Best tools for moving logs when equipment cannot be used?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstamey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on what equipment is best used for moving logs. I have handtruck dolly's with the larger tires, and also a dolly made for hauling deer which work well.
I'm sure there are some better devices that can be used for manually moving logs at the jobsite. Just looking for ideas.

I'm looking for ideas on what equipment is best used for moving logs. I have handtruck dolly's with the larger tires, and also a dolly made for hauling deer which work well.
I'm sure there are some better devices that can be used for manually moving logs at the jobsite. Just looking for ideas.
Are you talking about moving (skidding) whole logs or moving cut (bucked) rounds (firewwood)?

I've had logs stacked to the top of the orange "standards" and it works great. You aren't going to pull it up hill by hand that loaded ... But it is a great way to move wood.

How far are you needing to move them? What's the terrain like? How big of rounds and what species?

How far are you needing to move them? What's the terrain like? How big of rounds and what species?
It all depends on the job. I'm looking for a more efficient way of moving logs on jobs where we cannot get equipment to. Typically from a backyard to the street. Terrain can vary.

I and a helper moved about 15 cords with a wheel barrow with a hand brake. The trees to be moved started out at 65''. I had to split the rounds with a maul and wedges down to quarters or thirds. We had to move the rounds about a hundred feet down a gentle slope. Then another 150' straight down a hill which was right next to an active road. Each wheel barrow load was close to 300 lbs. I put up a stretch of hurricane fence to ensure no chance of exposure to the road. After working out the details the whole operation went quite smooth. Thanks

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • KVID0065.mp4
    14.1 MB
It all depends on the job. I'm looking for a more efficient way of moving logs on jobs where we cannot get equipment to. Typically from a backyard to the street. Terrain can vary.
I see. Peavey/cant hook and a log dolly on flat terrain. Once you get on a hill or rough ground, there isn't really a good way without equipment. Cut it small and carry it, basically. Charge accordingly. Consider a crane if possible.

I have had good luck with a "nursery dolly" but as soon as there is a hill involved a winch is the tool of choice. I have a small gas powered one that is similar to this
https://northernwoodsmen.com/portab...Fd0f_623FKB-PNs41o6VIXr5S0N2SVVxoC-CsQAvD_BwE
combined with 300' rope, a self releasing snatch block, and a decent dolly or cart you can move just about any thing under 1500 pounds with out sweating much or tearing up yards.

gas power winch and some sort of small axle slid under one end of the logs so they roll and not slide and dig in , would be easy on the ground and the people moving the logs.
I have two winches powered by gas engines. One is set up with a splitter and the other as a donkey being strapped on to a stump. The donkey pulls about 6 to 8,000 lbs. For moving logs I built a 4 X 6' cart with four automotive wheels and no tires. I started with wheels and tires but soon decided tires were not necessary. The cart has the capacity to expand a little as the chassis is slightly bigger than 4 X 6. to steer I offset the cable a little allowing it to turn some around obstacles I can move a 4' X 20' log with no issues. I have side boards for the cart allowing it to move almost 3/4 cords. Unless the ground is very soft which is very very rare in California. The log splitter winch is fully remote controlled but have not been able to set up the donkey winch yet. The log splitter winch has 150' of 3/8'' cable. The log splitter can pull itself up pretty much any hill at any direction as the tongue wheels steer. I probably will not try to move up steep embankments as this could be a life threatening ordeal. At the moment I estimate the splitter to be able to pull up to 3,000 lbs. The splitter seems to be the most versatile tool I own. Thanks

If good anchor points can lace line from winch or truck pull and skid out.
Always give Half Hitch pre-fix before whatever Hitch so pulls straight.
Right Angle in Timber Hitch etc. can pull like trying to drag wild cat as it fights the angle of pull
>> Half Hitch pre-fix corrects to inline angle of pull to spar CoG
>> what was wildcat now just purrs along
>> note line of force more taut leaving Half Hitch than as goes around spar, as perhaps counter intuitive !
If short truck pull distance input have even used reversed 2/1 where pulley is on input truck not spar Load.
>> so pulls half as hard, 2x as far, to suit the shorter distance for truck run.
Enough power can pull several spars in series.
System of carabineers , slings, pulleys, team, communication etc. can make mind puzzle play out of hard work.
Old curved hood can make nice sled for stumps etc., or even nose for spars.

Latest posts

Back