Best setup for workbench (chainsaw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lorax

The Lorax

ArboristSite Guru
I have just built a workbench it is 8' x 4' mostly because I wanted a wide bench that could take larger items without hitting off the back wall.
I do know that if I made it narrower it would be a lot easier to get to the back wall for tool storage but I have it made now and I am not changing it.
But what I would like is ideas on how to organise the bench for storing tools and access to them, Do people prefer to have cupboards above the bench at a certain height?
Is pegboard the best way to hang tools?
I am throwing this out mostly because I saw a photo of Lakesides bench and it got me thinking that pretty much anyone who can pull a saw apart must have a pretty good idea of what they would like in a workbench.
Maybe like me you are not only pulling small engines to bit but also possibly dirtbike swingarms and other small mechanical items.
So what would you do to a workbench?

rxe

ArboristSite Guru
Outside of a proper "shop" I'd be inclined to have all of my tools in a cabinet that I can lock. I have a "chainsaw" draw in my roll-cab at the moment, everything goes in there, and I know exactly where it is. I am a bit pressed for space at the moment, and walls have shelves, not pegboards.

We are moving to a new house (soon....) that has a bunch of workshops, so I will be able to create a 2-stroke heaven. I'm thinking of a big workbench - as long as possible. This will mean that I can bolt the sharpener down to the bench and leave it there (zero set up time). I'll probably put a second hand cab with draws on one end of the bench for tools.

I'll read this thread with interest - it will no doubt give me some good ideas. I'll be milling the wood for the workbench (oak....) in the next few weeks.

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have pegboard walls behind my workbench but it's more for odds and ends then tools. All my tools go into my rollaway. (peg board wouldn't hold 5% of my tools).

If your workbench is 48" deep then having cabinets above the workbench will be a PIA for access. Add some drawers right below the top surface of your workbench for additional storage since it's waisted space. Make sure your workbench has a bottom shelf for additional storage.

The sides of my workbench have pegboard panels for hanging things like long pipe wrenches, clamps, etc.

My workbench top is 1/4" masonite bonded to 3/4" MDF and it's supported by 4X4 rails/posts and 2X4 cross members every 16". If a workbench can't support an engine block then it isn't much good.

Right now I want to replace the top protective surface of my workbench. I had a large sheet of anti static rubber mat but over the years it's puckered in places and won't lay flat. I'm leaning towards using this stuff:

http://flexitile.com/flexitile-commercial-domestic-rigid-product.php

I want something that's protective, chemical resistant, easy to clean, not slippery, not conductive.

bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
How tall is your workbench? Since you made it 4' wide I would set back some built in cabinets underneath your bench for tool storage. I have these on my homemade bench and they are a good use of the space.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
My workbench is 8'x3'. It is made heavy duty with all steel construction and there is a piece of 1/8" welded on the back to act as a back stop or weld catcher. It will hold a small block without bending or bowing. lol

I have a couple plastic assortment bins with various chainsaw parts. (the one piece plastic cabinet with the small pull out drawers. These are at the back of the bench. I also have some of those plastic stackable bins that have the bigger parts in them. They are also at the back. On the far left side I have a little tool chest, that is approx 12" deep, 12" tall, and 6-8 wide. It was meant to be an accessory cabinet to a tool box. It has six drawers that are about 1" to 1 1/2" deep and works great for all the chain saw tools, gaskets, decals, receipts, spark plugs, etc.

I have a regular vise mounted on the far right side, and is where I do most of my sharpening. I made a mount for my spinner and breaker that will fit in the vise when I need them.

The is a shelf below the work bench top that is the almost the full depth, but maybe 6-8" less, so that when I sit on the stool, it isn't in the way.

I built steel racks that go from the ground, to basically the ceiling in my pole barn. The workbench actually sits under the shelf, but the shelf is only 16" deep. On the first shelf above the work bench, I keep the reel of chain, a couple bigger plastic bins that have pre made loops, larger saw parts, etc.

I have my big tool box on the left side of the work bench so there is easy access to tools should I be working on something like, a mustang or something. Should probably clean it off and take acouple pics. It is a good setup for me, but everyone will be differant in the amount of space they have, and their preferences.

Last edited:
wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've a 4x8 bench also, but its on wheels,(rubber coated castors,bearings, over the top heavy duty, but they were free), gives me more options.

Underneath it though, to have easy access from the one side I typically work from, is pull out storage on rails, best way to describe it would be, take a drawer out of a cabinet, and turn it on its side, put another one on its side and have the two bottom to bottom as it were ][, with full length slides, you can pull out and see from one side or the other.

I had a deep workbench with pegboard against the back once, ain't doing that again, but it did have its uses.

All my tools though are in a roller box, chainsaw specific are in own drawer. Bench tools such as grinders, are mounted to plates, that can be clamped to the bench when needed, then put on a shelf for storage, .
Handy electical outlets under the lip, two 20 amp circuits spread out, not a fan of cords running across the bench top to an outlet on the wall.

Good lighting overhead, and adjustable lighting that you don't have to hold, something with a flexible neck, to pinpoint the light depending on what you are doing.

Last edited:
The Lorax

The Lorax

ArboristSite Guru
I must have some sort of early onset ****-fer-brains disease!
I just went out to the shed and measured the bench again and the dimensions in feet are 3' w x 8' l x 3' 2" high.
I have 6 legs made from planed 6x2 and the bench is made from 4"x2" overlaid with 3/4 ply and a sheet of 1/4" hardboard to give a nice flat replaceable surface.
I have half the top covered in a ribbed rubber matting to stop round stuff rolling off.
4" vice on the LH corner and a shelf covers half the bottom this is where my power tools are at the moment.
The back of the bench is currently the wall of the shed which is 3/4 ply and this is what I need to develop as a storage space whether it is pegboard for commonly used tools or something else.
I like the idea of having some sockets on the front of the bench, so that cords aren't crossing the bench.
Lighting is another thing that I am very concious of and I have toyed with the idea of an anglepoise type lamp mounted on the back wall or perhaps above the bench.