or Carlton is my pick.

1. Stihl chain, and I don't have a Stihl chainsaw.
2. Windsor
3. Oregon or Carlton

Carlton makes Woodland Pro. "Chain manufactured in the U.S.A. by Carlton. ", Baileys.

Years ago, I didn't keep my chains sharp enough and I was stretching the chains. The Oregon stretched and dulled the quickest, Windsor was good, and Stihl was the strongest. I guess the larger diameter holes in the links and chisels helped decrease the stretch. Also, the chain was harder. I still like Windsor but I have just as many Oregon, Carlton, and Woodland Pro.

What about Sandvik chain. Anybody know anything?

From its modest beginnings in Cancouver, BC in 1948, Windsor Machine Limited has grown to be one of the largest saw chain and bar manufactyurers for chainsaw and mechanical timber-lharvesting equipment in the industry.

It was Windsor's innovative engineers who, more than 30 years ago, developed the original professional "Speed Tip" sprocket nose guide bar. The Speed Tip was recognized in the 70s as the standard of the industry.

Adding saw chain to their product line in 1970, Windsor gained an enviable position in after market sales; supplying a full line of saw chains, guide bars, sprockets and accessories for all makes and models of chainsaws to the replacement market.

In 1986, Sandvik Saws & Tools acquired Windsor Machine Limited. The two companies combined their expertise under one name, Sandvik-Windsor. Over the course of many years, Sandvik-Windsor has supplied some of the major chainsaw manufacturers as original equipment.

In October 2000, Sandvik-Windsor was acquired by Blount International Inc. and became Windsor Forestry Tools, LLC. Windsor now markets its products through a network of independent distributors in over 80 countries.

from Woodland International, Inc

Good info. Thanks. I got some good Windsor, Sandvik, and Carlton chains given to me. I'm sorting thru them, most of them are in great shape. K1, A36, on the drivers, 3/8-063 x 72DL is most of it. Some may be .325. Over 100 chains in all. Are the pins/connector links all the same size? In other words, if I want to make different lengths, should I order brand-specific links?

Good info. Thanks. I got some good Windsor, Sandvik, and Carlton chains given to me. I'm sorting thru them, most of them are in great shape. K1, A36, on the drivers, 3/8-063 x 72DL is most of it. Some may be .325. Over 100 chains in all. Are the pins/connector links all the same size? In other words, if I want to make different lengths, should I order brand-specific links?

Be careful with the connector size. I ran into Homelite chain the other day that had different links than Oregon even though they fit. They fit but the length was different which would screw up the drive link configuration. Use a caliper to compare your new links to ones you punch out. If the side straps from the chain go on the new preset, you're probably ok. Also, make sure the thickness of the link will work, .050, .058, .063.

any of the yellow label stihls should be good for most jobs ,yellow availible in round and square cutters

Yellow Label Stihl Chain

any of the yellow label stihls should be good for most jobs ,yellow availible in round and square cutters

We've tried several different brands and types of chain, and I'd have to agree with trx250r180 here. Yellow label Stihl brand chain is the most durable chain we've used to date.

Specifically, I'd recommend Stihl 33RSC (yellow label) chains for the larger saws -- especially in the dirty conditions we often find ourselves in. Oregon's 91VXL works fairly well on our small saws (MS 200Ts), but I'd still say that Stihl's 63PM (picco micro) is more durable, if you can still find it around.

Yes, the Stihl chain generally cost more, but it comes down to overall cost for us -- and down time (chain maintenance) is money.

Good Luck to you,
Hand Logger

I've used stihl, oregon, and carlton and I would rate them as Stihl, Carlton, and Oregon as far as longevity.

Started preparing for the upcoming wood season today.last year all i used was stihl chain and had a couple of oregon as spares,having not sharpened anything but stihl for over twelve months, today i was very supprised at how soft the oregon felt compared to the stihl.
Im not saying that makes stihl chain better but its noticably harder IMO.

Gotta go with Stihl as the most durable, followed closely by the Carlton, and close enough to call it darn near even, and
Oregon is Crap IMO and I steer clear of it unless it's cheap enough to justify the irritation.

Bargain chain, and best buy, easily goes to Carlton unless you find the rare Stihl dealer that can come close to Baileys/Carlton woodland pro.

Some folks get wrapped up about vibration, and the Oregon chain is really good about that aspect, and it might be the better option for some.

Best thing to do is run a loop of each and decide yourself. If you're lucky, what fits you best will be the cheapest.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am currently using Stihl chain from my local dealer but forgot to get the part number on it so I am not for sure which version I got. But its alot more aggressive than the 33 type oregon chain as my saw catches alot more and I have to not put much pressure on the saw, just let it eat its own way thru.

I've probably used them all at one time or another over the years. Even used to buy the old Zip Penn ( now Cutters Choice). Good price, but softer than the others. Sharpens nice though. Stihl, like has been mentioned is probably best, but since joined AS have been using Woodland Pro 30RC chisel for all my saws. Like em all really. The old Windsor chain was really good. Maybe it's me but the Oregon seems to have gone down hill some in hardness. Sharpen all my chains by hand and have an expensive Belsaw sharpener. Just prefer it for some strange reason. Part of the mystique(CAD) I guess. Main thing as has been stated "Keep Em Sharp!!!"

+1 on the Woodland Pro 30RC being the best value for a real good chain. Just ordered 10 loops of 24" yesterday from Baileys. When you buy 10 or more at a time you get $2. off per loop, plus Baileys is having a 10% off sale until Feb 12, so each loop cost about $16.50 including shipping. Tough to beat.

Back