best splitting maul with hickory handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44856

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a few weeks, and am looking for a good splitting maul with hickory handle. So far I've been using two wedges and two sledges but am looking to split more wood for next winter. There sure are a large variety of mauls! I'd rather not use fiberglass as I got a hoe with a fiberglass handle, and the shards kept getting sluck in my hands, even with gloves, which made the hoe worthless.

I'm tending to the truper 6lb, as it has a good price, and would sharpen it before using.

What splitting maul with hickory handle do you like? And what is your favorite way of keeping it sharp?

Well, for me it would be my 6lb with axe eye handle & I never sharpen it. In fact, it has some rough edges from cutting roots among rocks. It splits just fine. I think cold weather splitting is best, when the wood is frozen. I bought it at a True value store, about 15 years ago, I do not remember the brand.

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks, and am looking for a good splitting maul with hickory handle. So far I've been using two wedges and two sledges but am looking to split more wood for next winter. There sure are a large variety of mauls! I'd rather not use fiberglass as I got a hoe with a fiberglass handle, and the shards kept getting sluck in my hands, even with gloves, which made the hoe worthless.

I'm tending to the truper 6lb, as it has a good price, and would sharpen it before using.

What splitting maul with hickory handle do you like? And what is your favorite way of keeping it sharp?

that sounds exactly like the ending to one of my uncles stories...... kinda different aspect though... haha

in all seriousness, if the handle of that hoe was doing that, something was wrong... I have both a single-blade 3lb axe and a 10lb sledge that have fiberglass handles and I love them. never had a problem with the handles coming apart or splintering.

I don't know what kind of handle you had that gave you fiberglass splinters. I have had them from driveway marker sticks buy not a maul handle. Here is my Collins 6#. This thing is awesome. Greatest $15 I have ever spent.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Torin, I just realized the Truper has an axe eye and I'd rather get a sledge handle, as they are said to be stronger and easier to replace. Getting 15 years like you have would be great though. I would be well satisfied with that type of result.

Cableguy, yes there must have been something wrong with the handle. I found a link that says the fiberglass can be painted with epoxy or a plastic plant and might try that on the hoe. Good joke btw. Harborfreight has a 6lb maul except the store here only has 12lb, which is way too heavy for me.

Milkman, I value my feet and legs way too much to ever get a fiskars. It makes me cringe to even think about that, yikes.

Woodcutter, those are nice photos. I will consider the Collins 6#. Do you sharpen the blade?

Woodcutter, those are nice photos. I will consider the Collins 6#. Do you sharpen the blade?

I have never sharpened it. It has a real nice edge. Its sharp enough to split but blunt enough that it doesn't stick if the log fails to split. After a few whiffs, and swing and a miss, I am grateful for the fiberglass handle. I think a hickory would have broken off.

Here is a picture of the pile I'm working on for next year, as well as some pics of the maul. Hopefully the edge shows with th nicks in it. I do not ever remember sharpening it. I do remember years ago using one with the sledge eye & thought it broke awfully easy when you miss hit.

Evidently I've forgotten how to put the pictures inline.

Last edited:
Woodcutter, where did you find the collins 6# for $15?

Torin, thanks for the photos and info.

I don't know what kind of handle you had that gave you fiberglass splinters. I have had them from driveway marker sticks buy not a maul handle. Here is my Collins 6#. This thing is awesome. Greatest $15 I have ever spent.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Those Collins 6# mauls are about as good as it gets for splitting wood, along with the Garant Grizzly. Although the hickory handles are nice, a fibreglass handle will outlast at least 2 dozen wooden handles.
Gypo

Woodcutter, where did you find the collins 6# for $15?

Torin, thanks for the photos and info.

I got mine at an Ace Hardware. I was looking for the infamous Fiskars Super Splitter but stumbled across this. They were having a pre Christmas sale and I had a 50% off coupon. It lists for $30...to be honest I would have paid that much for it if I knew then how great this thing works.

I think the Fiberglass handle is not only better for a "whiff" but also its easier on your joints as the handle flex's on impact. This has to be easier on your elbows and wrists more so than a wood handle. Nothing slows down your wood splitting faster than a bad case of firewood elbow.

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Apparently the fiberglass handles have a thick polyurethane coating.
Maybe I can find a similar coating for the hoe.

Here is the availability of 6# mauls that I've found with fiberglass handles.
Harborfreight $20 - out of stock.
Tru Value $35 - out of stock
Home Depot $30 - Ludell (one in stock)
Walmart - True temper with red handle - don't recall the price
Northern Tool - $20+shipping - Truper

A.M. Leonard has an Oregon Maul with hickory handle
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=3606

Last edited:
i like the wood handles myself.

it just feels right in the hand. guns should have wood stocks just like axes and mauls should have wood handles.

i have the maul from Stihl.it's made in Germany.the price seems to go up every time i see one.i paid $50 a couple years ago.the price seems to scare a lot of folks away.

Last edited:
Wood handles feel better to me, and with a little care will last many years. You just have to get the sites adjusted:greenchainsaw:. You can also fiberglass on a metal guard strip forged to match the curve of the handle just at the typical strike point about 2-3" down from the maul or ax head.

If you get glass splinters from an early glass handle, just coat the handle with 2 part epoxy resin thickened with talc and put it somewhere warm to cure. This works great on on all types of rough old wood handles. A little fiberglass cloth over the epoxy will fix any handle with a structural crack, and when cured cover the glass with another thin coat of epoxy. This stuff really increases the durability of wood handles, and it also absorbs energy to spare your hands. You can use poly visqueen wrapped around the wet epoxy to help form it smooth; it comes right off when cured. Also, smooth the epoxy it with a wood rasp before fully cured, saves labor.

Another thing: when re-heading an axe, form a shoulder then draw the handle down to form a loose fit with 3/32 to 1/8" clearance all around, then apply Sikaflex construction sealant (polyurethane) to fill the void between handle and head (the big boxes sell this nowadays). Neatness don't count, just wear vinyl gloves and leave no gaps. Check for square in two axes (the other kind) and leave to cure for 3 days (a week in winter). Use a wire wheel to clean up the excess sealant from handle and head, then drive a steel wedge or two in the head and seal entire handle with good varnish or better yet your favorite 2-part epoxy (lasts much longer). The polyurethane is great adhesive, compresses as the wood expands/contracts in winter/summer, and this saves the wood cellulose from crushing in winter, so the handle should never loosen up, knock on wood. It also absorbs energy, sparing your hands. An 8 lb maul I've got with a hickory handle is still tight after 6 years outside.

Back