Best tools for moving logs when equipment cannot be used?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two winches powered by gas engines. One is set up with a splitter and the other as a donkey being strapped on to a stump. The donkey pulls about 6 to 8,000 lbs. For moving logs I built a 4 X 6' cart with four automotive wheels and no tires. I started with wheels and tires but soon decided tires were not necessary. The cart has the capacity to expand a little as the chassis is slightly bigger than 4 X 6. to steer I offset the cable a little allowing it to turn some around obstacles I can move a 4' X 20' log with no issues. I have side boards for the cart allowing it to move almost 3/4 cords. Unless the ground is very soft which is very very rare in California. The log splitter winch is fully remote controlled but have not been able to set up the donkey winch yet. The log splitter winch has 150' of 3/8'' cable. The log splitter can pull itself up pretty much any hill at any direction as the tongue wheels steer. I probably will not try to move up steep embankments as this could be a life threatening ordeal. At the moment I estimate the splitter to be able to pull up to 3,000 lbs. The splitter seems to be the most versatile tool I own. Thanks
Pics?

You can move a wheelbarrow loaded full of wood up a hill with 2 guys, one push the barrow, other guy up the hill pulling on a rope tied to the barrow near the front wheel.

We did this once all day splitting wood at the bottom of a hill and carting it up and out

Also works with arbor trolly, two guys pull on the trolly, third guy up the hill pulling on the rope

The only winch that I have taken pictures of is this one as the other smaller winch has been in the constant state of pulling it apart searching for the more perfect design and function. The smaller hydraulic unit has some what I think are new unique and innovative concepts. Not sure if and when I would want to publish my design. My first gas powered unit that I first designed forty years proved to be essential for certain applications. When wood needs to be moved and terrain is too steep for a tractor or impossible to get to for other reasons then a portable winch will do it. At one point I was routinely jumping on a 1/2 cord trailer with a steerable wheel hooked into the tongue riding down a steep hill side then loading it up with the rounds and engaging the winch while riding up the hill side. Thanks

Attachments

• treework8.JPG
    treework8.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 0
  • treework9.JPG
    treework9.JPG
    536.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back