Best Starter Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's all about where that kid was at, what he was taught, and when. i know some 10 year olds that would make you **** a brick.i also know some 50 year olds that would scare the **** out of you like they could die at any second. recently we did a huge clean up at at the local golf course. a company hired on as well as us was called "davey tree". the owner had a 12 year old son that could climb very well with a 201t. about 99% better then me actually LOL. i can manage a tree no problem from the stump but climbing is another story. that kid really made me want to learn more about climbing though.

There's a lot of physical maturation that usually happens between ages 10 & 12. I did not use a chainsaw until I was 14, but my dad never had a baby saw. Our small saw was a Husqvarna 55. With an 18" bar. The big saw a 288, followed by a Stihl 046, and they ran 28" bars. Cutting hard woods like Hickory, Maple, Locust, Osage Orange with full comp (we didn't know what skip chain was, despite Dad working on the west coast for 12 years) it was about all they wanted.

I would let a fairly mature 13 year old use a baby saw with an adult around-but no way on a 10 year old.

2 years olds like 550's
5d8275e030c7cfa16a8688af57e92e15.jpg

This picture isn't as clear as yours, but it still makes me smile...
Andis 346xp.jpg
This was a few years ago, She was helping "Papa" (my Father) out. She is still my cutting buddy along with her younger Brother...

Not for nothing, but just thought I'd share.
When I was 5 my dad gave me some cute little tie pins, one was a little saw. I "tested" to see if it would cut wood on my new dresser. Yep! There are still 5 little lines on the bottom of that dresser to this day at my parent's house. Another tie pin was a little file. I "tested" that one on my front tooth.
My dad gave me a pocket knife (Swiss army) for my birthday when I was 10. Next day while sharpening a stick into a spear I sliced my finger open. First thought was "oh no, dad will take my knife away." Ran to the house and got a bandaid and dressed my wound.
When I was 13 he bought me a skateboard (and later rollerblades), and sent us out to the cement section of the park to entertain ourselves. I had to ASK for a helmet and knee/elbow pads.
At 15 or so he actually gave me some good lessons on riding a dirt bike that we bought locally.

Point being, there are all kinds of dangers you give your children without thinking about it. Proper instruction/warning/oversight/protective gear is often overlooked.

Anyway, he didn't let me start cutting until I was probably 14. This was what he had and gave me to learn on.
8c5b60b28bc3e650b1cf3afa755f4724.jpg

60dc81cce92df50514d07e9969af5492.jpg

Homelite 150 Auto
43cc, 9lb 4oz., 16" bar
It screamed at about 10,500 no load and 7k in a cut. One of the first jobs he asked me to do was to climb up into a tree and cut out a dead branch. I remember telling him "dad, I think it's going to fall into me" and him saying no you'll be fine... Then he started agreeing with me and told me to stop cutting. Lol.

A agree.. For many of us growing up (myself included), PPE was not part of the program when being introduced to new things.

My Dad never wore PPE when running a saw, and neither did I, even as I was learning. We had ATV's and snowmobiles as I was growing up. Us kids were never forced to wear helmets, but had some strict rules about speed and "hot-doggin" and if caught getting out of hand we were grounded from those toys.If course when out of sight and earshot of the old man, we cut loose..as any kid will do.

It was a different time then. Highway snowmobile crossing signs depicted a man on a sled with a hat on as opposed to the helmet shown on newer signs today. The only people who wore helmets on bicycles were road and BMX racers.

Now that part of my job includes working with saws I am required to wear proper PPE, and all of it. I have also bought my own PPE for when I work with saws at home and I do wear it 100% of the time with the exception that I do not wear the forestry hardhat when bucking wood that's already down. But I still wear safety glasses and hearing protection instead. I wear a helmet when I ride my fast 3-wheelers, and my kids wear a helmet 100% of the time they are riding theirs. When I ride my slow wheelers in the back 40, we are talking Farmall A in 2nd gear speeds here.

The point is that today we are generally more safety minded than we were back yesteryear. My son will be wearing chaps, eye protection, hearing protection and gloves the first time I put a saw in his hands and every time thereafter. I figure it's best that he learn that PPE is simply part of the job from day 1 than to grow up and possibly have an injury be the cause to start using it. I was fortunate to not have any injuries from lack of a helmet when riding, or PPE when running a saw. But I did have my share of close calls over the years. Accidents happen to the most seasoned veterans every day, on the job or at home. It's just not a risk worth taking with my kids' lives or mine in my opinion....

I used a poulan micro xxv at about 11/12, next was one grandfathers Stihl 08S at about 16 and the other one had the 026 I now call mine after that.
And 3yr ago I bought my new 660 as a all round saw for the hardwood

That's a little too much scratch and honestly too much saw IMO for kids. Northern Tool sells refurb 435's for around 200 and they go for less used.

Back