Best starting saw of all time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my jonsered 2055 95% of the times starts first pull cold , have about 30 saws mostly husky , jred, couple stihl, and dolmar , the 2055 always amazes me most

i would say the best starting saw i have is the echo 590. i can't say for sure it is the best starting of all time as it is still newish.

though the o44 and the ms440s ain't far behind if you burp the fuel tank before starting.

the shindaiwa 575 was a great starting saw as well.

i don't recall any chronic starting problems with the husky 372s, 77s, 65s , 288s,181s or jonesred 630,670,920 & 930 or stihl 041 supers.

it is more easy to remember the ones that were stubborn and fickle about starting than the ones that all ways start.

generally if i have a pro saw that is having a lot of starting problems , i start looking to repair it cause it probably has either a fuel or spark problem. i have run across very few makes that were hard to start when they were not broke in some way.

Clean filters, fresh gas and properly gapped plug and any of them should be easy to start

why is that? I got 3 of them , well 2 1/2 anyway. 025 starts great, 2 ms250's that start just.......OK @ 4-5 pulls or so
Mine floods really easy, especially when hot. The dealer tells me I don't know how to start a stihl product. in other words he don't know whats wrong with it. I also have seven other stihl products I never have trouble starting. You literally have to take the plug out and shake the gas out of the cylinder. It's been like that since new. Took it back to dealer twice, same results, it's my fault.

Oh come on:D

That is an incredible intriguing device, care to explain to my young self how it works? Appears that it stores energy somehow when you pull the cord and kill it. Really neat old saw. Can't imagine it isn't pretty heavy though. Has a very cool sound as well!!

Mine floods really easy, especially when hot. The dealer tells me I don't know how to start a stihl product. in other words he don't know whats wrong with it. I also have seven other stihl products I never have trouble starting. You literally have to take the plug out and shake the gas out of the cylinder. It's been like that since new. Took it back to dealer twice, same results, it's my fault.
I think you need a new dealer. Or learn to work on them yourself.

The Dolmar's PS-6400 & PS-7900 are most likely NOT the best/easiest starting saws , but once You know them they aren't that bad. :)

COLD: 3 pulls choke+half throttle - they sound off , another 2 pulls no choke but half throttle they come to life
WARM: 1 pull no choke , no half throttle

Now that I have two of these saws , PS-6400 & PS-7900 , I can confirm that they behave exactly the same!

They do not have a primer , that might be the reason why they require more pulls when cold.
The half throttle is actuated automatically with the choke lever and is reset by pushing the choke in and blipping the throttle.

Even when they are cold , once they come to life they run perfectly fine.
For comparison , my little Sachs-Dolmar 105 requires a little warm up time under choke/partial choke , otherwise she just dies when blipping/WOTing her when cold. o_O

NOTE: My big Dolmar's don't have a deco , and I like them that way! :heart:

That is an incredible intriguing device, care to explain to my young self how it works? Appears that it stores energy somehow when you pull the cord and kill it. Really neat old saw. Can't imagine it isn't pretty heavy though. Has a very cool sound as well!!
it has a 12v starter/generator under the flywheel. The starter switch/decompression/rectifier are all actuated by the red button on the handle. The 12v battery is in the case under the handle. It is comprised of 10 sub-c nicd cells. Pulling the rope out reduces wear on the rope when the engine kicks back from compression. It weighs about 16 pounds as you see it there. Not bad for 54cc!

Latest posts

Back