What Saw Would You Buy??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does burn "easier" than hardwood while still green and unseasoned though, thus leading people to burn it green, and leading to problems. As Wendell said, as long as it is seasoned (just like any firewood) it won't smolder and produce creosote in the chimney.

Chevy,

Best bet?
Find a GOOD used ms361 or 357xp. for an overall one saw plan without bustin' the budget.

Check the tradin' post daily for a week or so. Something juicy is always turning up.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

pjwoolw I understand what you are saying about the saws being posted for a long time. I was at the Chico Husky dealer today. They were very helpfull. There is a Stihl dealer in Chico and one in Oroville (the town i live in) and both dealers are the same owners.

nmurph Thanks for the tips. If i get a chance i will go check them out.

dingeryote If you or anyone else knows of a good used saw out there i am willing to pay shiping

Erick....by the drill bit or a dremel tool are you refering to a muffler mod? Does it help out alot on the 359? With that mod would it pull that 24" with a full skip ok? I know that the 359 is not a PRO SAW but will it last a long time? I am a HUGE maintinance guy and take care of my tools.

Yes I mean a muff mod, and yes it does help... this saw wakes up pretty well with a muff mod, a little port work (if you wanted to go there) will turn it into a 12lb 70cc saw. :D

Don’t let all the labels fool you the 359 is every bit as much a "pro" construction saw as its XP twin the 357. The only difference between the 357xp and the 359 are the piston and cylinder, the rest of the saw is pretty much the exact same parts. Same thing with the 346/353… same saw different jug and slug. Out of your list the 346, 353, and 359 are the only "Pro" construction saws you have to choose from. Not to say that the others are bad mind you, just that those three are a little better and likely to have fewer issues down the road.
With reasonable maintenance, fresh fuel, good oil, and a sharp chain that saw should last you many, many years, if not a lifetime. :cheers:

Last edited:
Way cool. I have a place in Butte Meadows and our boat is in storage in Oroville. We go out when there is water and have the time. Whats the lake look like? Last time I was there it was a little puddle.

Pretty much a big mud puddle. We have got some good rain and snow pack in the hills so it is getting better but they are still letting water out (have to feed SoCal).

Thanks for the heads up pjwoolw. I am not trying to be a smart ass, i dont want it to come across that way but have you seen his saws? What makes you say that they are overpriced junk? What is a good price for a used 044 or a 440?

if you can buy a new saw [ warranty] i would get any of those saws but the 460 rancher on your list im partial to huskys and if i did buy a stihl i would opt for the ms 391 or 390 i dont remember what model u were talking about like i said partial to huskys, but i used to own a old 039 stihl that kicked butt!
:chainsaw:

one of my very first saw vids. muffler modded 359 puln the 24" in willow
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqEKwaPMOIo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqEKwaPMOIo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

out of your list id pick the 359 and 20" bar. its capable to a 24" bar to.

but i would also sugest a used 70cc or heck a new one if you can swing 800bucks. my first pic for the size wood you mention would be the 044/440 the 372 or a brand spanking new 460stihl

+1

i like the 359 from the new saw list but it is difficult to beat a ms440 for a cut anything type of saw.

the 440/044 handles very well for a big saw and ain't very heavy with a 20" bar to boot.

much the same can be said about the 372xp. you should be able to find a good ms440 or 372xp for quite a bit under the price of a new 359 if you shop around.

If I needed a saw for what you say and had to pick from your list... for my money I'd get the 359 w/ an 18" (or 20" bar you know more about what size trees you cut than we do) and a 24" bar with skip chain for when you need it.

The 359/18" combo is light enough to cut with all day even it's limb work and it will pull the 24" bar w/skip comfortably when you need to get into the bigger stuff.

A little overbucking with a 24" will get you through 28"-30" trees in a single pass. Double cutting with a 24" bar will have you safely cutting 46"+ trees and that’s really all the tree you need to be cutting anyway. ;)

If you have a drill bit or a Dremel tool and a willingness to use it the 359 is by far the clear winner here. :cheers:

I second the 359. Often overlooked and under rated because it lacks 2 letters in the model number. My 359 woke up a lot after my muffler mod and it wasn't bad at all before. Now with the 372 in the mix it's a tough choice, but I think the 372 will keep the 24" bar and the 359 will get the medium sized work.

I vote for the MS391 - it should handle the 24" bar you need. Otherwise you may consider trying to buy a used MS361, that is something you may consider if you'd buy a used saw. Happy Sawing!
Tommy

So it looks like for the saws that i had in the first post there are a couple of votes for the MS391 but most seem to be for the Husky 359. In everyones opinion if both saws are modded is the 359 still the winner? I think what the plan is if it works out is to find a used 361 or a 440,044,460 or a 372 that is in good shape and then have more saw than i need rather than the minimum that i need. Are there any other Huskys that are in this size range other than the 372 that i should keep my eye out for?

So it looks like for the saws that i had in the first post there are a couple of votes for the MS391 but most seem to be for the Husky 359. In everyones opinion if both saws are modded is the 359 still the winner? I think what the plan is if it works out is to find a used 361 or a 440,044,460 or a 372 that is in good shape and then have more saw than i need rather than the minimum that i need. Are there any other Huskys that are in this size range other than the 372 that i should keep my eye out for?

Other than the 372.....you could find its predecessor the 371 or 272.... or the 570, 575, 576, which are newer strato saws that are in the 70cc class. All will run a 24" bar well. Also keep an eye out for a Jonsered 2071 or 2171 basically the same saw as the 372.

Latest posts

Back