Best Starter Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I could quite live with myself if my child got hurt running a saw especially at such a young age.
My oldest (6yr) doesn't like noisy things so I think I'm safe with him for now.
My youngest (1yr) loves the sound of ANY internal combustion engine. He's the one I'm worried about at this point.

Or SVK just buy 'em a NOS Husky 2100 for the win! Once they're big enough to heft it and strong enough to start it, they should be about ready to learn... LOL
Lol. Everything is different through the eyes of a parent.
I look at my kids and I find it hard to believe that I was out in the woods hunting alone with a loaded gun when I was 9. Sorry but I'm just not ready to let them do that yet.

Local pawn shop has a clean 2015 model year 435 for $170. I offered him 100 but he wouldn't budge. He probably has 25-30 bucks into the saw but those guys are always looking for big profits.

Another shop had two 4o cc echos but they also wanted blood for them.

Sorry HuskStihl, no pass on the PPE when it comes to young kids!

i agree but at the same time i didn't even get PPE til i was 17 or so and i started cutting younger then that kid. i have respect for parents who get their kids doing **** at a young age. i had to grow up young and it was sure cool to know and be comfortable using saws while all my friends were nervous to all hell. nothing worse then the kids these days still on the teet at 18 and it's happening more and more it seems.

Good starter saw for a kid? I'd say a little poulan wild thing, you could teach em a little about easy maintenance too

For an 8-10 yo, I'd vote none. Sorry to be that guy.

I was shooting a 16g shotgun at 11 yo. I think it was safer than a saw, at least for the user.

I used to hunt in Trout Creek NY. One of the farmers daughter's up there caught a chainsaw kickback in the carotid at about age 14. We found out when we asked his wife how many children she had. She replied "I got 6 left". The story ensued afterwards.

There's a time and place to grow up and use big boy toys for everyone. I'd rather have my kids humping wood around and stacking it than using a dangerous tool. I know, I'm a wimp.

@svk ;
Each one (kid) is different.
I purchased my first new saw at 13, had been running repaired saws for a few years by then.

My 13 year old aint ready to run a saw yet,
but he is going to tear it down and build it a dozen or two times and be able to start and run it before he can use it.

I vote mini for a learner.
Start with a 10 inch bar and a freshly sharpened clapped out semi chain.

Attachments

• Mac 120.jpg
    Mac 120.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
fb64d50190bb61f4314d5581cf2f978b.jpg
Start them big. Lol

For an 8-10 yo, I'd vote none. Sorry to be that guy.

I was shooting a 16g shotgun at 11 yo. I think it was safer than a saw, at least for the user.

I used to hunt in Trout Creek NY. One of the farmers daughter's up there caught a chainsaw kickback in the carotid at about age 14. We found out when we asked his wife how many children she had. She replied "I got 6 left". The story ensued afterwards.

There's a time and place to grow up and use big boy toys for everyone. I'd rather have my kids humping wood around and stacking it than using a dangerous tool. I know, I'm a wimp.

Funny,
I would never touch a saw until I was about 35. When I was a kid(9 or so) a friends dad (who was my Little League baseball coach and a Police Officer) nearly cut his shoulder and chest off. That was my first impression of "chainsaws"- do not ever use one, do not own one. let the professionals use them. Pay the Pros as its not worth the risk.

Then I got married and had kids and found out what the meaning of FEAR really is...

In my early days ,work was a necessity to survive. When things like cutting wood, getting the hay in, clearing land, building fencing , cutting logs and then sawing them into lumber all was done so we could make it from one season to the next. All the kids around me learned to work at an early age and how + what tools and machinery to be careful around. This is not the case so much today.

I'm in the camp of the Stihl MS170/MS180. Those saws are light and easy to handle and still cut pretty quickly. As far as age to run a saw, that's a parental decision and fully depends on the kid.
My boys both ran saws at a pretty young age. My youngest son drove my 1963 Falcon and 1965 Mustang to high school on a regular basis. I never would have let him if I was concerned about how he would use them. Both of my boys had their own saws while still teens. One had an Echo CS4400 and the other a Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I think providing kids with their own equipment teaches responsibility. If they leave it out in the rain, it's their stuff they left out in the rain and less likely to happen.
The memories made doing stuff with your children will last a lifetime (for you and them) so don't fail to take advantage of those opportunities. There always has to be a balance between safety and not letting your kids do anything besides computer games. One of the challenges of parenting is making those kinds of decisions.

Can only speak from experience, but that little CS370 like I've got would be a good saw to start with. Not too heavy, cranks easy within two/three pulls, not a speed demon but cuts well. There's many small saws out there that'll suffice though.

I didn't ever use a saw until I was 25-26. First saw was a poulan very close to a wild thing. Sold that real quick and got an ms290. Sold that and got a 460-660. Needless to say I am extremely dangerous with a saw. Never learning proper usage shows when i cut. I'm learning to be more mindful of the top of the bar at all times as I've had several kickbacks when rushing. None too bad yet but enough to set off the chain break. I'm not a parent YET. I think the biggest part of it is teaching safe usage. An how to react in emergencies. I never learned that. My father in law tries to teach me. But for someone that has been cutting for 30 years and knows everything about felling I sure thought it was funny how he got three trees stuck into each other trying to drop one. Then follows that by falling a tree in the opposite direction he had planned.

Regards-Carlo

I agree with the wait till they are older opinion, when they have the strength to protect themselves from an unexpected event, which will eventually happen.

There are other tools they can use, and other tasks they can do, when younger.

I just picked up an Efco MT3500 at Menards over the weekend. They're clearing them out because they are no longer carrying them. It was the last of the Efcos they had, and was marked $159, but I told the manager I'd give him $125, and he said OK. I can't imagine you could find a better brand new saw with a 5 year warranty for that money anywhere else. I had a chance to use it twice already, and I like it. It's a nice little saw.

All of those boys should be able to handle a hatchet at the very least. I was always chopping kindling for camping and loved it. At 8 years old we were required to in cub scouts but I did before that. The 11 year old should be handy with junior or boys axe at his age and even a 10 year old should have that down. Then let them use hand saw so they can appreciate the powersaw, then it will not be as likely for them to be careless and lose the priviledge of using it

Latest posts

Back