Best saw for wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huskys, Jonsereds and Dolmars have a lot less vibes in the 50 cc class......:)

Originally he (Spotted Owl) had mentioned "Stihl preferably Husky second." So I gave my .02 cents on the 260. Haven't run any other 50cc class saw, and from what I've learned here, some folks really like that 5100s.

Kevin

Last edited:
Always marry a big woman. Then she can run the 880 magnum while you lean on an axe and watch the fun.

*401 Dolmar seems to be a real easy saw to run and start with the compression release and the 8.8 lb weight. Also, enough power to pull an 18" bar even though they only offer the 16" as the largest.

Would any other 50cc class saw outlast the 260?

That's why I would pick the Stihl.

X3

It is actually a little bigger than I would buy for MY wife. Women do not need to be running big saws. I'd pick a 30cc saw. Although I like my 260.

Depends you got big wood fallin or just debris?

id say a nice lil climbing saw for small debris like stihl ms200,ms192 echo 360.

if yer gonna need somethin bigger go for a stihl for sure.

not to downplay em but in my experiences ive had nothin but trouble with just about every husky ive ran.Thats why i run stihl and echo.:hmm3grin2orange:

My girlfriend runs the 044 most of the time, sometimes the 460. But she's tough. Actually likes the 32" bar better than a 28. She isn't too weak though.

Would any other 50cc class saw outlast the 260?

That's why I would pick the Stihl.

Why shouldn't they? 346, 353 or J-red 2152. J-red has the best cylinder cooling IMO (plastics not so close to the cylinder) which should spare the saw. Also, that Stihl air filter full of dirt will not be the best for the saw.
The MS260 is an obsolete design compared to 50cc Huskys / J-reds.

Personally I have cut 3 times so many cords of wood with my 262XP than with my 026. The Husky hasn't lost compression yet while the Stihl has.
Stihl makes very good and durable saws, no question about it. But I think Huskys have at least the same durability. Before they are worn out, you have bought 10 new anyway. Not to mention my 2 Husky clearing saws 244rx from the middle eighties running almost every 2 days. Totally, and I mean totally, impossible to kill! ;)

/Peter

Thanks folks.

This weekend we will head down to the saw shop and look around. Sounds like the 200 and the 260 get the bulk of the Stihl nodd here. We will look closely at those two. If she doesn't like either of them or anything else in orange and white then we will head to the neighbor town and check out the smaller saws at the Husky shop there.

Nobody is allowed to cut alone under any circumstance or with out chaps, gloves, muffs and glasses not even me(lead by example). Even have to be wearin corks(everyone has a pair) if it's icey out, no slippin on ice when you have a runnin saw in your hands, right now we still have 2-3 inches of ice on the ground. We're in a small bowel and that traps the cold and exagerates(sp) any weather that we get hasn't been above 29 degrees since the 7th.

This is mostly debris clean up until I can get home. Small stuff up to about 24" just to clear fence to keep animals in and to keep the drive and road clear should she need to get out. The bigger stuff has to wait until I can get home. The first wind spit brought down a 64" fir still working on that one.

We'll get the update out as soon as we have something.

In the mean time please keep sending your opinions on what saw you think would be best.

Thanks

Owl

Before you buy anything, id suggest that you let your wifey try out all saws, stihls, huskies and jonsereds, even if the first one feels good... just for comparison...

But im confident that you two will end up with a good saw...

This is mostly debris clean up until I can get home. Small stuff up to about 24"

better get 2 saws...

prolly like a boxstore echo 440 and a nice lil stihl,say 192.(get the 16"bar)
'

better get a 460 or better for the 60" plus but the echo440 should handle it with a 20"bar just cut slower.

both fire nice an easy..just depends on whether you wanna annialate the wood or just get thru it...

IMO i would get a 440 echo n a smaller limb saw.

Your wife is 5 foot even. An 034 is too much for her. Bless her heart.

Now figure in the classic AS...... "OVER RECOMMENDATION". A 357, a 5100 ( 14500 rpm), 346XP, and a 440!

Horrible advice!!:mad:

Try a ~40 cc saw for her. Let her limb while you work the larger stuff. If, in time, she wants a larger saw let it be determined by her acquired and proven skills with a saw!

Stihl 361

Comparing to the 034, I would look into the MS361. Light, powerful, quiet and smooth. Plus, it's in your "pro saw" category.
Put a 18" or 20" max, bar on it and she'll love running it. And it will last forever
If she doesn't like the color?
Buy some pin striping or some fancy flower stickers to put on the saw:hmm3grin2orange:

Took a while to get done, but Mrs. decided on the 260. She is happy now that she has something that she isn't afraid of. To me it ranks awful close to the 034. I guess nice a shiney is good it's hers and I'm sure that helps too. She kinda likes that little black button on top.

Thanks AS

Owl

I vote for the Stihl 260 because it is light and powerful. If you need a little more on it you can always use a larger sprocket. Good to see more and more women runnin saws.

Took a while to get done, but Mrs. decided on the 260. She is happy now that she has something that she isn't afraid of. To me it ranks awful close to the 034. I guess nice a shiney is good it's hers and I'm sure that helps too. She kinda likes that little black button on top.

Thanks AS

Owl

Excellent choice you'll oops I mean she'll love the MS260 it's a "classic":D

The G/F used the 5100 once a couple weeks back. It was the biggest saw she had ever used. She had used here dad's Craftsman 40cc saws before though. She liked it, but she only ran it a couple of hours. I'm sure it would have wore her out if she would have had to use it for more than a few hours. After all, she is a hundred pounds soaking wet.....

Thanks AS

Owl

Good choise, but I would have opted for a 346xp, or maybe a 353.

Much better anti-vibe and air filter system, but I like the 260 anyway..........

Thanks AS

Owl

I was going to add that my wife started out using a 026 before I let her graduate to the 440...It's a different case with her though...She's 5'11 and 150 pounds and very strong fer her size..She can handle a 395 or 660,but she's a little too intimidated by them

Latest posts

Back