Best saw period

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decisions, Decisions...

I'm Still partial to the 372, but I have to agree with a few others on here
that my new 562 wearing a 20" Techlite is a very close second.

This another one of these threads where everybody espouses their favorite saw. Some will argue for the most versatile saw, others will go for the most durable, on and on it goes...

The true test of what saw is "best ever" would be whichever saw so dominates it's niche in the market that there are no other competitors that come close. If you like a Stihl 090, then someone else will argue that a 3120xp is as good. If you like a 272xp, someone else will tell you to get a ...whatever.

There is only one saw that seems to completely dominate it's niche: Stihl MS200t, or any of it's similar predecessors. Some folks will argue that some other top handled saw is as good, others don't like it's balance or boxy shape, but I have never heard a convincing argument that it is not the best of it's kind. The fact that it is the most preferred saw used by climbing professionals says it all.

By the way: it is ridiculous to keep offering up as "the best saw" something that is sporting a bunch of aftermarket modifications. All the talk about porting (and other mods) instantly makes a machine "one of a kind", and unworthy of consideration in this thread.

200T no question. There's a comparison to any other great saw; 372 vs 440, 394 vs 660 etc... and most of them come down to personal preference. They're pretty close. When it comes to most saws in the 'pro class' I'm not that fussed. I'm a stihl man but I'd run a 346xp any day of the week and not grumble a minute. But 200T vs... what? There's only one! And now there's none.

Shaun

You know you beat me to it. I couldn't rep you, but you did call it first.

This another one of these threads where everybody espouses their favorite saw. Some will argue for the most versatile saw, others will go for the most durable, on and on it goes...

The true test of what saw is "best ever" would be whichever saw so dominates it's niche in the market that there are no other competitors that come close. If you like a Stihl 090, then someone else will argue that a 3120xp is as good. If you like a 272xp, someone else will tell you to get a ...whatever.

There is only one saw that seems to completely dominate it's niche: Stihl MS200t, or any of it's similar predecessors. Some folks will argue that some other top handled saw is as good, others don't like it's balance or boxy shape, but I have never heard a convincing argument that it is not the best of it's kind. The fact that it is the most preferred saw used by climbing professionals says it all.

By the way: it is ridiculous to keep offering up as "the best saw" something that is sporting a bunch of aftermarket modifications. All the talk about porting (and other mods) instantly makes a machine "one of a kind", and unworthy of consideration in this thread.

The thing that keeps it entirely out of contention is its singularity of purpose!
It is a great limber...............but that's all.

Mike

This is a no brainer.....McCulloch -10 series saws. Or if you want one model, its the 10-10. Made for over 30 years. Not sure how many red and orange saws have the same model saw in production for even 20 years, let alone 3 decades plus. And many a thousand yellow saws still out there running away, even today, 13 years since they were sold off......

bob

This is a no brainer.....McCulloch -10 series saws. Or if you want one model, its the 10-10. Made for over 30 years. ...
The first saw I ever bought was a 10-10s, back in 1984. I never knew what a fine saw I bought until maybe 15 years later. I think the second new saw that I bought was a Husqy 3120, but I knew what I was buying by then.

Needless to say, I get most of my saws used.

Back