Old 346xp and New Husky questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close, but the kW rating was 2.5.......:)

You are the man! It's KW and 2.5.... My mistake. Very good to know it's 3.4hp. :cheers:

nmurph now you are making sense.......just skip the 372 (it is a fine saw) and grab a dolmar 7900. same weight and a whole lot more power......or, send your 346 to someone and let them port it and you will probably decide you don't need a 70cc saw. even muffler modding that saw will change its attitude.

OK, I already know I don't need a 70cc, but I do need a 2nd saw. I really like the idea of a souped up 346xp. Maybe soup up the old 346xp and get a new 346xp. This might work and be fun also :D

My vote would be a 357XP or the 359. Our local tractor supply stores are selling the 359's for $499.:popcorn:

Well, my local dealer the 357xp is $200 more than the 346xp. I just get the feeling that it's not worth $200 more?

346xp here is $499. The 359 is $539, plus a new muff.

Stephen C. I had a new 372XP and I sold it because it just felt like more saw than I needed for cutting firewood.

My thoughts exactly. Good lookin saw though! And the 357 is close to same price as the 372...

I feel a 346xp is all the saw I need for firewood. Actually it is the only saw I've used the last 9 years :popcorn:

I guess the big question is; is the 357xp worth $200 more than the 346xp? Is it that much more saw?

Last edited:
Soup up the new one?.....Now that's an idea.

Thanks folks!

Well, it is a bit heavier and have more cc - so why not let it have the most power as well?

Also, I'd say it is a bad idea to use a lot of money on having an old engine modded! :)

Last edited:
There is a difference btw your OE 346 and the NE 346 but to me it isn't enough difference to have one of each. Good choice on the 372 that will make a good pair w/ your 346.

My thoughts exactly. Good lookin saw though! And the 357 is close to same price as the 372...

I feel a 346xp is all the saw I need for firewood. Actually it is the only saw I've used the last 9 years :popcorn:

I guess the big question is; is the 357xp worth $200 more than the 346xp? Is it that much more saw?

In a word....NO!

I would buy a 372 any day before buying a 357. I would also buy a 361 over a 357.

The 357xp has noticeably more power than the 346xp--it really is a great firewood saw or all-rounder. I ended up with the 372xp/ 346xp combo because of advice on this site and I really like the smaller saw for a lot of clean-up we do on the farm, then the 372 can get rid of the large fencerow trees. However, the 357xp kind of falls between the cracks as a tweener saw but it has all the characteristics of its more popular xp brothers--lightning acceleration, great anti-vibes, good air filtration and good handling--it also makes plenty more power than the 346xp (I am talking stock saws). The only draw back of the 357xp for me is the price tag. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with any of these choices, but if it were me I wouldn't buy the 346xpne if you already have the old addition.
:cheers:
Tim

The 357xp has noticeably more power than the 346xp--it really is a great firewood saw or all-rounder. I ended up with the 372xp/ 346xp combo because of advice on this site and I really like the smaller saw for a lot of clean-up we do on the farm, then the 372 can get rid of the large fencerow trees. However, the 357xp kind of falls between the cracks as a tweener saw but it has all the characteristics of its more popular xp brothers--lightning acceleration, great anti-vibes, good air filtration and good handling--it also makes plenty more power than the 346xp (I am talking stock saws). The only draw back of the 357xp for me is the price tag. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with any of these choices, but if it were me I wouldn't buy the 346xpne if you already have the old addition.
:cheers:
Tim

:agree2:

The 346/372 combo is one of if not the best pair of firewood saws out there.

I just read a bunch of Brad's posts about moding the 346xp. I might be in trouble :)

Lots to think about. I'll get up to the dealer for some more lookin...

Thanks guys! :cheers:

I keep reading over your original post, and to me it seems that a 346 NE would be all that you need. But I would get it, then keep the other one for backup. 20" wood is'nt going to slow it down any.

Then, later on I would maybe think about a 372 if you think you need it then.

But you could talk someone like Brad Snelling into modding that new 346 NE and it would then be the only saw you would need IMO.

Now that said, I think you would be better suited with a ms361 but since I cant talk you into that one, I will stick with the 346 NE for my choice! :)

To me it just seems crazy if your going to only have 2 saws to have 2 346's????????????? Am I missing something here? I don't care that the NE is great, but it can't be that much greater then the old 346 to have them both as a 2 saw plan.

yeah, get away from the brand bias. Both companys make good and bad saws. In some categories they are dead even, in others there is a clear winner.
200T wins top handle
346xp wins 50cc
MS361 wins 60cc
044/440 wins 70cc
MS460 and 372xpw no clear winner - depends on preference of antivibe really
MS660 and 394/5 I'd say are even again depends on preference.

So if you want the best 60cc class saw get a 361 while there is still stock floating around. If you want them all to colour match then just get an orange one.

Saw a mistake and corrected it for ya!:D

Latest posts

Back