Best torque 13 lbs. or less

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdale71

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post on this site! I would very much appreciate any and all advise you folks can give me! After cutting wood with my 254 husky for last 18 years, i've decided to buy another saw. I would like more power, with a flatter torque curve, but also keep weight to 13 lbs or less! My 254 cuts real well if rpms are at max. but if rpm drops torque seem to fade fast. I have 10 acres of 12''-20'' oak, cherry, ash and elm, cutting approximately 15- 20 cords annually. Have kinda narrowed my search down to ms361 stihl, p5100s dolmar, or 359 husky. thanks for your imput curt

Welcome... If you've been lurking on this site you'll have seen a few characters.. most are kind hearted, but some love to poke fun - feel free to give back what you get, or more! One other thing ... there's a reward for the first guy that tracks down SIMON... so if you want to earn a buck (just one), find him for us!

As to your question...

Only religion separates your choices. Buy the one that has the best dealer support in your area. Me, I'll keep my 361 any day... (bit I'm not religious, not even a little bit:D )

Last edited:
At just over 13 lbs(13.2) you should consider a 365 if you like a saw with a wide torque band.

asb151 said:
At just over 13 lbs(13.2) you should consider a 365 if you like a saw with a wide torque band.

I would have to agree. I had had two of these for the past 5-6 years now. They are great firewood cutters with a broad torque curve, and cut the best with an 18-20" bar. It does get a little heavy after a full day of firewood cutting, but it will cut just about anything within reason that you will run into. They discontinued the 365 this year and it was replaced with the 570.

I haven't run the 359, but I have run the 357 and 362xp and thought the bigger cc's were much better for what I wanted them to do. The 362xp also uses the same small bar mount that the 254 did.

From the saws you listed, for a stock saw, my choice would be the ms361.
I own a 5100 and it's a great saw, but for hardwood in the 12-15" range I'd prefer a little more poop than what the stock 5100 has to offer.

Lakeside53 said:
Welcome... If you've been lurking on this site you'll have seen a few characters.. most are kind hearted, but some love to poke fun - feel free to give back what you get, or more! One other thing ... there's a reward for the first guy that tracks down SIMON... so if you want to earn a buck (just one), find him for us!

I'll see your dollar and raise you a dollar:laugh: Maybe if we make this worth somebody's time they'll actually track him down...might even make a National Geographic special out of it.

thanks fellas again for your imput, much appreciated!! Being that the 365 husky is so popular, i wonder if any of you have run both the 365 husky and
the stihl ms 361, and could give me a comparison of the two in respect to
power, smoothness and balance. curt

I have never used a 365, but be aware that it (the powerhead) weights a bit more than adverticed, and over a pound more than the MS361.

Back